We walk before we walk

@sallypup (18509)
Moses Lake, Washington
@Corbin5 got me to thinking. Uh oh. I had a long B.S era- Before Sally not what you are thinking even though you may still be thinking that. We had to say goodbye to our dearest yellow Lab due to old age. I then looked around for an Australian Cattle Dog. Found our Sally pup. And found a world of hurt. This little gal never got very big. Her attitude?? A Great Dane mixed with a cannon ball. Wasn't long before I knew, just knew, I needed help. Somebody help me. Please. Two obedience classes later and rounds with kennel club people and I was better informed on walking the dog before you head out on a walk. Do not expect the pooch to know that he or she will maim you and your precious body if they run you down the street. No. Just be consistent and firm and patient, patient, patient. Figure out what a circle looks like. Practice your figure eights. Anything but the expected. And firmly say heel! Pat the left leg. And suddenly dive to the right, to the left. Heel! pooch right here. No not in front. We're going to make a trip around that chair, that pole, that something and hey, its going to be fun!! Cause you will get tons of praise for NOT yanking me down the road. The bonus: exercise for both human and the dog. Promise.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
Yeah, training the dog.
@sallypup (18509)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@RichardMeister More like training the human.
Well, this helps me. Will use this with Molly. Bookmarked this and we will practice. She really does need to learn that she has to go the way I am going even if she does not want to. She really is testing me. It is amazing how a medium-sized dog has so much muscle. Thanks for this information.
@sallypup (18509)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Corbin5 I am glad you found this useful. But first start a game with Molly. In the house where there is nothing to distract her. No collar or leash. Have teeny bits of something yummy- popcorn, cheese, whatever. Teeny. Get an excited voice. Say look at me! Molly looks. Pop. Toss her a teeny goodie. Do it again: Look at me. She looks your way. Pop her that treat. Get her used to looking at you and noticing you. Hey! Who knows. Human might have a treat for me. This gets the dog in the mode to do other things like walking by you and not out out by the bushes. Does Mollly know to sit or lie down? If so, do some of that practice in the house, making it a game. Then she is more used to you being the BOSS. The leader. In the house again, you can also start her sitting by your left side. Praise is a huge treat. Molly's butt is beside your left leg. Oh you are a good girl!!
@sallypup I was still working when Molly was a puppy. My husband was retired, and he was the one who trained her. He did a pretty good job, but her going after a cat or bunny has caused me to go splat on the ground and she has broken free of the leash if I do not have a firm grip on it. Will do the practice you outlined and see if I can get more control of her. She does know how to sit and lie down, so that is a good thing. I know she thinks of my husband as the leader, but I need to show her I am leader too. Thanks so much for your help.
@sallypup (18509)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Corbin5 Great and you are welcome. Our dogs generally run over my hubby. I am the mean one in the pack. Molly knows sit and lie down. Start with that- just for a couple of seconds, have her sit and lie down for you in the house where there is no distraction. That will get her going on the idea of you being her leader. Have her sit or lie down a few times during the day. Never for long. Just as you two go through your day. She needs to know that you expect things from her. That should lead her to being better when you get to the leash.
@shivamani10 (9393)
• Hyderabad, India
Training the dog or training the Human is somewhat confusing me.
@sallypup (18509)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@shivamani10 Many dog trainers say that its not the dog that needs training. Its the human who needs to be trained. The human must learn the language of the dog. Good question. Thanks.