Happiness is...

@MsTickle (24962)
Australia
Yesterday, after a few back and forth phone calls, a time was set of for my solar panels to be installed. Don't you laugh when you don't hear the phone and then when you call back you have to leave a message then they ring back but you've had to go to the bathroom and so on. LOL. Any way, when we finally caught up, this chappy said he was an hour away and could he come now instead of the next morning when he was due.. My delight was complete when these two young fellows turned up,. Both good looking, nicely spoken, polite and friendly and the one called Jessie had a lovely big smile. Now I have 6 new solar panels in addition to the 6 I had installed a few tears back and these 2 young blokes made my day.
We have checked the cost of the installation and how much they would lower the electricity bill. It would take 30 years to cover the cost. We are not young enough to hope to leave 30 years more.
@MsTickle (24962)
I imagine the costs will come down but you also need to factor in the amount of sunlight hours. There's just no point if it's so costly.
@MsTickle So true, it is too expensive and during summer we risk strong hail storms some years, so even to insure the panels is expensive.
@MsTickle (24962)
@LadyDuck the equipment is all guaranteed here but it may be different in your country.
@louievill (18432)
Oh you have a lot of panels, i also have solar lighting but i only have a few panels and watts, i made it myself watching diy videos on YouTube, it's very nice that you are on alternative energy, helps our environment a lot
did it lower your electricity bill?
@MsTickle (24962)
Good for you! I think we all need to do whatever we can and I feel I should be doing more. We could all save more water and look at how we can make use of products we just throw away with no thought.
@hereandthere (29936)
like the cherry on top. makes the day sweeter. haha! which part of the house do you install solar panels, where it gets the most sun? did it lower your electricity bill significantly?
@MsTickle (24962)
The panels are on the roof and the originals are facing north and the new ones are facing north east, just a bit east. It's not saving me huge amounts and I'm looking into a few issues I may have
That's really good news. For various reasons we are having trouble getting solar panels installed. I think basically the problem is that our metre box is way down the paddock instead of close to the house where the panels would be.
@MsTickle (24962)
It shouldn't be a problem - can't they put an extra, new metre in at the house in addition to the one down the paddock? Bit of a bummer there if you overload at night and need to go reset the switch.
@MsTickle Ti does seem to be a problem. A new metre would cost a heap for starters. We have never needed to reset the switch - which is pretty lucky I guess. We can trip a circuit but can fix it at the box on the exterior wall of the house. There are trip meters there but it's not like a proper metre box.
@MsTickle (24962)
@JudyEv i received a new metre and all the switches when the first lot of solar went in. It was all part of the cost. I'm hopeless at figuring out anything electrical.
We have too much shade here, but how nice for you to be self sufficient with solar energy!
@MsTickle (24962)
That's a shame. I do have a baby gum tree out front and it's only growing slowly so it won't be a problem for a while, if at all.
we hope to have solar energy some day, once we have our own place more remote. I want to be able to be off the grid, in a quiet hidden sort of way
@MsTickle (24962)
Sounds marvelous. I live in a very small remote community. I think I would get too scared if i was away by myself.
@MsTickle dogs and lots of animals
@MsTickle (24962)
@Jessicalynnt I have 2 dogs a cat and 2 goats, lol.
@skysnap (17820)
I wonder how solar panels perform during rainy or snowy season.
@MsTickle (24962)
They don't perform at all. They are solar powered, solar as in sun. We are lucky here, it doesn't snow and we often get lovely sunny winter days even though it's cold.
@skysnap (17820)
@MsTickle that's cool some power to harness in that case.
Some need just a few solar panels to make their day and some even if the whole world is placed before them they will not be happy. . I like your kind
@MsTickle (24962)
Aww, thank you, that's a kind and lovely thing to say.
@JESSY3236 (6289)
That's cool. I'm always grateful to have something done earlier than expected.
@MsTickle (24962)
It wasn't a hassle but it took longer than expected and it was dark when they were finishing so i was a bit worried they were on my roof. Tthey had to travel over 150klms to their next job for the next day.
@cpefley (1536)
• Hemet, California
That sounds nice. I'm glad they were nice to look at too lol.
@Lucky15 (33414)
Are you saving some.bills? Like a lot?
@MsTickle (24962)
Only a little at the moment. I'm looking into things though. Also, while the new panels were working today, I will need to see my next bill to do a comparison.
@Shiva49 (12666)
Great. I think solar energy is the in thing and will be a savior for remote villages in poor countries as they can become grid free and even feed excess power back to the grid with net metering - siva
@kepweng (13582)
nice that a neighboor helps is he have a salary?