Not going to a wedding. Happily.

@xFiacre (10388)
Ireland
If I really must attend anyone else’s wedding I prefer it to be a low key affair with no surprises and no expectations of the guests other than that they turn up and behave themselves. Not too much to ask for surely. So it is with the greatest of pleasure that I learn that I have been spared the indignity of having to attend the wedding of people I know who are having a themed wedding and the dress code is “Fancy Dress”. The wedding is next week and so far the minister performing the ceremony has not been informed of this which makes me actually want to go. But aren’t all weddings themed along the same lines? The bride and groom and their entourage generally arrive in fancy dress of one sort or another, and often every bit as bizarre as a masquerade ball. The guests too, especially the non-men, appear in some get ups that just defy logic and it’s a miracle that those wearing them have been able to figure out what way round they go. Some of course don’t manage to sort it all out but just wear the outfit anyway. But why do couples feel the need not only to dress bizarrely themselves, but also to require their guests to wear kilts, feathers and baskets of fruit? I really don’t get any of this. At my own wedding I just did what I was told, smiled and ended up with a wife which was, of course, the object of the exercise. As a wise friend once muttered, “If the groom gives the bride her big day, then the bride will feel obliged to give the groom his big night”.
Well, as a 'non-man' (!!) I enjoyed my own wedding, frothy dresses for me and the bridesmaids and men in top hats and tails - lovely.
@xFiacre (10388)
@jabouk Last wedding I did the bride's dress was so tight and skimpy that one half of her ample bosom actually popped out of the dress to say hello to me and had to be stuffed back in again before I could proceed.
@xFiacre (10388)
@jaboUK and she wasn't in the least bit embarrassed!
• Rochester, New York
I'm not a happy camper at weddings. Too many people get hammered and make fools of themselves and I have to remind myself that I'm actually related to them.
I never heard that one before. I like it though. I guess my husband went to bed upset. We were not speaking the night before the wedding. I think it was weeks before he had his big day. lol.
@Mike197602 (13501)
• Worcester, England
sounds like forced fun...nothing guaranteed to make me cringe more I'd never get married even if I had a gf as I wouldn't want all the hassle.
@xFiacre (10388)
@mike197602 Best wedding I was at was my brother's - he's French and it was just one big explosion of joy and well-being shared with 20 friends and no bizarre headwear in sight.
The first wedding I went to with Husband, all the men had to wear Disney ties. *sigh* ... Thankfully, that's the only theme I've ever come across. I think that if I was invited to a fancy dress themed wedding I'd dress as a bride, maybe Frankenstein's or maybe Cinderella, just to make a point. Can't be doing with all the kerfuffle. I look back at my wedding and wish I'd done things a bit differently, but you get carried away sometimes.
@shivamani10 (9971)
• Hyderabad, India
Ah..ah..ah..ah..ahahahahh
here it is not like that. Here only the couples have to get in a good dress. and don't need the guests to wear like that. ha ha
I'm with you and much prefer a wedding that is low key