They Bee Gone

Sometime during early spring, another swarm of bees decided to land on our lemon tree in the backyard. Two large clusters formed. Last time we called in a bee guy, but this time we decided to leave them alone to see what would happen. The bigger of the two clusters amazingly left after a day or so. But the other stayed. And grew. I thought for sure they were making a hive, but they weren't bothering us so we let them carry on. I checked in on them daily. It was amazing how still they were as a group in the mornings and evenings - it looked like a big pineapple was in our tree! We just let them "bee". This weekend was so busy that I didn't even go in our backyard. Hubby happened to look at the lemon tree yesterday (Monday) and said that it looked like the bees were entirely gone now. I ran out there and sure enough the bees were gone! Gone ? They didn't even say goodbye . Although I was glad the swarm finally left, a part of me was sad - they had been there for a few good months. What's strange is there was no hive left . . . so just what were they doing there? Perhaps they were waiting for a time that I wouldn't check in on them so they could make their getaway . **Sidenote. The bees left, now I wish our neighbors did the same. We had to call the cops again this morning as we awoke to their fighting in the yard again. Do you have pleasant animal/critter neighbors around you?
We have a minor ant problem. We used to have bee problems and hives around the house, but not anymore (thankfully). I am sorry to hear the neighbors are bothersome! Did the cops come in time?
Our friends have a really bad ant problem in their house - it seems to happen every year when the weather starts getting warmer. Glad you don't have to deal with the bees anymore. Yah, stupid neighbors . . . the cops did come and they did stick around a while - not sure what came of it - but they were fighting again after they left!
@much2say Dang what is their problem (the neighbors).... Hopefully no more problems occur! The ant thing is temporary, comes and goes but I hate ants.
@infatuatedbby It's a domestic abuse issue - I can only see it getting worse. All has been super quiet since yesterday, but history shows that eventually something will happen again. I don't know all those people in there can stand each other. Even a zillion ants get along better than they all do!
@Hate2Iron (7967)
How cute a little story... darling daughter is actually thinking about creating an environment for the bees at our new house for the bees. I have often wondered what "real honey" tastes like. But I do hope that you can get those neighbors to vacate the area!!
Interesting about creating an environment for bees! We wanted to do that for butterflies - not bees . I know flowers attract bees for sure - but I don't know how swarms come around! I would love to have a taste of fresh honey, but these bees did not leave a hive - very strange - and they had been huddling around together for at least 4-5 months now. I wish our neighbors would leave their hive!!
How kool to have a swarm of bees in one of your trees. Usually they'd do that if the tree is blooming, you should have some good lookin lemons for fall, at least I hope so. I have one neighbor that I wish would move but since it's unlikely I simply keep to myself, they aren't close enough to be of too much a bother.
The first time it happened it was scary and alarming. But having these set of bees, I know now they're not out to attack us. We always have good lemons each year - already there are little green things all over the tree, so they did their job! Our bedrooms are on the side of their yard, close to their back porch and garage where people tend to yap. We have a short wall too, so we see and hear everything that goes on in that particular area. We're building an extension to that wall soon, but I don't even know if that will help that much.
I've heard that clumping bamboo can create a really nice privacy wall, I hope to be able to get some to grow here @much2say
@rebelann We actually want to do that for our backyard! I think bamboo looks really nice. Apparently it's drought tolerant too so that helps.
Sounds like someone is going to get some yummy lemon flavored honey. Neighbors can be so horrible. I have lived here for many years and we have had quite an array of idiots live nearby. One, for instance, was a couple and the women was paranoid and would call the police when he husband came home from work and was trying to get in with his key.
I would love lemon flavored honey . . . but the bees didn't leave a hive - not even a trace of one - isn't that strange?? If there was no hive, I have no idea why they were huddled together like that for so long. We've only had this house for about 4 years and already we've seen "the array of idiots" as well. The guy is physically abusive to his girlfriend - and he seems to be the paranoid one - sounds like he's always accusing her to quit taking his stuff.
@much2say ....Yes, it would be yummy. I would continue to report that guy. Sounds like they both need a swift kick in the bazoo.
@celticeagle Exactly. We haven't needed to make the call - but then again the weekend is coming. We are going to scream if they wake us up again!
It seems that you got to like this swarm of bees and felt lost after they left.After all those bees do no harm to you, compared to your problem neighbor.
I guess one could say the bees were like "pets" - although we never needed to tend to them. It was rather nice having going to the yard to visit them everyday. In that sense, the bees were definitely better neighbors than our human ones!
@much2say I thought bees tend to hive off over a period of drought,don't know why they did this now.
