My Big Toe Fell Off!

No not the entire toe only the toenail. It isn't what you might think either. A while ago I jammed my big toe badly and it affected the toenail. That toenail was severely damaged and grew in a way It couldn't be rectified. Today It fell off leaving the majority of that area exposed while a new nail grows in. Have you ever experienced this? What did you do while the area was exposed?
I have not, but my husband has due to running marathons. I think he bandaged it, but I sure did not look at it.
@Corbin5 I've covered it up as I don't want to see it either! The banding may have to be more detailed too.
@Corbin5 I don't want to see it either!!
@Susan2015 You need to look at it to make sure it is ok. You can do it.
@gr8nana6 (2251)
I lost my big toenail many years ago, due to dropping a heavy floor polisher on it. As far as I can remember I just bandaged it up until the new nail grew in.
@gr8nana6 I've got it bandaged for sure but may have to have it checked as there are some potential signs of an infection.
Yes years ago i dropped a big can on my big toe and the toenail came off and it took a very long time for the toe nail to grew back.
• Midland, Michigan
Its supposed to take a year, but I wonder if when we get older it takes even longer than that as I've been waiting for new nails for more than a year, but I have more going on with mine.
I have had part of a nail fall off and I also have one nail which is ridged and 'bent' and has always been that way after it was damaged by a horse treading on it.
• New Delhi, India
Betadin is a very good ointment in this situation
@ModernDayWriter Good advice. It may need some suave but not sure yet.
• New Delhi, India
@Berniezeitler yup. agreed.
• Midland, Michigan
@Berniezeitler I think you mean salve. Some might wonder why you are putting a brand of shampoo on it.
this may sound odd, but... have a fake nail glued on. it will help protect the new nail and the toe
@Jessicalynnt Hmm I may have to consider that. It seems to be healing ok at the moment but that may change.
@Berniezeitler have a coworker who used to do nails, she said she'd do that for guys with lost fingernails, it sounds odd, but it really does keep some of the pain down, as that area is not used to feeling things. needs the nail over it for a helmet basically
@LoriAMoore (9987)
I've never had it happen but my husband has had it several times (he's diabetic).
• Midland, Michigan
I think I may have damaged several of my toes a few years ago. My doctor offered to remove the nails so they could grow back properly, but that was before I went to Guatemala and I decided to wait. Well, it's been at least a year maybe two and those nails have yet to fall off. Now I wish I let him remove them. I think there's more going on than what started it all as several layers are growing one on top of the other. My nails seem to have quit growing altogether, so I've begun taking a nail and hair vitamin to see if that will help.