In the Door, Out the Door

Winston Salem, North Carolina
We arrived home from our trip up to Acadia National Park in Maine yesterday evening. I have much to write about, and many photos to post, but for the most part that will have to wait until after the weekend. Today I will be doing laundry (and a mountain of laundry it is), cleaning up camping gear and attempting to get everything put away). As that is completed I need to get into the kitchen and do some food preparation for a girls weekend that begins at noon tomorrow. Two nights in my own bed, and then I am off to Tennessee with a good friend and nine young ladies ranging in age from fifteen to twenty-five. I’m not looking forward to the drive, but I AM looking forward to a few days of rest and relaxation; a chance to recover from our family vacation! Do you ever feel that you spend more time travelling than you do at home? The photo was taken in a hotel parking lot somewhere in Connecticut.
It's a wonder that you had time to post this. I knew you were away, but is your sister away too? Haven't seen her around lately. Enjoy your weekend.
My other sister is my father's primary care giver. She does other things too and doesn't have as much time to be here as she maybe did before.
Ditto what Koop said, also her internet connection has been a bit sketchy the last several weeks.
@jaboUK It's a lot of work and time. I'm glad she's able to be there.
I'm sure it feels good to be home. Enjoy it before you're on the road again. I've never done much traveling, but I would like to one day.
It IS good to be home for a bit, and I'm looking forward to staying home for a while after this weekend!
@Platespinner How long is a while?
@just4him "a while" in this case is for the next few months. I need to get up to Canada to visit family, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to pull that off. My husbands on-call schedule, and the work and school schedules that I juggle for the kids, means I'll be mostly a homebody for the next several months.
@xFiacre (3870)
@platespinner Being on the road is incredibly expensive with all those stops for snacks etc, and you really need a few luxuries to get you through it.
Lol, I meant that sentence to say "do you ever feel you spend more time traveling than at home" it's amazing the difference the lack of a word can make.
@xFiacre (3870)
@Platespinner Actually that's what I thought at first but another commenter had picked it up to mean cash so I tagged along! But yes, the drive there is usually exhausting and needs time to recover from. Even in Ireland that's true and you can't drive very far here without falling off the edge into the sea.
@xFiacre you could drive in circles couldn't you? This was one of our less driving intensive family vacations. We were only about 16-18 hours away from home, though heavy traffic around major east coast cities stretched our travel time out significantly.
@UncleJoe (9175)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
9 girls ranging in age from 15 to 25? Rest and relaxation? I think not.
It doesn't sound entirely believable, but it's true. I think the key is that there are no guys around .
@UncleJoe (9175)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@Platespinner hope you guys had a great time in Maine. You were missed.
@UncleJoe We had a great trip, and hopefully I'll find the time to write some bits and pieces about it and share some photos!
@deafdiva (248)
ohh I can't wait to see pictures!
We saw a lot of spectacular scenery, so there will be lots of photos to share in upcoming discussions!
@deafdiva (248)
@Platespinner awesome!
yea i love to travel a lot and of it is for place visits and all then will be very nice. hope you enjoyed your visit well.
We had a great trip, exhausting, but great!
@Platespinner cool enjoy
@skysnap (17489)
I didn't spent much money on the travelling.
I'd meant to say "do you ever feel you spend more time travelling than at home" I'm not entirely sure how I managed to leave that one, vital, word out!
me travel:? lol Im stuck in this tiresome retirement center only traveling is to doctors appointments lol sad state of affairs.
Someday I won't be able to travel myself anymore, my Dad has reached that point, and I know he misses it terribly.
It's nice that you've had the chance to vacation with the family & now off for a girls trip. I haven't been anywhere in so long I've forgotten what it's like to take a vacation
The family trip was probably closer to bootcamp than vacation. We hiked nearly 50 miles in the 5 days we spent in the park and some of the trails were steep climbs from sea level to mountain-top.
Do you really think there will be a lot of R & R with a group of young ladies?
@koopharper (6353)
We spend way too much time driving but not enough traveling. Hope to be able to change that at some point.
back'n those days i'd always wished fer 'nother vacation to recuperate from the one jest taken, lol. lots'f fun, drivin' 'n when ya get home - exhaustion :) i nearly envy ya the chance to go to tennessee. i can close my eyes'n 'feel' the waterfalls i'd be visitin', the quietness'f the woods. i rarely leave my place these days, though't times 'd like to do a bit'f travelin'. there's so much to see 'round here (within a days drive) that i ne'er took the time to visit shamefully. always too busy with makin' a livin' 'n tendin' to others needs. perhaps one day...
@shivamani10 (11156)
• Hyderabad, India
you must have got a wonderful vacation. By the way, what is the dress you are wearing? It is very decent and elegant.
No more now, but in the past we surely spent more time traveling that time at home.
Two wonderful vacations for you. We cannot travel due to the care of my dad, age 95. One day perhaps. We are stuck here for now.