Lecturing a Pup Proves to Be Futile

At times, walking Molly in our neighborhood gets really boring. We take different routes in the neighborhood, but there are only so many routes to take. It is mind-numbing to see the same old things over and over again. To avoid the home-neighborhood boredom, I will put Molly in the car and take her to one of the parks in our area or to a different neighborhood for a change of pace. Molly has started dictating to me regarding the place I have chosen to take our walk. This is a brand new behavior being exhibited by Molly. If she is not pleased with a particular park, as soon as she hops out of the car, she plants her four paws on the ground and refuses to move. If a particular neighborhood is not to her liking, she will refuse to proceed with the walk by once again refusing to move. Many times, we will walk a few steps in a new area, and she will head right back to the car. A few times, if she does not approve of the new area I have chosen, I will drive to another area to see if that is to her liking. More often than not, no area pleases her. After Molly pulls this stuff, I lecture her on the ride home: "Well, Molly, if you think I am going to drive all over the place to find a spot that is to your liking, you have another think coming." "I'll tell you what is going to happen. If you pull this type of thing again, you will go right back into the car and home we will go. You will have missed your walk for the day." "And, when your dad gets home, I am going to tell him how badly you behaved today." "You really are getting on my last nerve, Molly." Lecturing a dog really is futile. After the lecture, Molly just jumps out of the car when we return home and gives me a big doggie smile.
She really does rule the roost, doesn't she?
She is a princess and demands much!
• Dallas, Texas
@Corbin5 I'mma be honest, before reading this, I thought you were being humorous when you said:"we treat her like a princess." But now I get that she is a princess! I had this scenario in my head of her saying in a posh accent:"Nope, I don't like the look of this park. Mother, escort me elsewhere." Try this:"If she doesn't move from a spot upon arriving at a park, carry her a good distance from the car and see if she'll make her way back. Odds are the trek might cause her to get familiar with the environment and grow to like it. Though I suggest that, because I tend to carry my dog a great distance and have him guide us back home. But being a chihuahua, he's a lot smaller than Molly. :p
@Hanyouyomi Yes, Molly is 51 pounds and would be a struggle for me to carry her.
yes,it is a job there.It is a good thing that he does not talk back.But the smile did the trick
She tunes me out, so she is happy as can be all the way home.
Yes, they do make us feel silly when we try to lecture them but have you noticed how their tails wag happily when we praise them?
Yes, Molly tale wags like crazy when praised, but she sure is a stubborn one.
All of them are @Corbin5 all it takes is for them to get to know us and boom it's over, they rule
@rebelann I wish I had adopted pets that were not very smart!!
Maybe her legs ache and she doesn't want to go for a walk.
Well, when we get home, she runs to the backyard and starts playing with her toys, so I suppose she is OK.
@Corbin5 She knows how to get her needs met that's for sure.
@JudyEv This is a new thing with Molly. She is like the middle school girls, 8th grade, I taught. Picky, picky, picky!
It is very futile. Sometimes when they don't want to move, they remind me of a stubborn mule.
Yes, I find it quite embarrassing when my dog puts up a fuss in front of others. Molly doesn't care about my reputation as a dog mom.
@Corbin5 Our Terrier mix listens, and then it goes out the other ear!!
Molly's mind is fixed and you can't change it, no matter how much you lecture or threaten. Now what did your husband say about her behavior, or did he just take her to the dog park?
Well, he has seen the behavior too, and all he says is, "It is our fault. We have spoiled her rotten."
@Corbin5 I see he has a lot of sympathy for your situation. Yep, Molly rules the roost.
@gudheart (12746)
LOL aww dogs are so clever and cute :D
She is a stinker. This is a new trick of hers not to approve of anything I suggest. Love her even though she does not listen.
@bunnybon7 (36883)
• Holiday, Florida
she is so adorable and I know about the lectures. coco also don't care what I say.
Molly just tunes me out, like kids do, and just does what she wants.
Oh, that Molly! Lol!
She is such a spoiled pup! She reminds me of the girls in my 8th class. Picky! Picky! Picky!
@Macarrosel (7551)
Very bad cute dog. Hahaha. I am laughing while reading your post. I can relate with you about lecturing our dogs and end up as if nothing happens.
Well, she never listens to me anyway, so I suppose the lecture is to make myself feel better.
@crossbones27 (20258)
• Redlands, California
That is an interesting point. I used to watch that Ceaser Mlilan guy and he used to always say that people should mix up the routes people take their dogs on walks for. I find that not to be the case. My dogs like about two spots. They do love any walks they can go on, but they just love their two spots better. It is quite noticeable with how they behave. You do have one stubborn dog there. lol
Even on our well-traveled neighborhood route, Molly will do the stubborn thing. A spoiled girl pup for sure.
Molly knows what she wants and does not want. Dogs are really funny that way.
She is just so darn picky!
• Preston, England
dogs tend to like familiar well marked territory so what seems boring to you is often comfortingly familiar to her but new walks are good too for you especially
She does pull the stubborn stuff on her familiar neighborhood walks, but not as much.
@Vjvals (928)
• Roseville, California
She's smart and kind She knows what you are saying and does that so she can give you a great story to write
Yes, Molly does provide me with a ton of subject matter.
If that is her in the picture, she's adorable! I wouldn't be able to get mad at that cute face. She must know she's cute like my dog does.
Yes, that's Molly. She is a mutt. She is giving us the mad face because the groomer put red bows in her hair.
I am glad we have a yard for Ruby and don't have to walk her. It's better on all of us.
We have a 6-ft fence surrounding the backyard and a 24/7 access doggie door to that fenced yard, but she still demands walks.
@Corbin5 Ruby is only on a leash when she goes to the vet. She doesn't mind it but prefers no leash.
@garymarsh6 (14263)
Haha look at that look. She is thinking oh boy here she goes again. Nag nag nag!
Yes, she is thinking, "I wish that woman would stop talking and just drive the car!"
@Lucky15 (33754)
Surely a heart melting smile from molly ;)
She is cute for a mutt, but oh so stubborn.
@sueznewz2 (10067)
• Alicante, Spain
They certainly know what they want.... and when they put their brakes on... it's very difficult to move them...lol's
She is almost 50 pounds, and if I were a younger woman, I would pick her up and move her in the direction I want to go.
@xstitcher (11757)
• Petaluma, California
Like @LovingmyBabies said, if that is her in the picture, she is really cute !
That is our Molly in the photo with that my-parents-are-nuts look.