@changjiangzhibin89 Strange, right? Maybe they just liked the smell of lemons !
Sorry, yet happy, that the bees moved on to greener pastures. Lol! Hopefully, your neighbors will be evicted or move. We have all kinds of wildlife here that come out of the woods.
I was thinking that maybe the bees were disturbed by our crazy neighbors too ! The only reason why our owner might evict is if those guys don't pay the rent - all he cares about is his money. But hopefully the mismatch of all roomies will make 'em move out!
@much2say Those neighbors just may have scared away the bees. They sound like real jerks! Perhaps you will luck out sooner than later.
@DianneN They got quiet again . . . but who knows what will happen over the weekend! Wish us luck!
problems as always. so bad but nothing can be done.
I won't even attempt to go near these people - they are crazy - and so we let the police deal with them. If only they could learn from the bees . . . get along with everyone . . . and move when the time comes!
@much2say yes it is better always to keep away from them.
I am scared of bees. I would have wigged out if that happened here.
I kinda wigged out the first time - that's why we called that bee guy immediately. But I learned with these bees that if you leave 'em alone, they won't do anything. They must've left quietly - same way they came!
We haven't had hardly any bees here the last two years. We used to be careful going in and out of the back door.
Luckily the lemon tree is back of the yard - so we didn't have to be too careful about the door . . . but if we wanted to get lemons, oh we were extra careful!
• Otis Orchards, Washington
I suppose the bees were too busy doing whatever they were doing to bother anyone as long as no one bothered them. I don't think anyone likes it when they have to call the cops on their neighbors. I have never had to do that but I'm sure it's quite annoying.
@RichardMeister I was hoping to see a hive, but there was nothing, NOTHING! I heard bees were delirious now - can't sense direction and such - I hope they haven't forgotten how to create their home! We're not the type to call the cops all the time - but this was bad. It was about 6am. The guy was physically abusing the pregnant girlfriend. She was screaming that he kicked her in the stomach and that she was bleeding! Last time the cops (they were super nice) said that if we heard anything bad that someone was getting hurt - do not hesitate to call because that was their job (good cops - thank you good cops). If we didn't make the call, I'm sure eventually Ms. Watchdog would have done it. I don't think she was around at that time - she didn't even come to my door to snoop around about what all the noise was about.
Glad the bees you had were a friendly group of bees. Our neighbors are very quiet. You really do have some neighbors that create a disturbance. No concern do they have for others.
I think the bees were so friendly that they must have been upset with these neighbors and decided to move away . Yah, we're having to deal with an abusive couple - no concern for others nor each other!!
@VivaLaDani13 (21581)
• Perth, Australia
@much2say lol let them "bee." We have a few bees around in the back yard but I am pretty sure there is a little wasp hive too somewhere. I am usually too scared to go out there in case I get attacked. Sorry about your neighbours.
The bees have not come back since - I actually kinda miss 'em! But the neighbors are still here .
• Perth, Australia
@much2say Are your neighbours constantly being a bother? Have you guys actually had arguments or anything?
@VivaLaDani13 We don't have arguments with them . . . they don't bother come to bother us. There is a young couple in an abusive relationship . . . they scream and hit each other - and we have to hear it. We've had to call the cops on them because they have screaming arguments at wee hours - and they get physical too. We built an extension to the wall between our houses because we could see it all - and we had enough. Supposedly they are going to get evicted, but I haven't seen any moving trucks come in yet.
@DaddyEvil (25818)
• Aurora, Missouri
We never hear anything out of our neighbors.... anymore! (grinning at you!) Everyone is quiet around here! We LIKE it! Did you think about getting a hive for the bees to move into?
Yah, anymore ! It's quiet-er, but we just know that any moment things can explode! And yah, I wished we could've put a hive between our properties so the neighbors would stay away from our side of the house ! Nah, I wouldn't do that to the bees !
That seems odd behaviour from the bees. Sorry about your neighbours - we are lucky as ours are no bother.
I thought for sure I would have to call the bee guy again even if they left and knew I would have to pay more for a hive removal . . . but seriously not a trace of a hive was left! Yep, and our neighbors display odd behaviors too !
I thought I read somewhere that bees will gather in a place while the scouts go out searching for a more permanent place to make a hive. Sorry about the neighbours.
There used to be a lot of bees in our front garden, but since it was renovated I only see them at the back. but not much, just one or two.
perhaps the bees tired'f the neighbors's well 'n thought best to jest sneak off with nary a farewell. i've many pleasant critters 'round here, e'en fav's that i seek out each day. fret if'n i don't catch't least a glimpse'f 'em, fearin' that somethin' awful's occurred.