I Will Hunt Them Down!

In high school, I injured my left knee in high school gymnastics. I was practicing on the uneven parallel bars, and the coach told me, "Deb, you've almost got it! Try it one more time!" I did try it one more time, but messed up, and the two girls who were to be my spotters were talking away, and they failed to catch me. I landed on my left knee and heard an awful crunching sound. Mom had to drive to school and take me to the ER. Wore a brace on that knee for the rest of the school year. That left knee of mine has given me a lot of trouble over the years due to that old injury. The knee would pop out of the socket when least expected when I was in college, and down I would go. Now, aging has made the knee ache when the weather is hot and humid, and the knee will swell, pop, creak and become painful due to post-traumatic arthritis. I can bring the knee back to semi-health and gain normal mobility if I wear the full leg brace that immobilizes the knee during the day, and at night while I sleep, for an entire week. Our high school class has a reunion coming up, and even though I have never attended one of the many high school reunions in the past, I am going to this one because my knee hurts! I have my yearbook. I know the names of those spotters who could have caught me before I landed on that knee if they had paid attention to the job they had been given. All attendees will be wearing name tags. I will hunt them down at the reunion, and I will give both of them a tongue-lashing. I will also ask each lousy-spotter to write me a check for $500.00! That'll show 'em! I would much rather smack each one upside the head, but my knee will probably pop out of place, and down I would go again. Photo: My healing knee brace.
• Marion, Kansas
Those injuries never leave us. I am sure they have no clue how much their neglect has cost you in pain.
Well, I would never yell at them or bop them. I just want to wear the brace to the reunion and show them. Maybe they will promise gifts of some sort.
@boiboing (12524)
• Northampton, England
I think it's time to forgive and move on.
But of course, but one can have fantasies of revenge.
Oh yes, do that please , because by this time they can already pay you that much , since they are already having their owns jobs.
Yes, maybe just a tap. I will wear the brace for guilt-producing purposes.
@Corbin5 Go, go , go so they will be guilty of what they did .
@Teep11 (6539)
You certainly had a lot of painful experiences. Having to wear a brace of any kind can be comfortable. I'm sure you were pretty uncomfortable when you had to go to the hospital. I hope you don't have any more accidents like that. You have a great week.
Wishing you a great week too! I would never say anything to them, just wear the brace and see if they remember they were the cause. Could be fun.
Its nice to be able to go to a reunion for good times, but isn't it a bit harsh to go for the purpose of telling off a couple of people, who made a mistake decades ago and were probably punished for it? I know how bad joint pain can be, but can't you forgive and forget, I'm sure that we've all made poor choices over the course of our lifetime that may have hurt someone else.
I was just kidding in the post. No, I would not blame them. They were just girls being girls. Maybe wearing the brace to the reunion would be a nice topic of conversation.
@Corbin5 Oh good, I didn't think that you would be the spiteful kind. I think that you should wear the highest stiletto heels and dance up a storm to see if they remember, and then ask you how you move like that!
@silvermist (15794)
@Corbin5 Whether you get your revenge or not,I think you should let them know what happened to you because of their carelessness.
I will wear the brace to the reunion, even if I no longer need it. I am sure they will feel just awful. Well, maybe not, but the brace will be a conversation starter.
@silvermist (15794)
@Corbin5 I think,even if you have forgiven them,they should be aware of the consequences of their action(or inaction).
@norcal (3269)
• Nevada City, California
That sounds like it would be very satisfying. I'm sure they will both promptly pay up.
Well, I should just wear the brace and make them feel really bad. That's enough for two old ladies now.
@ridingbet (38080)
does your knee-pain a result of your age now?
It is caused post traumatic arthritis. As we get older, an old injury causes pain. The older I get, the worse the knee gets. It is OK because it heals up a bit in a few weeks if I wear the brace.
@epiffanie (8339)
Oh! that reminds me of my son popped his knee doing kickboxing .. he can't bend his knee like he used to .. I blamed him for joining that sport.. I can understand how you feel even after all those years, when something like that could have been avoided if only those people stayed alert and looked out for you ..
I will just wear the brace to the reunion and see if they remember.
@Lucky15 (33691)
Ouch! I know you have forgiven them ;)
Of course. They were just high school girls. Probably talking about boys. I will just wear the brace to the reunion and see if they remember.
@scheng1 (24947)
Some of them probably are not coming! Perhaps others will give you a tongue-lashing for the bad things you have done to them too! Too bad your knee does not allow you to whack them hard!
Well, just a light tap since they are older now. Would not want to hurt them.
Oh boy that is terrible. Knee injuries just never seem to fully heal.
Post traumatic arthritis is what it is. It does get worse as I get older. It will get better after several weeks with the brace on.
Seriously, it is such a shame that a moment's inattention has resulted in significant trauma in your life - and I guess it isn't going to get any better.
No, I was just kidding, or dreaming, what I would do. I could just wear the brace and hope that a bit of guilt-production results. Then we will have good time.
@CRK109 (14351)
oh those wacky high school reunions! I just missed our last one because of my husband's passing but the ones who attended said they had a great time. I'm sure there will be more because the ones who've made a group on Facebook clearly want to keep in touch. I do hope you're able to attend and that you have a good time! Have you ever looked up any of your old friends on Facebook? We have tons of them around and slowly they've been finding their way to our group.
When I was on Facebook, I connected with many. Luckily, I still live in the same town in which I went to high school, so old friends are close by. I would never blame the girls, just tease them about them letting me plop.
You go get 'em gal ! But the coach was equally to blame. Anyway, I'm sorry that it's caused you a lifetime of pain.
Yes, I think the coach should have known not to make me do it again. I would never blame the girls though since they were just high school kids. Just tease them a lot about it.
bless yer heart :( i'm sure they're most regretful fer their lack'f action. that bein' said, i'd be huntin' the instructor - the adult who's job such ultimately 'twas.
Yes, the girls were just being girls. I would never blame them, just tease them about it.
@louievill (16341)
I have mixed feelings on this one, my Christian side tells me to advise you to forgive and forget but my other side wants to say yeah go and get them cause the suffering inflicted had been going on for years now.
I was just kidding in the discussion. I would never blame them since they were just high school girls. I will tease them about them letting me plop when I see them, though. I forgave them the day it happened. Now, the coach should have known I did not have another try in me.
@acelawrites (10752)
They really ruined your knees due to their lousinesss, and if affected your movement through the years! They should really pay for what they had done. School officials at the gymn should also take responsibility for it.
Back in the day, I think the school could have been held responsible, but it was not the thing to do back then. I do forgive the girls since we were all very young. I will tease them a bit about it, though.
We're behind you on this - go get 'em!
I think I will wear the brace and hope for guilt-reaction. That will be enough. Then, we will have fun. Maybe just a little tap on the head.
@Corbin5 LOL, now much bail money you think you might need?
@AbbyGreenhill Well, for assault and battery, probably a few thousand.
Will you really do that? My reunion is this year too - next month. 45 years. You too? I'm planning to go. I need to get the check in the mail this week.
No, I would not do that. Just kidding, but will have a little talk with them to see what was so darn important to talk about. 2019 will be 50-year reunion. I may just go to that one since I have never attended before.
@Corbin5 Ours will be in 2021. You graduated in 1969 then. I had a crush on a guy who graduated that year and was insanely jealous of the woman he married for a long time, but I did eventually get over it, in fact I can't even remember his name. Really, I can't.
@just4him I remember my crush, Tim. Dated him for a while. He became a judge. Saw his photo on FB a few years ago, and he has not aged well. So glad I found my husband in college. So much better than Tim.