A bit more than I had bargained for...(and a very long discussion)

Sammy Hagar, Vic Johnson, Michael Anthony and Jason Bonham (The Circle) in St Louis July 3rd
Yesterday didn't go quite as I had planned it, in several ways. For those that don't follow my every move , there were a pair of free concerts in St Louis 127 miles from me yesterday. I had been tentatively planning on going to them, and then Thursday morning, the Boss offered me the use of his vehicle for the trip, which effectively guaranteed I was going. Originally, my friend Craig and I had planned to take my van, which only has two single seats. The Boss's SUV can hold 7 passengers, so I told Craig if he knew of a few more people that wanted to go and were willing to shell over $20 each for expenses, we would take a total of 6 people. With money from Craig and 4 others, I'd have $100 to spend on fuel and whatever. Craig found two other people wanting to go, and I could only find one, but still, $80 for gas would mean I wouldn't have to spend anything out of my own pocket for it. My plan yesterday was to pick the vehicle up from my Boss at 1 PM, and make sure I was ready to go pick everyone else up and leave by 2:00. There were two shows: Eddie Money, who I kind of like...I wouldn't ever buy a ticket to go see him, but for free, why not? The second show was someone I go see every year...Sammy Hagar, known as 'The Redrocker', and his band The Circle. Eddie Money was to perform at 6:30, and Sammy Hagar at 8. It is about a 2 and 1/2 hour drive to St Louis, but since Boss doesn't allow smoking in his vehicle, we were leaving a little earlier to make allowances for 'smoke breaks' on the way there. So at 1, I went to my Boss's house. Surprises #1 and #2 were waiting for me there. Brad told me not to worry about gas, he had topped the tank of for me that morning. And then he gave me $60 cash and told me to get something to eat and drinks at the show or whatever (I got a kick out of his wife: her words were "Spend it ALL. Don't you dare try to bring any back to us!" So already, things are looking great; I don't have to mess with gas, and I have spending cash...plus I am still going to get $20 each from the people riding with me. Or so I thought. One of the people Craig brought along was his girlfriend...since they live together, I wouldn't have to do any extra driving to pick her up, so I agreed just $20 would cover both of them. Then the other guy that had told Craig he wanted to go changed his mind, because there was supposed to be rain pretty much all day. Craig and I and Heather (plus Mike, the guy I had found that wanted to go) weren't worried about getting wet...our philosophy was a little bit of water ain't never hurt no one (except the Wicked Witch of the West) and we took a change of clothes each and some towels in case we did get soaked. So now, I am only getting $40 instead of $80...but the Boss gave me $60 and bought the gas, so instead of paying for gas I was sitting with a cool $100. Zounds!!! Egads!!! Holy Macaroni!!! So the four of us leave for St Louis. And it starts raining. And then it starts pouring. And it was raining hard almost all the way there...several times I had to slow down under the speed limit because of water standing on the highway. Which meant instead of taking 2 and 1/2 hours to drive it, it took us three and a half hours including smoke breaks. Suddenly it is 5:30 by the time we find a parking lot to leave the SUV in...and that was about a half hour walk from where the concerts were being held at the park (it took ten minutes to get from the park entrance to the stage). But at least it had stopped raining by this time. So Eddie is already playing when we arrive, and we're thirsty, and just want to sit somewhere for a bit and relax after that drive, so we walked to the lake behind the stage and sat there listening, not really too worried about actually seeing him...the four of us were much more interested in the second show. One bad thing about the venue - no seating. And the ground is soaked from earlier. And since we were late, we can't get near the stage. But that's okay...the stage is at the bottom of a 'bowl' configuration, and it's really loud, so we can see and hear fine...just no where to sit. This didn't really bother Craig, Heather and Mike...they are all (quite) a bit younger than me...but I suffer nerve damage in my legs and feet from diabetes...the half hour walk and all that standing were pretty hard on me. But it was Sammy...and I'll put up with quite a bit to see him. I've traveled to St Louis every summer since 2010 to attend one of his shows. Still, I was pretty miserable by the end of the show, and we still had a 30 minute walk...so we left halfway through the final song (there was a fireworks display immediately after the show, but we weren't interested in that. So we start walking down the road that leads to the park entrance to go to the vehicle. And about 5 minutes after we started walking, the final surprise of the night: A large electric transport vehicle went past us and pulled over next to a van about 15 feet in front of us. And two of the guys that get out to get in the van are members of Sammy's band! Michael Anthony (bass) and Vic Johnson (guitar) were leaving so they wouldn't have to fight the traffic after the fireworks show. Their road managers were in a bit of a hurry, but Mike and Vic did both chat with us for a moment, and Craig (who is a bass player) got to shake hands with Michael. We were so tickled by actually getting to meet them that we pretty much floated on air during the rest of the walk. And as a final note...it didn't rain anymore. The drive home was easy, and while it was a long day, things really worked out a lot better than I had planned. (Photos: The Circle, except the three on the right, top to bottom: The Boss's SUV, Craig and Heather, Mike)
That sounds like a great day. Worth driving in the rain for.
