My Favorite Disco Songs: #10 "Play That Funky Music" Wild Cherry (1976)

Los Angeles, California
Yes, disco. Like any good rocker, I despised disco back in the day as I drifted into punk/new wave/alternative. Many years later when hearing disco songs in retro movies, I found them catchy good listening and detected an influence on 80s new wave and synthpop. My list will not include the Queen of Disco Donna Summer as I never cared for her. Or the Bee Gees. "Saturday Night Fever" is a fine movie but I did not rush out to get the soundtrack. Ditto for disco supergroup Chic ("Le Freak") or Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive" which is considered the greatest disco song. "Play that funky music white boy" Wild Cherry wss an all white funk band. Written by lead singer, Rob Parissi, "Play That Funky Music" was a number one platinum single from the band's self titled debut album. Wild Cherry enjoyed four other minor charted songs. I say the song is more funk than disco but it is counted among the first major disco hits. There is a lyric screaming disco: "Dancin' and singin' and movin' to get groovin'" "Play That Funky Music" is used in movies and TV and frequently covered including by Prince in concert.
Wild Cherry performs their hit song "Play that funky music" on the Midnight Special 1976
You got me grooving all right.Now I feel funky and on my way to the Dr.Visit
Alfredo, you are the funkiest dude here!
@Chellezhere (1395)
One of my fondest memories of my late Aunt Patricia was her realizing some time after she had awakened and begun to get ready for work, that she'd been hearing this song in her head all morning.
@simone10 (21650)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Oh, I love that song! It is a great song to dance to.
@EddieHands (37823)
good song and it goes perfect with Cherry coke! Meow Blessings
A classic piece of funk. They'll still be playing this on the radio fifty years from now.
Awh - another politically incorrect song!
@FourWalls (14242)
BTW, I'll join this...if I can find ten disco songs I like.
@FourWalls (14242)
Something that I was surprised to discover is that Donnie Iris, who did one of my favorite underrated songs of the 80s, "Ah Leah!," was a member of Wild Cherry. That was after this song, though.
@Raelove (16810)
• Saco, Maine
That IS a good one. Another of my favorites is "You Should Be Dancing," by the BeeGees.
Bee Gees- Bee Gees Greatest- You Should Be Dancing
@clrumfelt (5424)
Kind of cliche because both songs are about dancing, but I'm partial to "Dancing Queen" by ABBA and "I Love the Nightlife" by Alicia Bridges.
yea it is a cool one. i really like the Album Dangerous.