A French First Name Would Have Been Nice

My mother's side of the family is French, surname GÉRÉEC. My cousins have beautiful French names, but not me. Jeanine Marie, Nanette, and Sheree are the names of my three female cousins. My grandmother's name was Marie. My great grandmother's name was Louise. I wish Mom had given me a French name rather than the name Deborah. In my opinion, the French names for girls have a bit more flair to them. I would have been pleased to have been named any of the following: Alexis Ariele Cecile Marguerite Amelie Chloé Maybe if I stick an accent mark over the letter "a" in Deborah that will give it a bit of French flair. Morguefile free photo.
I used to dislike my name, spelled with 2 n's. I thought my parents misspelled my name, so I went through school spelling it with one "n" until a roommate in college spelled hers with two. She was French. I immediately went back to how it was spelled on my birth certificate. Bless my parents! C'est la vie!
@cacay1 (33203)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@DianneN, your name is great.
We all do fiddle with our names a bit. Originally, my name was spelled Debby, but that seemed to babyish to me so I changed that to Debbie. Yes, I prefer the 2 n's in your name.
And I always thought Dianne was supposed to have two 'n's!
@KristenH (24942)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Aww, I could picture you as a Marguerite. I think you meant Chloe and Chole.
I really do love Marguerite. Thanks for the tip on Chloe! Changed it and even added the accent mark.
@KristenH (24942)
• Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
@Corbin5 My pleasure. I used to work with someone named Marguerite years ago for my work-study job.
@miniam (9233)
• Bern, Switzerland
Im Roseline and very happy with my name as it is .................not common
@sol_cee (17389)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
Dan Brown's book mentioned about the Rose Line.
You have a beautiful name. So unique!
@miniam (9233)
• Bern, Switzerland
@Corbin5 thanks,im happy with my name
@beenice2 (2389)
I'm French speaking and I have a French name too most of my family are in Québec.
And what kind of a French name to you give your daughter? Hmmm....
@beenice2 We visited Quebec on vacation when I was little. Such a lovely place! Such pride goes in having a name that is related to one's ancestry.
@beenice2 (2389)
@Corbin5 I am happy for you dear.
My father named me after the queen of France, and i don't have a single drop of french blood in me.
Well, you do have a lovely name! My brother has an Irish name and not a drop of Irish in him either.
@Corbin5 Most people in my country likes to to copy the names of movie stars or famous persons.
My mother's name was Marguerite. She was half French half Irish. My middle name is French for John.
What a lovely name your mother had! Your mom did the French thing just right for your name.
@Corbin5 I don't know if my mom had a hand in my name. I know it was my dad who gave me my first name.
There's also Dominique, Francoise, Clothilde, Anny, Nathalie.
I like Dominique. I could rock that name. My cousin Sheree's daughter is Nathalie. Such pretty names.
I think Deborah is a pretty name but I can see how French names do have some 'flair' about them.
Well, some days I could use a little flair so I can pretend and pick one of the French names on the list and use it just for fun.
@Corbin5 Deborah is hard to say with a French accent too. Maybe you need an alternate name for when you want to feel a bit 'French'.
@JudyEv I like Alexis, Lexi for short. Yep, I will get my French on with Alexis! My grandmother, Marie, came to the USA with her parents when she was age 8. She was scolded in school for speaking French and cried every day, but that was the way it was back in the day. Mom said she remembers her grandfather reading the newspaper, swearing in French while swatting flies.
@OreoBrownie (3648)
• Elberton, Georgia
French names are very romantic names too.
Yes, they are. If we ever have a granddaughter, perhaps I can convince our son and his wife to go for a French name. Worth a suggestion.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I like the name Amelie and Chole. My Dad's side of the family was French Canadian so I'm not sure if it is the same.
I love Amelie and Chloe too. I have to do a bit of research on French Canadians. Will be an interesting task for sure.
@simone10 (21647)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@Corbin5 It probably would be interesting. I wonder if they were French people who migrated to Canada and that's why they were called French Canadian?
kinda funny how that works, eh? i'm the only'n my family who's not the 'traditional' southern name - whereas the first 'n middle're used together constant. when i 'twas growin', i admit to feelin' a bit left out. yepperz, i reckon ya could try that lil mark thingy, though such'll still not change the wonderful woman that'cha 're :)
Thank you for your kind words about this Deborah. Yes, using the first and middle together does seem to be a common practice for southern names. Our parents use our first and middle names when they were upset with us, to up the serious factor I suppose. A wonderful woman you are too my friend!!!
@Corbin5 yer welcome :) gigglin' o'er the folks bein' 'pset 'n usin' both'f yers. 'twas a shocker to me the first time i heard somebody tell their young'un "don't make me use yer middle name!" 's i thought such 'twas common practice 'n i'd jest been left out.
I always disliked my name Marilyn & since I was born on Christmas I thought I should have had a holiday name like Holly or Merry or even Chris. However I do like your name Deborah
I suppose many of us wish our parents had given us different names. My brother has an Irish name, Barry. And my sister has a French/English name, Wendy (Gwendolyn). I bet you were one cute Christmas baby!!!
@cacay1 (33203)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Your name might be your mom's favorite name.Your name is unique for your friends may call you in different ways like: Debz, Dedat, Debzkie, Debbie, cute nicknames friend.
Well, when I was little, I spelled it Debby, then to make it sound more grown up, I changed it to Debbie. I will work on liking my name a bit more, I suppose.
My Grandma's name was Mary to but with a y and, you have a good name.
Well, I have had it for so long, I need to find ways to like it much more.
@sol_cee (17389)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
If you stick an accent mark over the letter a, will it change the pronunciation?
I suppose it would. Worth a try.
• Austin, Texas
When it comes to being unusual and not easy to remember my first and middle name don't roll off a person's tongue. Took me years to learn to appreciate my own name. I always thought my late sister had a beautiful first and middle name, even though it isn't French. Her name was Arena Elizabeth.
Your sister's name was beautiful. Yes, some names do take some time to appreciate. I am working on appreciating mine.
@sofssu (14447)
I like your name. I like mine too.. More because I like the meaning behind my name. It's Sophie.
Your name is a darling name. I love the name Sophie!
My mama is Eugenie, my Grandmother is Elisa, my great grandmothers bless their hearts are Mary and Sara (two French men married two Irish sisters) and I am Isabelle. So I did get a French name but my daughter is Kasey oops we slipped back to the Irish. My brothers are Alain and Francois. but our last name is Donahue. lol The French version of your name is Debora
You have a wealth of French and Irish names in your family! Such variety. I like the name Kasey due to its uniqueness. Yes, Debora is what I was called by some, but I did not like the way that sounded, so will stick with the Hebrew name Deborah for this Christian lady.
@lilnana1111 (2337)
You can have your name legally changed.
Well, since I am retired now, I will stick with that name I have had for so long. However, if my son and his wife have a girl child, maybe I can convince them to give her a French name.
@Corbin5 There you go, that's a cute idea.
@salonga (27955)
But Deborah is also a beautiful name and biblical too.
Yes, Deborah was a very strong and brave woman in the Bible. I take pride in that knowledge.