Today's Critter Sighting

@Raelove (17315)
Saco, Maine
While sitting outside talking with a neighbor today, we both noticed something fly down and land on the walk in front of us. The only thing we agreed on was that it was some type of dragonfly, but neither of us had a clue as to what species. The dragonfly kept leaving and coming back and landing in the same spot, so I had no trouble at all taking photos of it. Turns out it was what is known as the Common Whitetail Skimmer, a dragonfly that is usually found in large numbers near ponds and other small bodies of water. According to the article I read about them, they eat millions of insects such as mosquitoes, which makes them pretty darn useful in my book. Photo Copyright@2016 Rachel Lovejoy
It seems strange that it would keep leaving and coming back. Maybe he wanted the attention!
@Raelove (17315)
• Saco, Maine
I know! He, or she, would take off, fly around in a circle, and then land again in the same spot or close to it. I was, of course, enthralled!
@Raelove How nice is that? Did it eventually leave altogether or did you go off before it did? My sister-in-law once had a tiny little grub-type thing sitting on her sheet of music while she was playing and she said it was pulsing up and down in time to the music. There is a lot we don't know yet, isn't there?
@Raelove (17315)
• Saco, Maine
@JudyEv Yes, there is. And much that we will never know. This little critter came and went a few times before flying off altogether to parts unknown. While it was sitting there on the ground in the sun, its body was pulsing, too. It was so fascinating to see one that close-up.
This one must have gotten away from its fellow Common's and not near water it wasn't do too good. They are rather delicate.
@Raelove (17315)
• Saco, Maine
This one wasn't that delicate. But it sure was fascinating to watch it.
@Raelove ....I think they are cool. I have a picture of them in stained glass I have on my FB profile.
@Raelove (17315)
• Saco, Maine
@celticeagle They are very interesting insects.
I love dragonflies. Not as much as butterflies though
@Raelove (17315)
• Saco, Maine
Some dragonflies are actually quite beautiful.
@Raelove Whenever we go fishing at one of our favorite ponds, I spend more time watching them fly about. I remember as a child my mother called them sewer needles. It kind of scared me just a little to think of a needle with wings.
@Raelove (17315)
• Saco, Maine
@ElusiveButterfly Yes. When we were kids, we were told they'd sew our mouths or eyes shut. You can imagine how long I was terrified after that till I realized how hokey that was. LOL
That is a very interesting dragonfly and useful too.
@Raelove (17315)
• Saco, Maine
Anything critter that kills mosquitoes is useful in my book!
@Raelove Mine too
@Raelove (17315)
• Saco, Maine
Supersize that critter and you have a science fiction from the 50s!
@Raelove (17315)
• Saco, Maine
At first, it looked like one of the Wright Brothers' airplanes!
@akalinus (19953)
Eating bugs is good. Are there more around or only that one. Maybe it is lost.
@Raelove (17315)
• Saco, Maine
I think it was lost. There's a small pond at the other end of this property, so I hope it found its way back there.
@JustBhem (41164)
• Davao, Philippines
I knw nothing about dragol fly. Back when I was a kid I used to tie them to their tail and let it fly.