Pokemon NO

Sorry, I'm not into this Pokemon Go craze. I'm not entirely buying this "it gets people out and gets them active". The game may do that to a point, but still people must rely and focus on their gadgets to play. The kids and I drove out to a lovely botanical garden yesterday. We saw various plant/flower species, trees, insects, critters, a pond of catfish and turtles, peacocks, a barnyard and adobe house, an herb garden, waterfall . . . oh, and a lot of teens with their eyes to their phones in hand as they were playing Pokemon Go . Yes they were outside. Yes they were walking, (some being quite pokey I might add). Yes they were in a beautiful environment, but did they really take notice of their surroundings besides trying to find a little virtual Pokemon character? They say it's better than just sitting there while fiddling on the phone. But "better" is relative. Is it really any better if I take a chocolate cake and eat it while strolling around the neighborhood? I'm not totally against games, but I do think there is a time and place for it. It's just sad to me when I see kids being too caught up in their games/screen time that they miss out on too many real life experiences . What are your feelings about Pokemon Go or "gadgetry usage" in general?
@Mike197602 (13368)
• Worcester, England
I'm not into it either but it has got the convenience store I work at quite a bit more business lately. Directly across the road is a big church and it's one of those pokemon gyms (don't know what that is exactly) and people come there a lot and I see them on their phones doing whatever they do. Then they often come in and buy stufff...so this pokemon is maybe adding to the businesses in other places....and severely annoying people in other places
Surely some businesses must welcome and benefit from the extra traffic, while others are not. I am reading about various places (like cemeteries and historical landmarks) that are asking to be banned from the game - because it would be too disrespectful for people to be playing there. I didn't know about Pokemon gyms til you mentioned it - I just read these gyms are often at a church or train stations. Hmmm, is it a way to get people to go to church?
@akalinus (15096)
Players are leaving their common sense at home. They take risks to catch these things. They are having accidents, falling down, getting hurt. For what? Blips on the screen. I did search the game. I noticed that you have to make in-app purchases to get any of the good stuff.
I cringe at each new story I read about these "accidents". Earlier I read about someone playing while driving and this person crashed into a cop car - can you believe it? I have a feeling we'll be hearing more about people not being safe while playing this game . . . and I don't like that now I'll be having to watch extra carefully for pokey people who aren't being careful because of their phones/games. I don't know much about the game, but I'm sure eventually "they" will get you to buy more stuff for the game . . . the addiction will make it a necessity to buy up!
@akalinus (15096)
@much2say If you ever wonder why they make these games, follow the money. I wish my son had invented it. I keep telling him to invent some viral computer game and he can quit stocking shelves.
@akalinus Right? My brother in law always says you just need that one game that takes off so you could make your millions. He actually tried, but wasn't even close to his millions.
I think folks who play it really are missing out on the great outdoors and are at risk for injury too since they are unaware of their surroundings.
I can't believe the daily stories that come out about the incidents that are happening because of the game. Actually I take that back - it's not the game that causes it - it's the silly irresponsible people who are not playing it safe nor paying attention while they are playing the game.
@DaddyEvil (24028)
• Aurora, Missouri
@Corbin5 Yes, you are correct, but whose fault is it that those people are being hurt in silly accidents? You can't really blame that on the game. The manufacturer or programmers are not forcing those people to keep their eyes on their phone constantly! Those stupid little monsters don't just appear, stick around for a second and disappear again! They are right there, taunting the game player to chase after them or corner them somehow.
@DaddyEvil Yes, the game should not get the blame. Perhaps the humans who play it will wise up once they run straight into a pole a few times.
@pgiblett (6595)
Pokemon Go can stop as far as I am concerned. To me I love gadgets, but the truth is gadgets are not play things. My son is nearing 30, but he liked Pokemon since he was a child, so I can see him being into it.
I don't mind gadgets - but I do mind when people cannot control themselves. And I don't like the bad habits that have come with the smartphone generation. My kids love Pokemon, but we just stick with those trading cards - I know they would totally get into it to if we let them.
@pgiblett (6595)
@much2say Self control is precisely why I say gadgets are not play things.
@pgiblett Unfortunately many folks are caught up in being entertained with their gadgets - way too much.
@Bluedoll (17071)
It might be a good thing if it gets people out and they meet and talk. On the other hand it might be a short craze that will die out as fast as it started. Who knows.
I guess it's hard for me to relate because we are always going somewhere anyway, and I have no problem talking/meeting people - I don't need a game to do these things. But yah, it'll be interesting to see where this goes . . . I can imagine other game developers making a similar game . . . and then what?!
@Bluedoll (17071)
@much2say the only thing I think I need is an ice breaker or something that allows talking to a stranger seem normal. But then it might only be meet and greet? Think it would feel strange unless you felt everyone else is too so...
@Bluedoll Maybe I am just a big mouth . I'm the type of person who starts the small talk - I guess I can be called the ice pick .
@skysnap (17820)
people are crazy here trying to find pokemons on road lol
Yah, did you read about some guy who was playing while driving and he actually hit a cop car? That's just crazy and stupid (and not safe!).
