Single-sex schools are good for education

This topic has been on my mind for a while and I was wondering how others felt about this . I believe that there are some pros and cons about this topic Pros: I feel that it would cut down on some of the drama that goes on between the two genders as far as the youth having relationships. From my years being in high school there is a series of conflicts that go on between the young women over guys and vice versa. The males become a distraction from their education and the females become a distraction for the guys . There would be less of a need to try to impress. Cons: I think would promote stress with having genders separated I believe that it would cause both genders to forget how to communicate with each other "Everyone's opinion has value here"
• Denmark
I attended a mixed secondary grammar school and taught in mixed secondary grammar schools in Germany for 40 years and am convinced that this is the best way. The schools should be mixed but some subjects could be taught in separate classes. Girls tend to be quiet in science classes when boys are present. They'd be more active if they were among themselves. As boys and girls don't develop in the same way especially during puberty (girls mature earlier than boys), it's more interesting to have them together. If you're lucky, you'll always find someone who feels like participating. A whole class of only pubescent girls or pubescent boys is a horror vision. :-)
I totally agree with you on that . I know it would especially be beneficial for competitive groups of students (boys and girls) because they would always want to be better then the next person which equals more eager learners
• Denmark
@ANewGeneration Please tell me where you live. I'm curious. I've checked the United States Minor Outlying Islands on Wikipedia and have learned that they aren't inhabited. ??
@MALUSE oh i apologize. I live in the United States, currently in Georgia I must have made a mistake yesterday creating my account ... I am going to change it right now
@VivaLaDani13 (15934)
• Perth, Australia
@ANewGeneration I have thought about this before. Like it may very well be good if males and females were separated. Since I know for a fact, boys can be a bit of a distraction lol and vice versa. Plus the girl world in school can be a cruel thing to live with. Boys can cause a lot more than just a crush. Girls fight over boys and can be really horrible to each other because of a boy. But it's also nice to mix in with other genders too. A lot of friends can be made when mixed with all types of people let alone both genders.
@Daljinder (19275)
@VivaLaDani13 How very differently we have grown up. Boys and girls were never on each other's radar during schooling. Oh, there were a few, literally a handful who would "feel things" for opposite gender but they tend to keep it quiet among the peers and adults. And they weren't thought of as good company either. We are brainwashed from childhood that should you want a person of the opposite gender, were either your husband or wife. Case closed!
@Daljinder (19275)
I have studied in a co-ed and I think that is the best way. Separating based on gender may lessen the distraction thing but it may also create more problems in the long run when boys and girl couldn't interact properly with each other as they haven;t been around the other gender.
@zarlamain (23642)
I think they are wonderful for education. I wanted to go to a all female private k-12 school myself. However, I was stuck in coed schooling and I didn't like it at all. If I ever have a child, he or she will be sent to a private school with the same gender. No co-ed until university.
Awesome ! I attended a private school when i was younger , They are great schools
@zarlamain (23642)
@ANewGeneration Wow, that's great! Good education!
I attended an all-girls school up until high school, then mixed university in college. My high school had a good environment so it wasn't really an issue for me, although there were some drama going on (queen bees and stuff like that). As for communicating with boys, I didn't have a hard time, I guess because I had brothers. And our school also did soirees with some all-boys schools. Personally, I don't have any preference between an exclusive schools for girls/boys and mixed gender schools. My kid's attending a mixed gender school and I can see that she's okay with it. I'll wait until she's in 5th grade and will get back to you.
Thanks for sharing ! That is alright with me
@rina110383 (21988)
From kinder to high school, I attended an all-girls, Catholic school. I had no regrets and I like the education and environment they provided. Also, I enjoyed having friends with girls.
@Deepizzaguy (6472)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
I did attend an male high school in Louisiana. It was good for me since I did not have the distractions of seeing female students. It is good for the students to stay focused on their studies.