New Phone Trauma

@boiboing (11502)
Northampton, England
I've never had to make difficult decisions about choosing mobile phones because I've never actually bought one or took out a contract. As long as such things have been widely available, I've had a phone from my various employers. On the plus side, I don't have all the phone anxiety, concerns about whether my phone is new enough or cool enough and all that jazz. On the other, I get what I'm given - and sometimes I hate what I get. I have really not liked my last two Nokia phones which worked with windows instead of android. I finally got an excuse to ask for a new phone - without even dropping it down the toilet (long story). My new car arrives today and has an information system that only works with apple or android. So I asked VERY nicely if I could have an android phone, saying I didn't care what type, just so long as it was android. Sadly there was some miscommunication between IT and procurement that meant the IT guy didn't have time to get it fully set up for me before he left for the day. And now I won't be in the office for 2-3 weeks and I've got to figure out a new Samsung and a new car on the same day. I'm not grumbling - it's nice getting new 'stuff' - and I'm hoping my past android experience means it won't be as painful going from windows phone to android as it was going the opposite direction.
Good luck, my niece had exactly the same problem one month ago, new car and new Android Samsung smart phone. I did not offer my help, she is young and she surely knows better than I do what to do.
I think most of the younger people are well advanced in how to solve their techno problems.
@JudyEv I agree, she can gets the manual, read and do it, even if she prefers to watch what I do.
@WorDazza (7212)
• Manchester, England
Surely moving away from Windows has to lessen your pain no matter what you are moving to!!!
@boiboing (11502)
• Northampton, England
That's certainly what I hope
@Lucky15 (29997)
Am using android..and i have few issues but...still tolerable ;(
@boiboing (11502)
• Northampton, England
I've had android before and it was much better than the windows phone so I am optimistic.
@Asylum (41745)
• Manchester, England
Being accustomed to android does help, but sadly all mobile phones seem have their own idiosyncrasies. I usually renew my mobile every 2 years or so and always have a period of learning before figuring out how to use it properly.
At least when you don't have any say in the phone you get you can complain like crazy - if such is your wont!
@boiboing (11502)
• Northampton, England
very true!
@LoriAMoore (10926)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Enjoy your new phone.
@sofssu (14909)
I feel android phones are much easier to handle.. I am sure you will figure them out soon enough.
@koopharper (6039)
I've actually lived without a cellphone for quite a long time. I worked customer services for a cellphone company and for myself I debate their value. I have android on my tablet and I have the equipment to make Skype calls on it with the free WiFi from work if needed.
Have fun with your new toys! Husband generally finds a phone for me and then I learn by play and doing!
I like androids more myself
Good luck getting your new phone! It would be frustrating to have to wait.
• Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
You will be fine! Enjoy your samsung, I have the S6 egde and I love it!