Piccadilly!

@garymarsh6 (14767)
United Kingdom
On Saturday I went up to London to meet some friends for dinner. I found a delighful French restaurant which was really quite beautiful. It was kitted out in Art deco form and includes several bars and revue theatre plus a very large brasserie style restaurant. The only time we could book for dinner was at 17:45 which for us is incredibly early to eat dinner so with that in mind we had no lunch and caught the train up to Victoria station. We got on a bus outside the station to take us to Piccadilly but the traffic was horrendous on Saturday. We actually got to the restaurant dead on time. Our friends who are usually late were actually sitting at the table when we arrived which was a big surprise I must say. We ordered drinks straight away and caught up with the latest goings on. The menu we were given was in French. My friend kept asking me what the different dishes were. Her husband was reading them out and telling her the same as I was...... It was hilarious she told him I didn't know you could speak and read French. He said no I can't his menu was written entirely in English. I thought I would take a photo of Piccadilly circus and the famous neon signs. Piccadilly is aways buzzing with people wanting to take photos of the famous signs and the little fountain with Eros on it right in the middle of the square. OH drats I can not get the picture to turn around the right way. Sorry!
We loved seeing Piccadilly both times we were in London. Actually, the first hotel we stayed in was within walking distance. Funny story about the menus!
@garymarsh6 (14767)
It was quite comical. The food incidentally was delicious although not up to the same standard of one place I went to. I will never ever forget that place and I can't wait to go back there but it is a bit $$$$$$ actually very $$$$$$$ whereas this place was very reasonable.
@garymarsh6 You get what you pay for is our motto.
@garymarsh6 (14767)
@DianneN OH yes exactly!
I've seen lots of people have the same problem with their photos. Could it be because you took it on your phone? Glad you had a good dinner - funny about the menu
Sometimes people forget. IPhones should be held landscape for the best photographs.
@garymarsh6 (14767)
@ElizabethWallace I shall remember that Elizabeth thanks!
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
So that is what the lights look like when you fall over drunk?
@garymarsh6 (14767)
Funny you should say that as I thought the same too! Hope your flight is a good one! Welcome back once you land!
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
@garymarsh6 I bet you took the photograph from that angle.
No problem. I just titled my head. Sounds like a fun time was had by all at the French restaurant!
@garymarsh6 (14767)
Yes it was really quite a gem. I never knew it was there and my friends were delighted with it too.
@Inlemay (17162)
• South Africa
its ok - we can strain our necks to see Piccadilly - is a dilly of a pickle it seems - So do you think if the menu was in French the English would be able to understand and read it? I know you can, but the others?
@garymarsh6 (14767)
It was just me that could read French. I doubt many English people could to be honest although I think it is taught in most schools. Most English people are very lazy when it comes to learning a foreign language. I taught my daughter from an early age despite her protests. In the end I used to speak French and she would answer in English, I think she is grateful now though!
@Inlemay (17162)
• South Africa
@garymarsh6 I think its very important to know at least two or three languages - not fluent, but at least to be able to respond. My Latin knowledge helps me in most countries, but I have a little Spanish and French knowledge plus two African languages as well - that is vital in SA
@garymarsh6 (14767)
@Inlemay Oh you are far more talented than I am ! Clever lady!
Okay, so now I am curious. What time do you usually eat dinner? Mine is mostly at 6:00 (18:00). I have my largest meal at about 1:00 (13:00). Dinner is usually some sort of breakfast cereal, oatmeal, muesli or raisin bran.
@garymarsh6 (14767)
@ElizabethWallace In my little world Breakfast is at 06:00, a small lunch at 13:00 and dinner around 20:00 although we might have a drink and a slice of cake or biscuit around four pm.
@garymarsh6 How can you go seven hours without food? A slice of cake or biscuit would not be enough for me to last that long.
@WorDazza (10089)
• Manchester, England
It might have been quicker to walk from Victoria to Station to Piccadilly Circus on a Saturday. Surely the tube would have been much quicker than the bus! I love that whole area around Piccadilly and Soho. If I could afford to I would live there. A little house down one of the back streets of Soho. Maybe one day when I've written my best-seller and sold the movie rights!!
@garymarsh6 (14767)
You never know! Stranger things have happened.
@WorDazza (10089)
• Manchester, England
@garymarsh6 That remark would suggest you lack confidence in me
I've heard a lot about Piccadilly but never really saw what it looked like. It's okay, I can turn my head. It seems it's happening a lot with photos today. I wonder why some menus were in French and some in English. I'm glad you got there in time. Would you have been able to be seated had you been late or would that have still been possible because you were meeting friends who were there already?
@garymarsh6 (14767)
When I booked we had to give our phone numbers so I am sure they would have kept the table for 10 minutes but if not we would have lost it. Luckily our friends were there which was surprising. It is a shame the photo is on its side it would look much nicer the right way up!
@garymarsh6 I'm glad you got there in time so the reservation wasn't lost to you and your friends were there, which helped. They probably didn't have the traffic you did. Maybe it's another photo glitch.
I had just one photo in a slideshow which decided to go sideways. So annoying! And how funny that one menu was in English! Glad you had a nice night.
@garymarsh6 (14767)
It is really annoying isn't it!
@Teep11 (7301)
The wife thought the husband was reading French but he wasn't. It was the English. Sounds like a enjoyable time took place. We should all be enjoying our lives. Be blessed.
@garymarsh6 (14767)
It was quite a hoot as he was so serious too! Bless you too!
it is call rotate the picture I love Art Deco period.This is mine. Sound like you had a good dinner with friends
@garymarsh6 (14767)
I tried to rotate it but it still won't go up normal.
@Lucky15 (33669)
Sounds like a great place ;) I can move the phone to see the.photo ;)
@garymarsh6 (14767)
Thank you. It is right in central London and is quite a cheerful if somewhat busy place.
@OreoBrownie (3653)
• Commerce, Georgia
I eat about 5 or 6 when home. I'm always home now. Glad you got our. I wish I was born in England sometimes. There is so much culture.
The picture pay not be the right way but it looks good.
haha @ the hubbys menu being in English! Brilliant! x
It sounds like a fun evening.
@GreatMartin (6624)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Wish you had given the name of the restaurant--long story short--my friend Allen is going to London next month the guest of his French friend and it would be great if he could surprise Philippe with taking him to that restaurant!!
@garymarsh6 (14767)
The restaurant was called Zedel.
Zedel at 20 Sherwood Street W1 houses a brasserie, a classic cocktail bar and a jazz, cabaret, burlesque venue, as well as a coffee bar, all under one roof