A Felon in the Lounge

Bunbury, Australia
I've just been discussing the moon landing with Gus Kilthau (@Ceerios). We were in a small, isolated country town at the time of the landing. The sergeant of police had one of the few TVs in the town along with a giant aerial which gave him reception. The landing was scheduled for around midnight as I remember but it was then delayed. There was a gaol in the town with two cells which were rarely occupied. However at the time one man was serving time for non-payment of maintenance to his wife. This was a periodic occurrence for him. He was in the house with a small group and we all had a potluck meal and sat down to watch the landing. When it became apparent that the landing wouldn't be till the early hours, we all went home. The man 'in custody' was left in the lounge room on watch, with strict instructions to call the sergeant and his wife when the landing was imminent. Oh for a return to such civilised times! The photo is of a young Vin (on the left) and celebrated violinist, Geoffrey Michaels, (towards the right wearing glasses) viewing a piece of Skylab in the Esperance museum.
How funny, but he wasn't exactly a criminal, was he?.
Poetic licence!! :)
@JudyEv Fair enough
@jaboUK Actually - I thought it made a good title. Didn't stop to think about the 'niceties' of the word. :)
@xFiacre (5248)
@judyev I remember peeriing intently into the sky that night hoping to see something!
I gather you didn't see anything of note? Or of astronaut?
@xFiacre (5248)
@JudyEv No, the cclouds must have got in my line of vision! I do remember being awe struck though thinking that someone was up there- or so I was told!
@xFiacre It was a pretty big deal wasn't it?
That sounds like our shows about Andy of Mayberry and Mayberry RFD.
I don't know this show. Does RFD have any significance?
That was a different time indeed when the prisoner was keeping watch on developments for everyone. I remember I was in the mountains camping with family when that happened. We listened on the radio!
I think it was one of those times when most people would remember where they were at the time.
@koopharper (6837)
That's a great memory.
I could write a book about that small town and its characters. :)
@JudyEv You should maybe consider it.
@JudyEv The names must be changed to protect the guilty.
Wow I have no recollection of what I was doing at that time, I guess it didn't rate high with me. lol
Gosh, I thought everyone would remember! :)
@JudyEv Nope not with me. I was up to my eyeballs in babies
@BelleStarr Yes, I can understand that that would make a difference!
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
If only times were as civilized now as they were back then. I remember my grandmother, who lived out in the country, wouldn't ever lock her door...even at night. She never had any problems or break ins.
At that time, in that house, we didn't have a key for the house. It was years before we started locking our doors when we went out.
@simone10 We lock up when we go away but our place isn't that easy to get to for starters and we always know when someone comes.
@Inlemay (17041)
• South Africa
I havent heard the word gaol for a prison/jail in years. Putting the man in custody in charge in a way - quite funny
There was another man they used to lock up for a similar sort of thing but he was more or less free to come and go but had to spend the nights in jail. He used to lock himself in his cell at night and throw the key out of reach in case he was tempted to let himself out and go home to his wife. I should really write a book about that place. :)
@Inlemay (17041)
• South Africa
@JudyEv probably what we would call House Arrest in modern time, its just such a brilliant story
@JudyEv Evidently a more relaxed time and place.
@sofssu (14447)
I remember a little of the flutter skylab caused around these parts. I don't think I was around when the manned moon landing happened.
Oh, to be so young!
@Shiva49 (14005)
I remember the day. I was in India listening on the radio. That was indeed a civilized relationship! We have regressed in terms of human relationship even as we have advanced in other ways - siva
That is very true.
@Vjvals (924)
• Roseville, California
Interesting story. The meal and the man in custody, yeah sounds like a whole different world
There were some really funny things that happened in that town.
It would be nice to return to those civilized times. I had heard Skylab came down in Australia. Did you see the moon landing? Or did you miss it because it got delayed. I was unaware it was delayed. I remember that day very well.
@JudyEv I remember when it came down and I thought they knew it was coming down somewhere in Australia, but until it landed they didn't know exactly where it would land.
@just4him The story that went around here was a supposed radio report with an American official saying 'Well, I don't know what it is those people heard but it certainly wasn't Skylab'. Turned out he was wrong. It created a lot of excitement around the place.
@JudyEv I can imagine all the excitement it created.
• Walnut Creek, California
Ah, for such civilized times indeed! Cool picture.
There have been such changes in society since those days.
mercy, i reckon he figured a bit'f jail time 'twas worth't all? i wish fer such civilized times's well, though such seems to be a distant memory with all the horrific events goin' 'round the globe :(
Yes, 'civilised' seems to have little application in some areas at the moment. I guess with our friend spending time in jail, he got to keep his money. It wouldn't have helped his wife much though.
@norcal (3213)
• Nevada City, California
We were having a family barbecue, and watched the moon landing on TV. I remember an uncle saying this this was something we would tell our grandchildren about. It's funny we thought the moon landing was the beginning of something, but NASA didn't seem to think it was important to keep going back to the moon.
No, once they'd landed there that was about it, wasn't it?
@DeborahDiane (23835)
• Laguna Woods, California
I remember when people used to get together to watch events on TV. I remember in college even watching President Nixon's speeches with my friends. I recently had a group of women over on the night of the California primary election to watch it on television with me. That was the first time in years I had done anything like that!
The first night we had TV in our small town we invited friends round to watch the wedding of Prince Charles and Princess Diana.
LOL the guy in jail watched and waited and alerted people?