Unexpected Item in the Bagging Area

@owlwings (38864)
Cambridge, England
I was shopping at Sainsbury's the other day and was using the self-service checkout. I had chosen one of those bakery items which you have to look up on the system. Actually, I had two different items in the same bag and I didn't see how I could choose one and then the other without triggering either the "Now put the item in the bagging area" or the "Unexpected Item in the Bagging Area" message. I could, of course, have taken one bread roll out of the bag and put it unprotected amongst my other shopping but that didn't seem right. In the end, I typed 2 of the more expensive item and put them in the bagging area. That worked (and I didn't mind paying a few pence more than I should for the other item) but an assistant was at my side in a moment, pointing out that I was over-charging myself. He waved his card at the machine and entered the two items correctly, for which I was grateful. It only occured to me later, of course, that the assistant in the self-service area is really there to prevent customers from cheating the system but his vigilance certainly saved me a few pence! I believe that the machines no longer say "Unexpected Item in the Bagging Area" but I'm sure that the jokes about it will live on for a long time. Do you use the self-service tills or do you prefer to wait in line for a staffed till to be free? I find it quicker to use self-service when I can and I don't at all miss the small talk and well-disguised raised eyebrows which say "Whatever does he want THAT for?".
@vandana7 (62335)
LOL... at that last line. lol We do not have those self-service tills. So we have to go through those lines. :) But sweet of him to have told you that you would be overpaying. :)
Well that was kind of the assistant to even take notice! Oh, but machines do still say "Unexpected Item in the Bagging Area". As it goes by weight, my little son often triggers the message because he lays his hands on the bagging area - HE is the unexpected item . If I only have a few items and the line for self service happens to be much shorter than the regular lines, then I go check out myself. Otherwise, I don't mind the chit chat with the cashier . . . it makes me think I'm helping the employees with their customer service skills !
@sishy7 (27667)
Yeah, messages on problems in the bagging area put me off using the self-service checkout at first. But now I never receive the messages anymore when I use it - either I have mastered it or the machine is no longer too sensitive around the bagging area...
@owlwings (38864)
• Cambridge, England
In Britain, at least, they have replaced the bossy female voice with a more 'acceptable' (to some) male one and it now says 'Please check your bagging area' or something similar if you put something there which weighs 2 or 3 grams more ot less than it should do.
@miniam (9244)
• Bern, Switzerland
I have never used self-checkouts since they arrived.Always wanted to but in the beginning, they were slow, now that most people know how to use them, l feel shy to ask for assistance to be shown how to use one. I feel like if i said i have never used one,they will be like asking $3what part of the world has she been all this time* so l always wait for the cashier
Now I'm curious - wondering what THAT was. But you don't need to tell me. :) Nice of the guy to fix the problem for you.
@PatZAnthony (12343)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
No-because we hope they will keep more employees and not add more self-service aisles.
I use it, but tend to bag stuff in seperate bags, so they dont get their taste on other foods, lol
My husband will use those. I prefer not to. The machines sometimes don't like to accept my coupons.
@akalinus (14612)
I hate them. They rob you of change by shorting you a bit. They also go berzerk when something does not get in the bag. Bells ring and things clang and they act like you are robbing the place. Sheesh, so something did not get in the bag. It is not a federal crime.
@Mike197602 (13363)
• Worcester, England
I never use them I hate them. When I did use them they never worked so I gave up.
• Riga, Latvia
These self service areas are relatively new to Latvia and not every store has them so my hubby and I used it once and luckily did it right @owlwings
I prefer to go through a staffed line - let them do the work.
@garymarsh6 (13202)
I have used the self service till and took twice the usual time to be served by the cashier. I won't use them now unless I only have one item.
kudo's to that person fer tendin' to such fer ya. i'm stubborn 'n refuse to use those self check-out thingies 'nless they knock some off my bill :) don't mind waitin' 'n line.
@koopharper (6289)
I try to use the self service if I know how to work the thing. Good service people will try and make sure customers are charged fairly. It makes for a good experience and actually helps the company.
I always use the wait in line and pay the cashier. I usually write a check, so in line I wait.
@nomus24g (21426)
Sadly, we don't have those self-service kiosks...we still have to stand in a queue at the billing counter
@pgntwo (21551)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Dilemma solved, great story. I must admit to having faced a similar dilemma, not in Sainsbury's tho. I'll opt for the self-service checkouts when 12 items or less has been violated.
@cindiowens (3843)
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
I have tried it a time or two, but only if I have very few items.
@softbabe44 (5908)
• Vancouver, Washington
I wait till one comes available as well but I think those machines think their human.