Back to Chicago

I'm not really back in Chicago, but wanted to share one more wonderful restaurant and secret with you from our mini vacation at the end of May. Our last dinner was at Gibson's Steakhouse where this photo was taken. Of course we ordered steak, but a 22 ounce ribeye was the only option for ribeye. It was delicious, but I prefer Sparks, The Palm, Ruth's Chris, or The Capitol Grill for the selections and variety. It was a shame to leave more than half on my plate, and my piggy of a husband refused to share a steak, as usual. At least it left room for an after dinner drink at the tippity top of the John Hancock Center. Our hotel concierge told me that the best views were from the ladies room, and he was right! However, the views from our table were also great. We are still thinking about a tour of India in the fall. We are glad we went to Turkey between bombings, so safety is a big concern. Any other suggestions?
Nice there.You were lucky in Turkey.I for one will never go there. We are leaving for Northern Italy in the fall.
Turkey was awesome! The security at the airport was stringent, so I was very surprised to hear of the terrorists there. Of course, we won't return. We've been to Italy twice, but wouldn't mind returning.
@DianneN I wonder what is your favorite part of turkey or what sticks out in your mind. I can't consider a vacation because i don't trust another soul to care for Marty, my hamster, hence my username and the one because he is number one animal in my life The kid grinned at me this morning. I know his nuances and likes and hates! What does Doodles do when you go on vacation? Where were you planning to tour in India? any place in particular?
@Marty1 I know you love Marty so much. Our son sleeps here to take care of Doodles when we travel. We loved all of Turkey, especially Istanbul, Troy, and Cappadocia. For India, our tour includes all the major cities and Nepal.
@Marcyaz (35672)
Stay in the States and visit places here is my suggestion as there is so much to see in our country of interest.
We've been to almost everything of interest in the States, except for Alaska. We were going with friends, but it fizzled out.
@Marcyaz (35672)
@DianneN Oh that is too bad maybe some other time then.
@DianneN an Alaskan cruise is on my bucket list
This sure is an experience to remember what with all those exotic dishes and surely a great ambiance too
Steak isn't exotic to me, but the squid ink pasta I had the evening before was. Lovely city!
@sol_cee (15384)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
@DianneN squid ink pasta? Were you able to smile all throughout that dinner?
@sol_cee Yes and loved it!
India is so colorful, it sounds like a great place to visit. I love a good steak and had a ribeye last night. It was delicious because I cooked it myself to perfection.
I'm itching to travel there, and after years, finally talked my husband into it. Lol about your steak. I'm sure it was delicious!
@DianneN I'm off to Dayton soon and thought about a trip to Chicago but we are going to take trips to Tennessee and Pennsylvania and Indiana at different times so I may not get up there this trip.
@Jeanniemaries It's hard to do too many places at once. I could have spent more than 5 days in Chicago. Are you flying or driving?
@dianneN I think you look beautiful. Did you enjoy the steak the next day? What are those yellow looking things in that what look like a bowl in front of you? I am glad you had such a great view!
Thank you! We were at a hotel, so didn't take a doggie bag. What a waste. In front of me is a martini glass with blue cheese stuffed olives in the drink.
@DianneN Oh, i guess that;s right never thought of the hotel., But didn't you have a microwave in your hotel or refrigerator and eat it cold,.WHen i used to g on vacation they usually had those in the rooms. I didn't know you could stuff something as small as an olive and make it that big! That at least looks bigger than I would imagine a stuffed olive would be! Wait! I don't think i have ever seen a stuffed olive. I never had a martini as i don't drink and i think of the restaurant Arby's like fine dining
@Marty1 We had a mini fridge, but it was stuffed with hotel things to purchase. The olives do look huge in the photo! Lol! Do not have a martini! They are potent!
That sounds like such a huge steak, over a pound. I didn't know that you were considering going to India, weren't you going to take an Alaskan cruise?
We were planning on going with another couple, but he owns his own business and couldn't take off the amount of time needed for Vancouver, the cruise, and a trip to Denali. My friend was in charge of making the plans. We should have just gone ourselves. People! India was decided in Florida, but my hubby's worried about terrorism. We shall see. That steak was ridiculous, but guess who devoured his?
@DianneN My parents took an Alaskan holiday one year, they were gone for several months, as they drove to Alaska-my Dad's last big bucket list item was to drive the Alaskan Highway. They loved Denali and everything about Alaska, except the wait for parts. They drove their truck, because it is rough terrain up there, and it was hot in Alaska that year, and cool here. The a/c went on his truck when they got to Alaska, and the dealerships don't stock a/c parts, you have to order them in. He took a lot of criticism for having this go wrong from my mother as she wouldn't let him live it down. He particularly enjoyed the train ride thru the mountains, just a track on the side of a very steep mountain he described it.
