Favorite 70's One-Hit Wonders #10 - "Be Thankful for What You Got"

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Yesterday, @FourWalls and myself both finished up our Favorite 80's One-Hit Wonders series', so why not keep the momentum going with a Favorite 70's One-Hit Wonders series (be sure to check hers out as well, she comes up with some really good songs.) For #10, let's head to Washington, D.C., birthplace of William DeVaughn. William DeVaughn is a vocalist/guitarist who scored big-time with his 1974 single, "Be Thankful for What You Got." I have a fondness for 70's R&B, and "Be Thankful for What You Got" has been a favorite since I was a kid, when I owned it on a K-Tel compilation back in the day. It oozes soul, and has a positive message: you might NOT drive a Cadillac (sun roof top and a gangsta lean, even,) but you should still be thankful for what you DO have. As I verified my facts on Wikipedia, I learned something I didn't know: the song cost DeVaughn $900 to record. It paid off handsomely: "Be Thankful for What You Got" reached #4 on the Billboard Hot 100, and became a Certified Gold Record. Unfortunately, it has been DeVaughn's only foray into the Top 40. Very Curtis Mayfield-esque (I'm not the only one who thinks so. Wikipedia made the comparison to the legend as well,) "Be Thankful for What You Got" is a mellow urban groove that deserves it's designation as an R&B classic. (I'm using the rules from Wayne Jancik's book The Billboard Book of One-Hit Wonders: An act can only have appeared on the Top 40 of the Hot 100 once. Any sub-charts don't count, and neither do countries other than the States.)
Skip navigation UploadSign inSearch Loading... Close Yeah, keep it Undo Close Watch QueueQueueWatch QueueQueue Loading... Watch Queue Queue __count__/__total__ Loading... Find out whyClose soulbrothanumbahone SubscribeSubscribedUnsubscribe63,89063K Loadin
Easy listenin ….. I remember listenin to it when we were windin down after a party.
It is a pretty good chill out song,isn't it?
It sure is @teamfreak16 but I was about 20 when it hit the scene and back then I wanted to dance to rock music more often than not.
@FourWalls (13795)
I love this song. Great soul music, and the 70s were loaded with that!!
Yeah they were. I love 70's R&B.
I love Mayfield Shaft.
I do too. You got good taste!
His voice reminds of Curtis Mayfield of Superfly fame.
Yeah, he does have a little Curtis Mayfield thing going on.