It was sweet. And I think I'm getting the hang of this collage stuff now
@JolietJake It looks very complicated to me.
@paigea I don't know if I could adequately explain it to someone without showing them hands-on, but I've figured how to crop photos and make everything the same size and shrink them all down and stuff after about 90 minutes of fooling around with it today...once I figured out what I was trying to actually do, it became almost simple
What a great story! The rain on the drive down was the only misfortune that you encountered, what did your boss have to say when you told him the story?
I haven't talked to him yet, I don't work today and he was asleep when I dropped his vehicle off at 2 last night
Oh yeah! And I got a photo for you...while we were sitting at the lake, I saw a crane.
@JolietJake Wow, you got a pretty good shot of him. We haven't had ours attempt to go fishing here the past week or so, and we're wondering if its because the carp are spawning on the river a mile or so from here. They might have the all-you-can-eat policy that we think that he was looking for. They are really strange and odd birds aren't they, and I think that is part of their charm.
Very great JJ!! After all that, it was worth it huh? Glad to know you got through it and you all had a wonderful time. Also so nice of your boss to do that for you.
I was the only Sammy 'veteran' (that was my 9th show), it was the first time Craig and Heather and Mike had seen him.
@JolietJake You really like him JJ..glad your friends got to see him, I bet they were wowed!
I am SO happy for you that everything pretty much went really well. I hope your not in too much pain from walking and standing a lot. Sounds like you had an awesome time!
I enjoyed it mostly, but I am glad I only do this once a year.
Doesn't sound like you had two tickets to paradise.
I told Craig Eddie wasn't giving away four so we weren't missing anything
Sounds like a great time overall
It was worth the whole adventure, wasn't it? Goes to show you that things always work out somehow . . . and sometimes it works out a whole lot better than you thought it would!
Craig tends to have humor a bit like mine...after Mike and Vic left and we headed for the car again, Craig looked over and said "You called Sammy and planned that earlier, didn't you?"
@JolietJake Wasn't it kinda surreal talking to members of Sammy's band? You were probably keeping it all cool and real but deep inside maybe you were like "Ohhhhhhh myyyyyyyy gawwwwwwwwwwwwd!"
@much2say I've actually got Sammy's autograph from back in 2011
An excellent post, with a lot more good things than bad. . . what is a little rain. Sorry about the walking and standing, but that is also what is helping your numbers. It sounds like a lot of fun.
It was. I like Sammy a bunch...great music, and he's one of those that is always doing something for people. One year he charged donations to a food pantry in St Louis as the price for tickets...I was almost flat broke, but for a $10 donation I got 4 tickets in the 'cheap seats' section. About a week ago he donated $100,000 to a cancer ward at a hospital out in San Francisco.
@LoriAMoore (4682)
That was quite a day you had!
I wouldn't want to do them very often, or back-to-back, but I think this one will go in my record books for 'most surprising'
Eddie Money was my first concert. Saw him years later with Alice Cooper and Joe Walsh, five bucks, for charity. Still putting on the same show.
@koopharper (6837)
Sounds cool. Getting to meet members of the band is always great. Almost as good as getting backstage passes.
@vandana7 (67684)
Good that you got the vehicle with gas, and some extra money for eating, bad that you could not make 80 dollars company ...and bad that it rained and bad that you had to walk and ground was wet and you were not in as close to the stage as you would have liked to be, and bad that there was no seating...oh hell..god compensated..right...praise be to the lord...as long as you returned satisfied. :)
sounds like the bad things worked out nice in the end!
• Hyderabad, India
Good one at least u make 100$ for free without work and have fun with friends bad thing was rain part , any way u enjoy u music concert for free :))