The Neighbour's Revenge

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Yesterday afternoon my oldest son came home from camp for a few hours and brought a horde of other counsellors and support staff with him. Many hamburgers were consumed, along with a significant quantity of potatob salad, homemade mac and cheese, baked beans and chips. The meal was finished off with watermelon, homemade icecream and delicious chocolate cupcakes that had been brought as a special touch to celebrate an international counsellor’s birthday. Our yard was noisy. There was a lot of chatter and it wasn’t all English since the two Brazilian counsellors decided to switch to Portugese when they didn’t want the rest of us to understand what they were saying. But that wasn’t the only noise. Since it was an early Fourth of July celebration, and the male members of my household have pyromaniac tendencies, there were firecrackers and smoke bombs. The pops and bangs of the various pyrotechnics reverbated through our neighbourhood and the guys were having a great time. My son bent over to pick up a suspected dud firecracker and just as he touched it a hearty BOOM rattled the windows of our home. The poor guy nearly messed his drawers and he told me later that he thought for a moment that his life had ended. The first-aid-trained lifeguards, and the paramedic in attendance all were ready to leap into action if necessary. The moment of panic was brief. The dud in my son’s hand was still intact. It seems our neighbour had decided to prove that he could out-do the bangs and pops that we were creating by firing off his cannon. After heart rates slowed back to a more reasonable tempo the entire assemblage decided that the hearty BOOM was the highlight of the evening.
i guessall that ends well is f un afterallk gladnobody got hurt lol
No injuries, just lots of laughter.
@Platespinner yes I laughed too as I read it laugbter so g ood for us
@UncleJoe (9077)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
That would have made great video.
The neighbour's timing could not have been better!
@silvermist (16454)
@Platespinner I am glad that did not prove dangerous.As they say All's well that ends well.You all had such a memorable day.
There is always a risk when handling fireworks, even the small stuff that our family does every year. We're careful, and no one was doing anything stupid, it was just the timing of the big boom that startled everyone.
@silvermist (16454)
@Platespinner I can imagine! And what a perfect timing !
It sounds like you had a lot of fun. I hope your other neighbors live far away.
Our neighbours are all fairly close, but just about everyone sets off fireworks at some point on Independence Day weekend. Last night we were making the noise (though we quit by 9:30) tonight it's another neighbour and tomorrow night it will probably be everyone else.
• Marion, Kansas
It sounds as if your celebration was truly memorable.
It was indeed!
@lilnana1111 (2451)
It's all in the timing, lol.
When I had those parties (I don´t have them now), I usually invited my neighbors. If they did not accept, anyway they knew what would happen.
Pops, bangs and booms are a matter of course on the Independence Day weekend. Our neighbour just wanted to prove that he could out-do anything we had.
@Shiva49 (10660)
Lucky no injury. It could have been worse more than a laugh, thank god - siva
@miniam (9283)
• Bern, Switzerland
That could have been dangerous, im glad he did not get badly injured because fireworks can be deadly,
@RubyHawk (21165)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Sounds like a good time was had by all.
thank goodness such 'twas a dud 'n not jest delayed'n its action - i've seen more'n my fair share (selfish..i know) 'f those tales that didn't work out so well. gigglin' that'cher neighbor's a cannon! no doubt, they wished the last "word" ;)
@LoriAMoore (8170)
That was scary for a moment. Never assume there's a dud firework - hose it down.
That one instance should make for some great stories years from now. I'm glad that nobody was hurt and everyone enjoyed themselves.
@shivamani10 (11154)
• Hyderabad, India
I feared that it was some explosive.
That sounds like a raelly fun time was had by all, despite the heart -stopping moment.