Eating in Ballina.

@xFiacre (10364)
Ireland
I ate in a lovely place last week in Ballina, lovely and odd . It's an inexpensive place that serves good, hearty food and is totally devoid of any traces of sophistication. The decor is awful but it works. The mustard coloured walls are festooned with photographs and pictures of a random nature - donkeys, school football teams, a church in New York, a solitary swan. There are cutesy sayings on posters and paintings of Irish writers. Nothing fits, nothing rhymes and yet nothing offends. The staff are lovely and trade is forever brisk so it's not likely to go out of business any time soon. It shouldn't work but it does, and it's one in the eye for the various trendy, over-priced alternatives on offer. To open another wouldn't make any business sense.
I've never been to Ballina but the name has got a very pleasant ring to it. I am pretty sure you enjoyed your meal there in that quaint little place you mentioned. Do you have any pictures of it? I too love to explore such quaint niches whenever I can. The trendy places, I find, at times become too flashy and lavish for a person of sober taste.
@xFiacre (10364)
@the_bong_women Sorry, no pictures. Maybe next time I go!
@xFiacre No problem
Sometimes quirky just tastes better.
I'm pretty sure we've been to Ballina but I'd need to check my photos to be sure.
@xFiacre (10364)
@judyev lovely old fashioned town
@Teep11 (6432)
Doesn't sound At but I suppose it's a well liked place for regulars. Not many good points there. Have a great day.