Faith and the lack of it

Teddy in the light, sofspics
By sofs
@sofssu (14448)
One of the speakers invited to my son's school for the achievements day a few years ago started his address by asking a question," what is faith?" No one in the large audience volunteered an answer, so he proceed to answer and demonstrate faith. He said, "My faith is that this chair with take my weight." and proceeded to sit on the chair. One of the legs of the chair suddenly gave way and he fell to the floor with a thud. After a moment's stunned silence the crowd burst out into uncontrollable laughter. I just sat there wondering if the law of opposites was at work. Its just when you confidently declare something the opposite happens. Have you ever had that happen to you before? It may be nothing as dramatic as this but something simpler perhaps.
@1creekgirl (11482)
It might have been "pride goes before a fall" literally or maybe he planned it that way. He probably went on to say that faith can be experienced in many different ways.
@sofssu (14448)
@1creekgirl The man was actually trying to demonstrate faith and was so dumb struck by his fall.. He kind of recovered after a few minutes and proceeded with his speech after the principal helped him to his feet.
@1creekgirl (11482)
@sofssu I bet that was funny. And probably more memorable than if the chair had not broken.
@sofssu (14448)
@1creekgirl It sure was.. I still remember this incident every once in a while and have a good laugh.
@sofssu Faith is more than what he was demonstrating. There is a 'Hollow' Faith and an eternal Faith. Hollow Faith is put in what can be seen (a chair) which often fails. Eternal Faith is put in what is not seen but experienced as part of every moment of life (the breath I take) it will carry me to the end and then follow up with something only imagined while I was living.
@sofssu (14448)
@Berniezeitler That was exactly what the poor man was trying to demonstrate.. but luck would have it that even before he got started he had a fall. However, he did deliver a wonderful and inspiring message in the end.
I always have faith even when I fail at something. I try not to declare as I make too many mistakes. I say I will try.
@sofssu (14448)
@Susan2015 Faith is unfailing.. I bet everyone of us makes mistakes.. I do not see a problem in declaration of faith.. but its just that the way this whole incident happened that made it hilarious.
Faith does help you get through bad times. Was the chair fixed so it would give away. Interesting.
@sofssu (14448)
@jstory07 The man was as shocked as any of us in the audience. He followed up with a solemn speech on faith and how we need to hold on to it despite the circumstances.
@sj3011 (631)
Ya sometimes
@sofssu (14448)
@sj3011 Why not tell us something more about what happened?
That is so funny. No wonder everyone laughed. What else could you do? I guess sometimes our faith is misplaced.
@sofssu (14448)
@JudyEv LOL it is misplaced at times.. I can't help remembering the incident each time the word faith is mentioned.
@sofssu It would rock your 'faith' for a while wouldn't it? :)
@sofssu (14448)
@JudyEv Thankfully after so many years of training my faith has come a long way and I don't get shaken so easily.
I can't think of any occasion but then I seldom confidently declare anything I guess lol
@sofssu (14448)
@BelleStarr Oh you of little faith... Just kidding
@sofssu lol I guess I have private faith!! But I do firmly believe in Murphy's law which I think is what hit him !!
@sofssu (14448)
@BelleStarr Murphy's law it is!!
Usually when I say that I can do something easily, and I fail miserably, then the faith in what I said I could do is shattered.
@sofssu (14448)
@Corbin5 so true. However the man used the whole episode to talk about why we need to hold on to our faith despite our circumstances.
@sofssu Yes, holding onto faith should be done often enough so that it becomes a habit.
@sofssu (14448)
@Corbin5 We need to walk by faith everyday.. it needs to become our sight.
@1hopefulman (31684)
Interesting! So, it seems that his faith was misplaced. While man can do much, we cannot have absolute trust or faith in man or what man makes. And yes, at times the opposite of what we say or want happens. That is life now.
@sofssu (14448)
@1hopefulman It did look like that to those who don't know him.. he was trying to illustrates kinds of faith. He is such a great man of God.
@1hopefulman (31684)
@sofssu So, did he end the speech when the chair collapsed or is there more?
So he didn't expect that the chair will give way ?
@sofssu (14448)
@SIMPLYD Nope he confidently sat on the chair.. as he was sitting on it before the principal introduced him as the speaker of the day.
@sofssu Oh my !
that leg is why I have issues with faith, too often what you trust to be real and solid, is not
@sofssu (14448)
@Jessicalynnt Really? Faith is really holding on to what you believe in despite the circumstances. Its when you hang on that thread that you see miracles happen. I've seen them far too many times in my life to doubt it.
@sofssu I dont doubt others their faith, just gotten kicked too many times when I was down to have much of my own
I took a seminar on believing in yourself and how others must feel, especially those with learning disabilities. It hit home!
@sofssu (14448)
@DianneN I bet it helped you a lot.. I have learned so much from these lessons on faith and self belief. However this one started of like a practical joke was played on the speaker.
@sofssu That's what grabs your attention. Lol!
@shubhu3 (15852)
• New Delhi, India
That was funny lol. Well yeah it happens lot it's like recently for example me and my friend had planned to meet on Sunday but now he is like he won't be able to make it.So we Iexpecte the meet yet the meet is not possible for tomorrow . :p
@sofssu (14448)
@shubhu3 It was really funny indeed. Yup .. it happens.. sometimes just when you confidently say something you get caught up n other stuff.
@shubhu3 (15852)
• New Delhi, India
@sofssu Yeah exactly.
@sueznewz2 (10121)
• Alicante, Spain
That was funny ..but unfortunate. .. but i'm glad it didn't stop him from delivering his message...
@sofssu (14448)
@sueznewz2 IT started of being funny,.. but he did make a great example of what happened in his speech.