My Ten Favorite Linda Ronstadt Songs: Old Paint (#2)

@FourWalls (7974)
I can't believe how much two days of putting and getting up early took out of me. I was really drained today, sleeping (I'd dare not call that a "nap") for over 2 1/2 hours when I got home from work today. But hey, I'm over 50, so I'm allowed to take a nap! Meanwhile, here's the penultimate favorite in my look at my ten favorite Linda Ronstadt songs. @JohnRoberts has also done a top ten Ronstadt song list, so check his out as well. #2: Old Paint You talk about making a song your own? Here Ronstadt took one of the most iconic cowboy songs in history and turned it into a masterful, incredible song that still gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. Sparse instrumentation (Ronstadt playing guitar, Kenny Edwards on bass, and the legendary Seldom Scene co-founder Mike Auldridge on Dobro) accompany Linda and those incredible harmonies (Edwards, producer Peter Asher, and progressive bluegrass great Herb Pedersen) on this song about a cowboy on the move to work a corral in Montana. The middle verse is about someone else (in Ronstadt's version "Old Bill Brown," but other versions have other last names, such as "Jones") with a family that's gone ("one went to Denver and the other'n went wrong, his wife, she died in a pool room fight"). Finally, the true final wish of a cowboy: Well, when I die, take my saddle from the wall Put it on my pony and lead him from his stall Tie my bones to his back, turn our faces to the west And we'll ride the prairie that we like the best Growing up with country and western music (and yes, they are two different types of music) I've heard several versions of this song. Nothing even comes close to Ronstadt's version. Old Paint Traditional From Simple Dreams, 1977 John's #2 Song: "Poor, Poor Pitiful Me" (also from Simple Dreams, also from the same side of the album! ) Prepare for goosebumps:
Skip navigation UploadSign inSearch Loading... Close Yeah, keep it Undo Close Watch QueueQueueWatch QueueQueue Loading... Watch Queue Queue __count__/__total__ Loading... Find out whyClose rock&pops good music Vinyl Disk 2 SubscribeSubscribedUnsubscribe47
• Manitou Springs, Colorado
I used to own this on vinyl. Great song!
She always seemed to include a "traditional" song on her albums. In addition to the Spanish influence of her family, Linda is from Arizona where some cowboy and the west rubbed off on her.
@clrumfelt (5427)
Where are the other 8? I only see 2 on your list. My Ronstadt faves are " When Will I Be Loved" and " Tracks of My Tears."
@clrumfelt (5427)
@FourWalls Oh yeah I forgot about " Love is a Rose." It's one of my favorites too.