My Top 25 Johnny Cash Songs: Sunday Morning Coming Down (#5)

@FourWalls (13788)
I saved the countdown of my 25 favorite Johnny Cash songs for last today, because I'm certain this is going to cause a few cries of "foul!" Why? Because I have this song rated so "low." #5: Sunday Morning Coming Down Kris Kristofferson just turned 80 this week. And that man is one hell of a songwriter. You need proof? Listen to the lyrics of this song. This is one of the most iconic songs of my generation (or any generation) because it is so exceptionally well written. A little history/trivia about this: Columbia Records wanted Cash to change the line "wishing, lord, that I was stoned" to remove the implication of drug use. Cash obstinately refused. He did, however, edit Kristofferson's original lyrics: Kris' version had the man lighting up his first cigarette "and watched a small kid cussing at a can that he'd been kicking." Cash, with his religious beliefs intact, changed it to "playing with a can that he'd been kicking." Other than that, all I can say is close your eyes, listen intently to each and every word that Kristofferson wrote and wish, too, that you were stoned...and that commercial, mainstream songwriters would write something remotely close to this. Even in the same time zone would be nice. PS -- the song's co-writer, Fred Foster, was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame this year, primarily as the founder of Monument Records and his work as a record producer. Sunday Morning Coming Down Written by Kris Kristofferson and Fred Foster From The Johnny Cash Show, 1970 The incredible brilliance that is "Sunday Morning Coming Down":
Country music patriarch Johnny Cash, the "Man in Black," has walked the line between rock and country since his early days as a rockabilly singer. Johnny Cas...
I can't get past the fact Kristofferson is 80. I know he looks old and playing old geezers in movies but still to read the actual number.
This is a wonderful song. I've always thought the lyrics were incredible too. I can't believe Kris has turned 80.
This would be my #1. I've loved it since I was a little kid, I even had to ask my parents what "stoned" was. I play this on the jukebox Everytime I go to the bar.
@sj3011 (631)
Lyrics are more than awesome from where you get these songs ?
@FourWalls (13788)
I've known these songs all my life. My parents were Johnny Cash fans, so his albums have always been in my home.