What did you Read in June?

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Life has been busy, but not so busy that I haven’t been able to add a few books to my list of books completed for the year. We have reached the half way point of 2016 and when I counted I was surprised to find that I have already added forty-two books to my list for the year. I haven’t kept a record of books read in the past, but I am finding that as I age I need to write things down if I don’t want to forget. During the month of June the books I finished included: 1. Moonshiner’s Son by Carolyn Reed, a historical novel aimed at the 9-12 year old crowd, but an interesting look at Prohibition and Appalachian culture nonetheless. My youngest daughter and read this aloud together. 2. Lucy Maud Montgomery Short Stories 1907-1908, the title pretty much speaks for itself. I had loaded this title on to my Kindle a couple of years ago and have been slowly working my way through the stories whenever I’ve wanted a light quick read. 3. Airborne by Kenneth Oppel, a young adult sci-fi/fantasy novel that takes place in an alternate universe in which heavier-than-air flight never quite got off the ground. I was looking for an adventure story to listen to on a drive to and from Roanoke with my daughters and this fit the bill perfectly. 4. The Path Between the Seas by David McCullough. The story of the Panama Canal. An interesting bit of history. This was another audiobook that my daughters and I enjoyed together. 5. 11/22/63 by Stephen King. The last Stephen King novel I tried to read was Christine and it is one of the few books I’ve started and then never finished. I don’t like books that give me nightmares. I don’t like anything in the horror genre and have avoided this author. I thoroughly enjoyed the mix of history and fiction and the “what if...” factor. I checked the audio book out of the public library system, but ended up buying my own Audible copy since the two week check-out period was too short for a book with a 30 hour running time and no renewals due to a long hold list. My list is pretty short this month. How about yours? What did you read in June? I took the photo while waiting for three of my children to finish a kayaking run down the Dan River. The book didn't make my June list...but hopefully I will finish it before the end of July.
I read books, I do not listen to them, it takes more time and I only read an hour or so before going to sleep. I have only read two books in June 'Mr. Mercedes' (Stephen King) and 'End of Watch' (Stephen King). I already read the 11/22/63 soon after it was released.
If I didn't use audiobooks and didn't include books that I read to my teenagers, my list would have only one book this month. Did you enjoy the two Stephen King books you read this month? Were they of the nightmare generating variety?
@Platespinner I liked the two Stephen King, but I have to say that I love thriller and horror stories. They are nightmare generating variety.
@silvermist (17119)
@LadyDuck Was End of Watch good?
• Eugene, Oregon
That King book and his book, On Writing," are the only two I have read of his and I enjoyed them both very much.
I've heard On Writing mentioned a few times. I may add that to my Kindle to read during our upcoming trip (as if vacation is actually going to involve any time to relax and read a book...I can dream).
I read The Weekenders by Mary Kay Andrews. It was the only book of hers that I've read (and I think I've read all of them) that I didn't like.
Any particular reason for your dislike?
@Platespinner oh that would be a whole post in itself
@Njchicaa was it that bad I bought that on my kindle last month. I hope it is okay. I never read any of her other books. Are they good? Any really good ones? I will give it a try this month though.
@LoriAMoore (4924)
Oh no, I forgot to read 3 books for review. Must do that this weekend.
There was a time when I could easily read 3 books in a weekend. And then I grew up and had children .
@silvermist (17119)
@Platespinner You seem to have found time to read in the midst your busy days.It is always good to keep a record of the books we read.I am already reading Inferno by Dan Brown.Though I have not finished it now I had started W is for wasted by Sue Grafton.
I use audio books while driving and when doing chores around the house. It helps me to stay sane!
@silvermist (17119)
@Platespinner I too am thinking about listening to audio books while driving.
@UncleJoe (9186)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I picked up two new books this month but haven't had time to get into either one. I've been chasing a kayak too.
