No Longer In The Banking Industry-I'm Free

Being a Bank Teller is/was not easy. It was a lot easier back in the 80’s. Now, the selling of bank products is a priority. There is a quota. Now the credit union that I just quit also had a monthly quota. It was not as bad as a regular bank but you still had to sell and sell. Many places will write you up or fire you if you don’t meet goals. I find this unrealistic, as you can’t make a customer say yes. Bank Tellers, now mostly called Customer Service Reps, don’t just stand there and wait for clients to come in. There are many other things that need to be done. Depending on which bank it was: process the mail, night drop, ATM envelopes, get money ready for ATM, and other things like this. There were times I even opened accounts for one years ago. But these jobs can be hard to do if you’re short handed, which often is the case. It can get frustrating trying to get it all done. There is a lot of turnover in the banking industry.
I always heard it was not that great a job. I had no desire to be one.
@GardenGerty My friends always wondered why I went back into it. None of them have and say they never will.
@Inlemay (16654)
• South Africa
Do you at least still have a job?
@Inlemay Yes I start a new job as a Receptionist on Monday.
@Inlemay (16654)
• South Africa
@Susan2015 Well then let me wish you a very Good Luck with your new position on Monday
@Susan2015 I am sure you be a fine Receptionist . The best the company ever had!
I can understand how frustrating it must be these days to be a bank employee.
@marlina Imagine a line up for the whole 5 hours of a shift. Barely a chance to use the bathroom.
@bunnybon7 (36881)
• Holiday, Florida
@Susan2015 probably worse then being manager of a fast food. daughter seldom has time to use the bathroom and that leads to bladder infections
@sugartoes (41235)
• Greencastle, Indiana
I couldn't work at a bank I'd be too involved in trying to see how much money I could get through the door ha ha ha
@sugartoes HaHa I've worked with some who tried to fleece the bank. Don't know what they were thinking. There is always a paper trail left. Not worth going to jail for!!
@sugartoes (41235)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@Susan2015 that's why I don't work in a bank ha ha ha
@skysnap (17808)
You;re happy that's what counts.
@skysnap You got that right!!
@Macarrosel (7549)
A bank teller nowadays does multi-tasking. Unlike before when I was I bank teller, life seemed easy as long as I balance the trasanctions for the day, that's it.
I would have been absolutely useless trying to sell products.
That is one job I never wanted to do. I am good at counting money.
@Lucky15 (33750)
With those quota you have to meet..stressful and too much pressure
well then yes you are free.What is next there
@amadeo A receptionist job in a law office!
@Susan2015 this is more challenge .I hope that you will liked it
@amadeo It should be a lot more calmer.
• Midland, Michigan
I never imagined that you worked in the banking industry. Now I understand why you didn't write about specifics of your job. My daughter is working at a local credit union and has to do the selling you speak of. She is also not allowed to talk about work at a public place or she could get fired outright. I work in a store found in your area that is similar to wallmart but not that store. This one began in Grand Rapids and is in our state, ohio, Ky, Wisconsin, IL, and IN mainly. It isn't world-wide nor in all the states and probably won't ever be. We can't say a lot about where we work either, although mainly they don't want us posting on social media specifics about the business. Will you be doing something else instead, or are you retiring from working?
@MarshaMusselman 7 years to retire. I am going to start work next week as a Receptionist in an attorney's/CPA office.
@MarshaMusselman I think I know the store you are talking about.
I guess it must depend on the bank. I have several friends in the banking industry at different levels. I have never heard talk about goals like that. We have 'tellers' and 'a customer service rep' at our location. They don't seem to 'share duties' at all. Our CSR will make a deposit for us if we are there speaking with her, but tellers don't do much else but be tellers.
Maybe someone else does all the other stuff.
@Susan2015 I did mystery shopping - teller mystery shopping and there were things I had to look for and none of those things pertained to anything but the actual deposit or withdrawl and how they handled it. It's funny now that i don't do msing the bank I use is the bank I shopped for years.
@Debscrochet (1068)
My friend has been a teller for over 30 years. She has ruined her feet with all the standing. Has had multiple surgeries on her feet and ankles. So much standing is not good. Glad you're out of there.
@Debscrochet Yes, my feet are awful, it doesn't take much for them to hurt. Many banks make you stand most of the day.
Yes and the pay does not reflect the responsibility. So I gather you took the lawyers office job? Good for you.
@BelleStarr Yes I did. A whole different career.
@sunrisefan (18532)
A few years after my wife and I availed of early retirment from the bank, operations (like yours) were also divided in two - one for operations and the other for sales. My wife who handled Time Deposit and Money Market placements also became a Sales Associate. I was with backroom operations, taking charge of balancing transactions of all departments. (Thanks for the suggestion @hereandthere )
@ida123 (6246)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
When I was still working in the bank, our tellers has no quota but maybe, the bank your working is very big bank, that's why.
@hereandthere (31951)
i notice that everyone in the bank is recommending a product to you
@Marcyaz (35650)
I have heard it is not a very good job and doesn't pay that well for what they want you to do. I am glad you are going to a different kind of job. No wonder there is such a big turnover.
@fishtiger58 (30337)
• Momence, Illinois
You have to sell stuff as a bank teller. What is that, I wouldn't do that job. I am not a seller
@fishtiger58 Yes, we have to ask about certain things, like do you want to sign up for a debit card, credit card, open a new account, do you have need for a home equity loan or a mortage, etc. Most places have specific quotas that they have monthly for the tellers.
@fishtiger58 (30337)
• Momence, Illinois
@Susan2015 Yea having quotas is so wrong, as you said you can't make anyone buy something. I sell on ebay and they do the same thing. I can't make anyone buy anything. Really stupid.
@Susan2015 my sister is in human resources in a bank and she must refer one person to get an account a year. This year I was getting an account so she used me as a referral!
@simone10 (21650)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I know you must be so relieved to be able to move on. Were you ever robbed?
@simone10 No I never was. Thank goodness. There were times that some strangers would come in and look around. But when you say Hi or Can I help you or just even look at them and they see you looking at them, they leave.
@simone10 (21650)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@Susan2015 I'm glad that you were never robbed. That is one thing that would really scare me about being a teller.