The Cardinal (No, Not the Guy in Rome)

@Raelove (16820)
Saco, Maine
I told @JudyEv that I would try to get another photo of the northern cardinal that's been showing up here, and last night, I was able to. Here he is, in all his red glory. I say "he," because the female is not nearly as striking with her olive-brown feathers and only light red coloring. They both, however, produce the same rich song that has clear bell-like notes and drowns out that of lots of other birds. It's part of the mating ritual, as the male uses his song to announce to the others that this is HIS territory and not theirs. I toss birdseed on the ground out there once in awhile, so there is always something for them to peck at. Interestingly enough, I've almost always seen cardinals later in the day before dusk or on rainy days. And I always hear one before I see it, as it announces its presence outside my window in its typically grand way. Photo Copyright@2016 Rachel Lovejoy
Those little birds are beautiful, so nice and colorful. Definitely a lot better than the guys in Rome.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
Oh yeah. Though I've often wondered who took the name first: the guys or the birds. The bird's scientific name is Cardinalis Cardinalis. Did the cardinals in Rome borrow the name because they wore red outfits, or did the birds get the name because they copied the cardinals? I like to think the birds got it first!
@Raelove Nothing to do with the birds, the term Cardinal (Cardinale in Italian) comes from the Latin word "cardo" meaning hinge, or pivot. I suppose due to their role to help the Pope.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@LadyDuck It also means "primary," as in a "cardinal number." So again, that reflects on the "primary role" the cardinals play in the Pope's political life.
Since we took the feeder down we don't see the cardinals very often, but it can be anytime dawn to dusk. Since God made the birds I would assume they were here first!
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
Hey, I like that idea a lot. They WERE here first. I just wonder when they were named and who named them. I want them to have gotten the name first, darn it.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@AbbyGreenhill I did. All I came up with was that the bird was named after the Roman cardinals. Still looking!
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@Raelove According to this, the bird was named after the card1125, "one of the ecclesiastical princes who constitute the sacred college," from L. cardinalis "principal, chief, essential," from cardo (gen. cardinis) "that on which something turns or depends," originally "door hinge." Ecclesiastical use began for the presbyters of the chief (cardinal) churches of Rome. The adj. sense of "chief, principal" in Eng. is attested from c.1440. Cardinal numbers (1591) are the primitive "one, two, three," etc. as opposed to ordinal numbers "first, second, third," etc. Cardinal points (1549) are "north, south, east, west." The cardinal virtues (c.1300) were divided into natural (justice prudence, temperance, fortitude) and theological (faith, hope, charity). The N.Amer. songbird (Cardinalis virginianus) is attested from 1678, so named for its resemblance to the red robes of the cardinals.inals.
What a great picture. We have a pair of Cardinals that sometimes come to the bird feeders. The female is barely red as far as I can tell compared to the male one. The male on is hard to miss when he's out there.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks. You're right. The female is not colorful at all, but you can't miss the male.
@Raelove The male one I can spot in an instant. The female one sometimes I miss her as she can kind of blend in with the grass. I can see her better if she's up on a tree branch.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
@Susan2015 Yup. They both sing the same, though, which is great.
He certainly is strikingly beautiful
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
That he is.
I love catches a glimpse of the cardinals that visit us here. Wish they would visit more often!
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
We've got lots around here. I remember them from the last time I lived in this town.
You have scored a really lovely photo here! I'm really impressed - and doesn't he blend well with the surroundings?
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
Yes. Like a friend on Facebook pointed out, he's almost camouflaged!
@skysnap (17674)
wow that looks like cool.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks...
Terrific shot that really shows that bright Cardinal red.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks! The light was just right.
@responsiveme (14225)
That was a great visitor for you. And I too think the birds got it first, the name I mean.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
I hope so!
@sofssu (14512)
It is a beautiful bird! I love bird watching and taking pictures of them.
@Raelove (16820)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks. So do I.