Do proud people ever change..

I called my sister to meet me at the food store. She did and I told her to pick up a basket and find something for dinner. We go looking through the meat and stuff. Find a few things and you can see she is uncomfortable. I said,let's get some cold cuts. she is looking for the lowest price meats. I say let go get some eggs about two dozen. Mind you I buy my house 4 dozens and I am single here. She walked away about to cry. I then said you can stretch a meal making eggs. so she said ok one dozen of medium eggs. I said one dozen of jumbo eggs and were done.We walk down and she needs something from the ladies isle we get that and we are good. The total came to $25 which many know is nothing to break a bank. She kept saying sharon thank you so much I really need this. I said your welcome and i walked her a fe blocks laughing and joking. I am now home for a while and I am trying to figure out how to give her $100. she is very private and will just about die before letting you know she is broke.. Well her son needed $500 towards his college fees that is what broke her. If I give her that amount of money she won't take it. because I am the one with the least out of the family. But that would not break me. Do you think I should put it certified mail to her from no one? I honestly can't see her using it. she is so into church she would not trust that money. Do I go to walmart and get her stuff like I do for kay and I and ship it to her? I don't know but she could use the help. I hate that she won't just take it out my hand.
@yukimori (9040)
If you want to help her out that way, maybe she would be more willing to take a gift card than cash. You could say that you got it from somewhere and don't need it right now. Another option might be giving it to her and saying that you would like to help ease the costs of sending her son to college a bit. I can appreciate a mother's desire to make sacrifices so her child can have a great education, but she can't ignore her physical needs to do it. Have you introduced her to some of the sites we use to make money? I'm not thinking myLot, but something like Swagbucks can be a decent way to earn extra money. It might even be something her son can do to help pay for his college fees. I would also make sure that you suggest that she get him to fill out a FAFSA form if he hasn't already done so. That's the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, and he can do it online really easily. He could qualify for assistance with school like federal grants if he and his parents (if he's under a certain age) qualify based on income.
Apply now! Federal Student Aid has more than $150 billion available to help you pay for school.
I knew this was a good place to get ideas. Great information!
She can't get that due to something about the fathers income. He needs his wifes info and she will not add it to the paper work. She had to take out a loan and cash.
@yukimori (9040)
@sharon6345 Oh, that's terrible. I really hate that they require parents' info... not all parents feel that they should have to pay for their kids' educations. Denying people educational opportunities based on what their parents make just isn't right.
I would ask her if she would do me a favor. Then I would tuck the money in her pocket, waste belt or whatever. She'll look at it and I would shush her. This is a favor. Then I would kiss her on the forehead and leave it at that. If she won't take the money then take her to the store a few times. People don't usually change.
I will call her and take her with m to the store. Let her go home in a cab. That will be easy and she should not mind. Thank you.
Great ideas @celticeagle
@sharon6345 ....She's like me. Nearly broke half way through the month.
This is a good place to ask for ideas to handle that. Maybe convince her it is a loan?
She won't take it being that she knows I won't loan money I prefr to just give it and be free of it.
@sharon6345 Being free of it is certainly a stress free way of handling it. I get why you would want to do it that way.
@yukimori (9040)
@sharon6345 Tell her that she can consider it a loan, with the repayment being to 'pay it forward' to someone else who needs a bit of help when she gets the opportunity?
I think you just do what you did for her today. Wait until she approaches you and be there for her.
She asked me yesterday but not today. I knew she had nothing so I offered. She feels like she is hurting me.
She is very proud,ashamed of being broke I know as i have been there and its hard to take help even from someone you really know and trust I feel for you both. you just want to help her hope she will let you hugs
I would not see her needing to feel shame it's ok to need help. I ask whenI need it.
@magallon (17869)
Maybe you can just buy her things that you think she needs. And tell her you're happy giving some things to her.
@quantum2020 (8825)
• Ciudad De Mexico, Mexico
Yes, when the need to dignified themselves is not a necessity in their lives.
@miniam (9241)
• Bern, Switzerland
I`d suggest going to the super market and buying her stuff,things like pasta so she can have them longer this way she will not feel too guilty accepting.
I can sure do that for her. I stock up big time on stuff like that.
@yukimori (9040)
@sharon6345 Amazon does groceries. You could order a few necessities for her that way and have them delivered to her door.
Give her a gift card and tell her you earned it on a site. She might take a gift card that she can use.
She won't take that big a gift that big. I am going to take her shopping with me.