I Thought I Saw My First Driverless Car

When I was going to the hospital yesterday to visit my mom I came up behind a small car at a red light. I happened to notice that no one was driving the car and the only thing I could see on the drivers side was the head-rest. When the light turned green the car moved ahead and still it appeared as if no one was driving. At the next light the car stopped and I was making a right turn so I pulled up next to it and of course my curiosity got the better of me and I had to glance over and see if anyone was driving. There in the drivers seat was the oldest man I've ever seen who just happened to be the size of a gnome and he had a death grip on the steering wheel. He could barely see over the dashboard and I was glad that I didn't have to follow this car any further. Maybe in this case a driverless car would have worked for this guy.
We have a tiny friend who just about has to peer through the steering wheel to see the road. They obviously don't design cars for tiny people.
At least this man was driving a pretty small compact car
LOL!!!! I've seen drivers like that. A driverless car or a taxi would be a safer bet for him and everyone else on the road.
Exactly. Just think how wonderful it will be when traffic accidents are a thing of the past. It will also give old and handicapped people mobility they do not have now.
@DianneN That is like my sister says if i could drive and had a license i would be a danger on the road to everybody else and myself. I am just unable to see over the steering wheel, and i admit i always have my mind on something i am reading r what i am writing. I don't think about what is around me.Plus, my sister says i trip on thin air. Which i do am always having accidents and falls.
@Marty1 it seems as if you have a very smart sister to advise you not to drive if you are accident prone
lol that's funny. Glad to hear it wasn't a car driving by its self.
LOL, this is funny, it also happened to us. I have not yet seen a driverless car, but I have heard that in a Swiss village they have a driverless bus to bring students to school. I am not sure if I would like to try it.
@Marty1 The kids are always supervised by an adult here, even if the school bus has a driver.
I dont' know if I'd feel safe sending my child off to school in a driverless bus
@Marilynda1225 I am not sure I would feel safe, even if I have been on several metro lines that are driverless. Like the one in Milan (Italy), the Lausanne metro here in Switzerland, the ATL Skytrain in Atlanta. There are plenty around the world.
Perhaps he could drive alright, but I think there should be a mandatory test to see if they are still capable of driving after the age of 70.
@jabouk I know in my state they don;t have a test for everyone they pick a couple drivers out a year to test them.that are over 65 years old. But most drivers don't have to take a test.
@Marilynda1225 my grandma could not see over the steering wheel and she refused to use turn signals or brakes because she didn't want to wear them out. She drove to 90 when the family took her keys away.
I loved your posr. Iwas curious too
@ilocosboy (33267)
Well, you just don't know, it might be driverless car and that man just pretending to drive he he
That situation is why I am looking forward to them showing up. Eventually I will be an old driver, not just older, but old. At this time, a driverless car seems wise since we really don't have public transportation either locally or for distances.
Our public transportation is lacking here also so when it comes time to give up my license and car I'll have to rely on my children
@Marilynda1225 Good luck with that. Children often move away. Mine did. My sister's didn't, but they would not be good for transportation. They think their reason for being is to work. They leave early and don't get home until late.
@ElizabethWallace that is the way my sister is working or taking my nephew to soccer games or tournaments. She tries to drive me when she can but I often have to get rides from others
@shivamani10 (10688)
• Hyderabad, India
You are lucky. You would have been the morning victim if he had driven the car properly.
Sheesh! Couldn't he have thought to sit on a pillow? My mother in law used to!
He certainly needed some sort of pillow or cushion so he could see over the steering wheel.
@Marilynda1225 Did you see the news today? The first fatal accident involving a driverless car. The guy was watching a movie instead of driving his car.
Could he see over the steering wheel?
He could barely see over the steering wheel and he was probably the size of my 10 yr old grandson. If he didn't have a big white bushy beard and look like a gnome I would have thought some kid stole their parents car
@Marilynda1225 Those who can't see over the steering wheel with an unobstructed view should not be driving, I think.
@vickyrose (1981)
• Canberra, Australia
It probably would if we just program where the car will travel. I hope that I will own one in my lifetime.
As much as they sound like a perfect solution I don't know if I'd feel safe in a driverless car
Are you sure he was human
Maybe he was the Travelocity Gnome on tour
YUP! !!
Learn Magic at http://www.penguinmagic.com Vlogs on my 2nd channel: https://www.youtube.com/RahatsIphone Instagram: http://instagram.com/themagicofrahat Twit...
Learn 12 Free Magic Tricks! http://www.penguinmagic.com Invisible Driver Prank Behind The Scenes ? http://bit.ly/1P18sq2 Uber Change Prank ? http://bit.ly/1S...
I can just imagine how curious you are at first , only to be surprised to see him driving like that . But a driverless car should be invented so i can buy one and enjoy riding it without a driver . No need to learn how to drive anymore .
@responsiveme (14415)
Thats really funny
That will be me in 20 years
@Lucky15 (33698)
Hope manufacturers can make.something for them ;)
@miniam (9303)
• Bern, Switzerland
Lol, now you went and ruined my curiosity and excitement, i thought you were going to conclude with saying you confirmed it the car was driverless.
Sorry I ruined it by saying there was an extremely small man driving
@miniam (9303)
• Bern, Switzerland
@Marilynda1225 Still, thanks for a good laugh.
@CRK109 (14354)
oh that poor man! I hope he didn't get into an accident. In those cases, driverless cars would be wonderful!
I've seen small people driving and it looks as if no one is but this was unusually weird. This poor old guy would benefit from either a driverless car or a taxi
@CRK109 (14354)
@Marilynda1225 or a booster seat! lol