@Juliaacv I'm sure they had fun on their drive before the a/c went. I've heard from friends that there is wildlife to be seen in Denali, and the mountain, of course. We had planned on staying in Vancouver for a week, since we only had one day there when we flew to Hong Kong. It was beautiful. It sounds as if your dad did everything on his bucket list. We have only done about 3/4, but the list keeps growing.
@UncleJoe (9929)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I lived in Fox Lake for a year back in the 60's but I would party hardy in Chicago on the weekends. It's not likely you and I would have frequented the same establishments. I remember a lot of places that would not allow blue jeans up there.
You are too funny. It must have really been a hopping place in the 60's!
@UncleJoe (9929)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@DianneN I used to drink all night for free because folks wanted to hear my Southern accent and I would crank up up for them.
@Lucky15 (33386)
Philippines after India ;)
I meant to ask you about that. What time of year is best to visit?
@Lucky15 (33386)
@DianneN april and may ma'am. Where rain has a lesser chance, where festivities are a lot and hope you love the heat of the summer :)
Gibson's really is nice. Just pick a safe place to travel. Not sure where that would be these days.
I'm truly thinking of Antarctica, but from what I've read, the best time to go is in May.
@DianneN Well, that would be quite an adventure!! Out of the ordinary for sure!
In teresting to hear about your Chicago experiences. You were lucky to miss the trouble in Turkey - I don't think anywhere is 100% safe now, but we shouldn't let those terrorists stop us from having vacations. We'll just be a bit more selective - definitely not Turkey, Tunisia or Egypt.
I guess Bagdad is off my list, too! I've been to Egypt between bombings, too. We had armed guards around us throughout the trip. Don't laugh, but I'm thinking Antarctica next year.
@DianneN Well I DID just laugh! You should be safe there! Anyway, it would be an interesting place to visit
India sounds like fun. I hope when you go it won't be too hot. You could always come to Wisconsin. We don't have bombings here.
It won't be too hot at the end of October or too cold - if we go. Perhaps we'll visit you at your new home in Wisconsin! My hubby may enjoy a Packers game.
@DianneN That would be so great! I hope you have a good trip to India. Sounds like the perfect time of year to go.
I have never visited India and it should be beautiful to visit, but for the moment we are too concerned by security. I have no suggestion, because I think that there are no safe places right now.
That is how my husband feels. However, I don't want terrorism to ruin our freedom. We shall see if we go and where we go.
@DianneN This is what we have always done. As it can happen anywhere, we go where we want to go. I believe in fate. If it's my moment it will happen even if I stay at home.
@sol_cee (15384)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
I thought you said Chicago's long gone. lol
Lol! You reminded me that I never finished with it. Ha ha!!!!!!
@sol_cee (15384)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
@Platespinner (16492)
I look forward to being able to travel internationally once the kiddos are all independent. Right now it's just too pricey. I would love to visit India, and Turkey would be fascinating as well...but you definitely have a point about safety!
We didn't travel abroad until our kids were out of college. Both traveled through Europe before we ever did. You'll make up for lost time. Yes, safety is really a concern. That is so awful.
You are so photogenic Dianne and it's a great picture of you Since I've never had much opportunity to travel I can't offer any suggestions but hope you enjoy your trip to India.
Aww, thank you. You are too kind. You should see all the photos I refuse to show! We are still very concerned about going to India.
@acelawrites (10931)
Hope you can find a great place for a vacation.
So do I!!!!
@LoriAMoore (4798)
Haha, best views from the ladies' room. How did he know?
@fishtiger58 (30338)
• Momence, Illinois
I have only been in canada and have no desire to leave the US, I hope you come up with a safe destination.
It's a great big beautiful world out there and a shame what those nasty terrorists are doing. We're still talking about where to go and when. Thanks.
@fishtiger58 (30338)
• Momence, Illinois
@DianneN That's what would scare me going where the terrorists are planning something. I will stay in my tiny little town where they probably wont' go.
@fishtiger58 I'm not going to let them rule my life, even though I worry so much about my son, his family, and my husband's family living in Manhattan.
@zarlamain (24525)
Wow, it seems like you had so much fun! I suggest a vacation to Switzerland. That is one country I would love to visit someday. Good idea. Best to stay away from Turkey because of the safety concerns and the fact that it has become a targeted country for terrorists.
We always have fun wherever we go. We loved Switzerland and would love to return. Such a beautiful country.
@zarlamain (24525)
@DianneN That's a good mindset! I need to go someday!
@zarlamain (24525)
@DianneN Wow, really? I'm sure you miss your dog.
@EddieHands (37845)
I suggest the hot dogs, and the deep dish pizza! I have never been there. But i heard they have great food. Especially pizza.
The deep dish pizza was awesome. I don't ear hotdogs, but my boys loved them when they visited. We really enjoyed Ditka's and Gibson's for steak, although I've had better.