I've only been out in the kayaks twice. The second time was to introduce my sister to the joys of spending time out on the water--between low water (on the Dan River), a thunderstorm that sneaked up on us, and a longer run than she was really ready to tackle, I may have scared her off entirely!
@Platespinner oh dear, hope she gets back into the kayaking. I think I would be afraid liie your sister!
• Midland, Michigan
The only thing I read was mylot posts and the Children's book I edited. Other than that my time is limited and when I read that's all I do, so I don't allow myself much reading time these days.
Most of my "reading" is listening to audio books while working on other tasks. And reading with my kids as part of their schoolwork.
I used to read an awful lot. "Put down that book and go outside was the refrain I heard growing up" And my parents were teachers and had taught me to read. In June I read The Breadwinner a novel by Deborah Ellis. I read part of it to a class while subbing one day and had to get it from the library to read the whole thing. It is aimed at 10-12 year olds I would guess and I read it in a couple of hours. And that is all I read in June!
The Breadwinner is a good one, I've read it with all of my children over the years!
@MarymargII (8711)
• Toronto, Ontario
I haven't read too much lately but used to be such an avid reader- I write a lot on line and that is taking my time up!
If I didn't use audiobooks, I wouldn't get much reading in myself these days. Too many other things to do with my time.
@Platespinner audio books help me too. I "read" one audio book in May. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot?. That one was sitting on a teacher's desk and I picked it up while the class was having DEAR time. (Drop Everything And Read) I had to get it from the library to read (hear) the rest. I signed out Spark Joy by Marie Kondo and could not read it. I will wait until the library has it in audio. I spend a fair bit of time alone in the car, so audio books are good for me. I seem to have lost my ability to sit and read a book.
@paigea I have a copy of the "Immortal Life..." sitting on my bookshelf. It was required reading for my son before he started Uni--I keep meaning to read it, but keep forgetting about it. I do a lot of audio while driving, it's a great way to keep from feeling like I'm wasting time!
@Inlemay (16640)
• South Africa
Mine was shorter - it seems bowling is keeping me out of the leaves of my bindings
Mine is going to be REALLY short for July. Too many other things going on.
@Inlemay (16640)
• South Africa
@Platespinner well having life happen is not a bad thing either.
sadly i aint read a book 'n some years now. the short term memory 'n some vision troubles make such not a pleasant thingy to do.
I'm sorry to hear that, I can't imagine not reading....it's always been my escape.
@Platespinner thanks, hon. there's many things that used to bring me great joy that i can no longer do. i'm jest grateful fer those that i can 'n continue to strive fer better health :)
@else34 (13636)
• New Delhi, India
@Platespinner,This month I read a Hindi novel and a book on jungle adventures of Kenneth Anderson.
Sounds interesting!
@else34 (13636)
• New Delhi, India
@Platespinner If you read Kenneth Anderson,you would find him very interesting.
@nomus24g (18318)
I am currently reading "The Husband's Secret"
That's an intriguing title!
@nomus24g (18318)
@Platespinner its interesting book infact...
@valmnz (13143)
• New Zealand
Impressive. I belong to Goodreads site and log my finished books there. I'm currently reading a book about a New Zealand woman who cycled 5000 km through South America. loving it.
I have an account at Goodreads, but seem to only remember to update things once a year or so.
@Macarrosel (7599)
Wow! That's much for me because I have no time to read books. Well, I used to read books when I was in college.,
Most of my "reading" is audio books while I'm working on something else...or books that I read aloud to my children as part of their schoolwork.
I read A Gate at the Top of the Stairs by Lorrie Moore, An Irish Country Village by Patrick Taylor, and a few others which were not that good.
@JESSY3236 (5446)
I read seven books. Inferno (Dan Brown), Cross My Heart (James Patterson), Hope to Die (James Patterson), Dark Triumph and Mortal Heart (Robin LaFevers), 2001 A Space Odyssey (Arthur C. Clarke), and The Kill Order (James Dashner). I'm almost finishing One Shot (Lee Child).