Have You Ever Considered This?

In the years I've been writing, I've written books, articles, Chart notes etc. On line writing goes back at least 10 years and covers several platforms but only twice have I considered making changes in that writing. First it was when I wrote my first book. I left Associated Content (which became Yahoo Voices when I returned). Initially it was to focus on writing about the challenges of life which became, in the end, my first book to help others with addiction. As it came into focus I returned to online writing more vigorously. Because of platforms changing I ended up at a place which is seldom spoken of here (the infamous B). This site became 'rife' with problems and led me to look for new places to write (including a blog and website). The 'B' site became a less than desirable because of what ultimately caused their demise. I left because of what I saw there and a question that is key to why I write: Can I accept the ethos practiced? What that means is does my desire to write 'fit' with the honesty, integrity and 'brand' that is my basic purpose for writing? The answer came when the rules became so lax that an increase of nasty, rule violating posts was inevitable. (B writers know what I'm talking about). That is how I came to be here. I didn't come solely for money (or even at all for the money). I came because of the integrity of those who encouraged me to come here. Now I face a consideration here. It is not so dire as to suggest leaving, but it is about why I am here? I have found bullies, people who twist words, Plagiarists and other distractions here just as with the other places over the years. The question is more about how much time I spend here? I have other places and projects I can do but enjoy writing here and sharing thoughts. Here is my Question: Have you ever considered what is your focus and if the platform was a good fit for that focus? To say it a different way here is a song stuck in my mind today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMaE6toi4mk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMaE6toi4mk&list=RDxMaE6toi4mk
@Asylum (48357)
• Manchester, England
In my case I began here some 10 years ago and only moved on because the site became problematic once the earnings ceased. I then,settled at Bubblews, but the same happened there once the core members began an exodus. Now I am back home at Mylot. In each instance the site has been appropriate because I use it as a social media site.
@Asylum You understand my quandary well! I like Mylot and enjoy the people (most of them). I just don't know if I will keep up as active a presence. I get tired of people who seem to like twisting and turning words to make themselves feel better than others.
@Asylum (48357)
• Manchester, England
@Berniezeitler I have been fortunate enough not to encounter much of that here.
@Asylum Sadly I've seen more here than most other sites. Only Bubs was worse in that area. Bubs had far more problems than that though.
thing is, your blog is the place I would worry about focus and platform. you want to share some of that here, go for it, but don't take the comments and stuff here to heart
@Jessicalynnt The blog will be fine. I write there less frequently because it is not a major part of what I do at this point. I probably should get more happening there but again the website and other things are more the focus. I tend to lean toward wanting to stay in touch with many here and as such it may stay even if it is more on the sideline.
@Berniezeitler this is more like a social hub, for me anyways
• Pleasant Hill, California
I write here for the fun of it. On Bubblews, I always felt "dirty" when I wrote there. I could tell the site "wasn't right." It was like tending bar at a place you know is Mafia-run. Here, I don't feel that. I do miss Epinions, where my writings reached a larger audience, and actually helped people make informed decisions about guitars, stereo gear, etc. (it was a review site). Epinions also paid well. But for now, I'll just keep on keeping on.
@TheHorse I try to write here for the fun of it but then there are those who seem to be 'sour' in their attitude and it really gets to be a bit silly and counter productive to having fun. I also write here to be informative at times as I share it off site by using the 'tweet' and 'Facebook share' buttons.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@Berniezeitler I haven't run into that many "Mr. Grumpy Gills" types here. If I did, I'd probably ignore them. I don't really have the time for that sort of thing.
@TheHorse Some of the ones I've encountered are pretty stealthy in the way they present it. They hide behind 'indignation' sometimes too.
@1hopefulman (22533)
What is my purpose of being on MyLot? It is to meet some kindred spirits. I have met many such people here. Therefore I will stay. What about the others? I hope they will become such. I hope you will stay but it is always your choice.
@1hopefulman I will likely stay although I may become even less active in writing.
@1hopefulman (22533)
@Berniezeitler I'm glad that you will stay and at your own desire as to participation!
I like it here and have made a lot of friends. I just ignore the ones that have bad comments.
@jstory07 It is not always bad comments. Sometimes it is misquotes turned into posts.
@peavey (15808)
I haven't come across many bad posts or people, but I am not here all the time and don't explore that much. I use the site to connect with people I know and to talk about things I enjoy in a more relaxed way than other places.