What Makes A Good Leader?

@owlwings (39214)
Cambridge, England
Leadership is very much to the fore these days with the upcoming Presidential election in the Unitef States and the reshuffling of the political party leaderships in the UK following the Brexit referendum results. I think that it's time to look at what people consider to be good leadership, so what qualities do you look for in a leader? Who has been a good leader for you, in your opinion, in the past - either in your personal life, your working life or your political life? Why were they a good leader? Have you known any really bad leaders?
My boss, in my opinion, was a good leader. She inspired loyalty and was always fair. I think leaders need to be strong enough to stand up to bullies and others, not lose the common touch and be prepared to make tough decisions if it's for the greater good. With Australia having elections every four years, tough decisions are thin on the ground because politicians can't see past the next election.
@wiLLmaH (8252)
• Singapore, Singapore
A leader must be the first one to follow on the rules.
@inertia4 (27651)
I think America is in trouble. Especially if Trump gets in. He knows nothing about politics. Going to war was never the answer to any problems. All it causes is financial stress all over the place. As for England, I don't know what to think. I understand partly why they wanted out of the union. But on the other hand, I feel that things could have been done differently.
@Yar_Joey (3303)
The new president should abide by the laws of the land and not make his won laws. That will be dictatorship too if he wants all to blindly follow his rules
@Lucky15 (33386)
We will be having a new.leader and quite.excited to see what he will do
Good questions, and I hope I remember to come back to this later in the day after I am a bit more awake to give the answers some thought...right now I am waiting for the caffeine to kick in properly.
@owlwings (39214)
• Cambridge, England
I hope so too. I have had very few responses which have even tried to answer the questions posed!
@owlwings So what qualities do you look for in a leader? Well, they have to have a clue what is going on, to start with...I've seen many that really didn't know what they were going on about. Who has been a good leader for you, in your opinion, in the past - either in your personal life, your working life or your political life? Personal - my paternal grandfather and a couple of teachers. Working - no one really stands out. Political - Is this a trick question? Why were they a good leader? I think it was because they were teaching me, in various ways, that I could indeed rely on myself for lots of things. Have you known any really bad leaders? Lots of them. It seems most don't realize that you don't always lead from the front, and sometimes you need to step back to let others lead for a bit to teach them better.
@Fleura (7191)
I think a key attribute of a leader (good or otherwise) is decisiveness. Even though considered weighing up of all the pros and cons may be a good idea, it is perceived as dithering, people want someone who will decide on a plan of action quickly.
@owlwings (39214)
• Cambridge, England
Very much my first criterion, too. I also think that a good leader is one who knows the strengths and weaknesses of his or her team and uses both to good effect. He or she should also listen to the views of those he leads and be able to make cogent and logical arguments for the position he proposes to support in such a way that even strong dissenters feel that their opinions have been taken into consideration.
@Inlemay (16520)
• South Africa
Leading by example
I think often a good politician doesnt make a good leader. and a good leader might not make a good Head of a country either.
@Vjvals (933)
• Roseville, California
No I haven't. They were mean and abusive. I make a good leader because I'm fair and honest. I can follow or take commands and of course when the higher guidance gives better instruction and secrets to those who were in control, it gave them competence with no morals. But I still have to follow them anyway.
@nanette64 (17610)
• Fairfield, Texas
It 'used' to be (pre-1970's), that leaders listened to their constituents @owlwings . In today's world, it's the power of corporations that run countries.
@JESSY3236 (6463)
Our sunday school class talked about this this past Sunday. I think they should be honest, and have good intentions with people in mind. Also, to be not greedy.
@Macarrosel (7572)
Yes, we had a bad leader before . We even called a dictator.
I have grown less innocent with age as leaders go.
@crossbones27 (19581)
• Redlands, California
The best leaders are usually the ones that do not want to be leaders. Not always, but in many cases from my experiences.
@shshiju (10490)
• Cochin, India
Leader must lead in all things that needed.
I would want a leader who is self-confident but not ethnocentric, one who is honest but not rude (you know direct and subtle) and of course one who includes the suggestions of others should people feel there may be a better way--- so flexible in their thinking processes
• Austin, Texas
A good leader is someone who respects your humanity and doesn't require or demand that you do things that they won't do. In other words, they're not afraid of hard work. If they have to use their own hands to get the job done and work along side you, they will.
@shivamani10 (11233)
• Hyderabad, India
A leader will be a leader. I do not think there will be like 'GOOD LEADER AND BAD LEADER'. A leader is born and not made in any Educational Institutions. They fight for a cause from gross root level. The achievements, medals, awards are not meant for them . THEY START COUNTING THEIR GOAL FROM THE POINT OTHERS STOP IN A RACING EVENT.