I Called In Yesterday

Yesterday I was supposed to work from 11 to 4. But I didn’t feel well. I always pride myself on not calling in sick. But my stomach was telling me otherwise yesterday. I’ve been at this job for just over 6 months. And I’ve never called in sick. So I hope that I don’t get into any trouble today when I go in for the morning shift. Plus, I was dizzy off and on. I would lay down and my head would feel full. It was like hearing the ocean in my ears. That was probably due to my sinuses. Anyway, I don’t like to call in.
I never liked to call in but I learned at one job that when I felt a little unwell and worked anyway, others sometimes got seriously sick from my problem, so calling in was needed. Just like for you. Besides, you did not want to drive and work feeling dizzy.
When you are sick, you don't have too much choice.
@dodo19 (33612)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
I hope you're feeling better now, and are able to get through the day alright.
Nobody likes to call in, but when we're sick we don't really have a choice. I don't think that you could get into trouble for calling in unless you had a lot of time lost or there was a pattern. I hope that you're feeling better today.
@pgiblett (6587)
Employers know those who are faking sickness and those who are genuine. The fakers tend to push the limits of what is allowable while genuine people worry about the time they take off.
@alberello75 (18672)
• Genova, Italy
I hope that on your work, they have realized that you were not good. Right?
It's better than exposing all to what ails you. I always appreciated people who stayed home when they were sick.
@Marcyaz (35606)
There are times when you just know you can't go into work or you will feel even worse then you did. I never liked to call in sick when I worked but a few times I had to. Hope you feel better today.
@BettyB (4209)
• Summerville, South Carolina
Like you, I always felt guilty calling in. But when you don't feel well, going to work would be pointless. Besides, your coworkers don't need to catch whatever you got. I hope you feel better today.
@topffer (36105)
• Svalbard And Jan Mayen
If it is the first time in six months and only for one day, your employer will certainly not cause you any trouble. I do not know the average number of days of sick leave in your country, here it is 34.7 days/year, and with only 1 day in 6 months you would be considered like a very good employee by any boss
@topffer Thank you. 34 days is what the average is over there? That's more than a whole month!
@topffer Good grief. !! That's a ton of days off sick. Working part time for my job now, I get no paid vacation or sick days. Full time for most jobs here is a week or two of vacation.
@topffer (36105)
• Svalbard And Jan Mayen
@Susan2015 The first day of sick leave is not paid here, the following days are paid at 100% of our wages, shared between the social security and the employer. I do not know exactly the details : my maximum of sick leave has been 2 weeks for a surgery, and it was years ago.
Calling in was probably the best for you and hope you are feeling better
@LoriAMoore (4678)
I hope you're feeling better now.
Hopefully, you feel better now. Your good record speaks for itself I think. When you are sick, you are sic.
@CRK109 (14413)
They give you those days for times like this when you really do need them. Most good employees only use them when they really have to and you're no exception to that rule. Better to stay home than to have something bad happen on the job.
@CRK109 I don't get paid if I don't go in.
@CRK109 (14413)
@Susan2015 That's the case with most jobs today and another reason why most people should only use those days when they are really sick. I remember once when my husband went into work not feeling well and they ended up having to call an ambulance for him. Would have been better if he'd just stayed home.
@PatZAnthony (13047)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Most we know never call in no matter how ill they are. But, then are you doing yourself wrong by not taking care of an illness? It is a tough call.
@PatZAnthony Glad I stayed home that day.
I was one that was not fond of calling in either. It shocked me how many freezing cold day I traveled by bus to get to that boring job.
I don't like calling in either and I hope you are feeling better soon.
@sofssu (14447)
I bet you had no choice.. And there is no point in getting to work and not being able to do anything..
Six months with no absences, that is very impressive. In my current work, we aren't allowed to be absent from work on weekends are these are critical work days. Didn't miss a weekend for the first four years and then finally missed one Saturday because I had to attend to an important personal matter. The following Monday, when the CEO saw me at work he thought I got shot or got into really serious trouble as in got arrested because I missed work. He said that he didn't expect me to miss a weekend. Wasn't so sure if that was a compliment or an underhanded slight but I just brushed it off eventually.
Well, if you do get in trouble, shrug, and say, ok next time I will just come throw up here and expose everyone to the flu, I apologize for assuming you'd rather me keep that at home