To Cheesy Movie Fans Everywhere

@Raelove (16813)
Saco, Maine
I love the term that @JohnRoberts used to describe the latest horror movie he's writing about here: cheesy. So many of those movies were, and if they weren't good for anything else, they were always good for a laugh. But, I wasn't laughing in 1959 when my mother took me and my little sister to see this movie at our local theater: "Caltiki, the Immortal Monster." A precursor to the "blob" movies that came later, this one tells the tale of a mysterious organism that emerges out of a subterranean pool in a Mayan cave being explored by a team of archaeologists. As all good scientists will do, they destroy the monster, but not before saving a piece of it to take back to the states with them for observation. Once back there, the blob starts growing again and goes on a rampage, consuming anyone or anything that gets in its way. When it takes over one of the scientists' entire house, threatening to consume his family, he succeeds in finally destroying Caltiki. If memory serves me well, this Italian-American production was filmed in black-and-white. But that didn't minimize the impact one bit when the blob started consuming people and then spitting out just their skeletons. I had nightmares for weeks after seeing this movie, and my mother swore she'd never take me to another one. I've seen clips of it since then on YouTube and get such a kick now as to how cheesy it really was. But the mind of a child does not recognize the "cheese" concept, so back then, it definitely lived up to its advertising as a "horror" movie. Public Domain Image
I have not seen Caltiki, the Immortal Monster but you know I want to!
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Yes, I do. I'm not sure if you're set up for it, but you can watch the whole movie on YouTube. I might give it a shot and see how much I can get through sitting in front of this laptop. Not my preferred way to watch anything, but it'll be fun to see it again.
I can't stand watching this kind of movie at all.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
They're not for everyone.
@Raelove Every one has different tastes.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
@marlina That's right...
I cannot remember this movie, I have seen many that are surely similar. I like them time by time.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
Yes, they can be fun.
I don't remember this movie. The Blob I do remember. I like old movies like these.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
From your photo, I'm guessing it came before your time...1959...which is probably why you've never heard of it. It was pretty obscure until YouTube came along.
I like a cheesy movie very now and then. Full of laughs those can be.
@Raelove (16813)
• Saco, Maine
This one was very scary way back when, not so much now. I guess we're all conditioned for modern special effects. Those were pretty good for their time, though.