@skysnap (17820)
@much2say yeah i also checked news of one kid dropping from second floor to the garden
@skysnap That's really bad. And I'm sure we're going to hear more stories about people being careless in playing this game!
@Drosophila (16717)
I think its a great pick up tool! I know plenty adults that use it.. personally, I don't have the time for it. but, I guess it's a game and it's succeeded in doing what a game meant to do, provide entertainment. so no "dos" or "don'ts" for me. one can always argue there's a better time for everything? but then maybe there isn't.
I don't have time for it either - and I won't make the time . I can think of better ways to be entertained, but of course that's me . I have read that this game may have already reached it's peak - and that may be so - but I have a feeling other games will come out that is similar to this. We've seen the effects of this one - not sure what will happen if it keeps up.
@Drosophila (16717)
@much2say I really wouldn't worry about it, a game can't do much more than a bad politician can
Obviously I've heard the name as it's been in the news so much lately, but I don't know, or wish to know, what it is. But if it stops kids taking notice of their environment it can't be a good thing.
They say it's good because it gets people to be outside . . . but there's more to living than just physically "being outside". If only they would want to stop and smell the roses . . . instead of hunting down a little virtual character.
@sallypup (26681)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I applaud and admire your going on such a grand expedition with your kids. I can not imagine raising a kid these days. NO on any gadget for my kid until they got toward at least 10 yrs old. Old fashioned books and nature is best, is how my brain works.
My parents say the same thing about raising kids these days. I don't ever let my kids play on my phone, but they get their share from their dad's and friends phones. We don't have tablets, but they will use the computer here and at school - I don't ever worry they will be behind. My daughter is now 11, and we gave her a flip phone (not a smartphone) for communication purposes only because she is going on to middle school, a different school from where my little one goes. Both my kids do love technology whenever they can get their hands on it, but thankfully they do love their books too. Yah, we have tried to show our kids the little things in life and to show appreciation for it . . . super important before that technology stuff takes over!
@dodo19 (32696)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
Like you, I'm not really into either. Some people are just too focused on the game. I don't know. Not really my thing.
I can see the appeal of the game, but I'm not into it either. I just don't like all the downsides that are coming out of this particular game.
@dodo19 (32696)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
@much2say I know what you mean. I can understand why some people enjoy playing the game, but I'm not a fan of all the downsides.
@YesWay (3447)
I do like games, but people seem to be getting absolutely obsessed with this one!
i wish that folks'd more self control :( i've only heard'n the news 'bout that game, think such ought to be banned actually. most've not got their phones secured 'n 're 'xposed to folks'p to no good knowin' their e'ery move :( one should leave their gadgets 'hind, savor the moments that're present.
More of these stories keep popping up on the news - someone gets hurt due to their carelessness - and did you hear the one where that daughter and mother actually blamed it on the game? Oh please! Surely some security issue could be compromised. Many people lack self control as it is . . . this gives them a way make it worse. Yep - and just what did people ever do when there weren't any smartphones? They lived a life!
@much2say a sad state'f affairs, aint't? no wonder so many families're crumblin' 'n the world seems to be fallin' 'part. they're like lil zombies, with some purty messed'p priorities - quick to not accept blame fer their own actions. a fella hit a cop car today from what i hear, claims 'twas playin' this ridiculous game whilst 'hind the wheel drivn'. i wonder if'n he could live with the consequences if'n he'd hit a child??
@crazyhorseladycx I read about that guy too - the one that hit the cop car over the game - is that idiotic or what? Seriously, what if he hit a child, or even someone like me or you . . . it's not acceptable at all . . . and I am sure there are many more like him out there . Yes, people seem to be walking around like zombies - they've lost their senses!!!
@VivaLaDani13 (19308)
• Perth, Australia
@much2say I think it's an ok idea to get people out but so many people have been hit by cars or nearly been hit because they are still too busy looking down. I have never played it and don't think I will ever have the desire to actually.
It might get people out . . . but they're not really looking out for anything except for those Pokemon characters. Hubby and I refuse to have it on our phones . . . oh but the kids want it so badly because all their friends are playing it. I wonder if the appeal has gone down yet . . .
• Perth, Australia
@much2say I haven't heard anything lately about it actually. Maybe the rave has cooled down about it all.
@VivaLaDani13 I sure hope so. But you know they are timing it just right so they can bring out the next newest latest craze!!
This game is off the hook "annoying". Yeah, you get out but you're just glued to your phone, sometimes doing something things to catch a Pokemon. Some people went into other peoples backyards, spots you wouldn't go to after dark (example: getting a ticket for going to the park late), falling off a cliff at the beach to catch a Pokemon and not paying attention and so forth.
It's nuts! Hopefully the novelty is wearing off now . . . I read somewhere that it's already peaked. But surely there's going to be more games like this coming out. I've heard many of the stupid accident stories that stem from people focusing on the game - it's crazy!
@much2say Theres some people traveling the world to catch them all after catching all the ones in the US!
@infatuatedbby Now that's crazy. If I'm going to travel the world, I want to see the world. Not a Pokemon character!
I don't know what the Pokemon Go is all about ,but this makes me think why those kids that were fooling with their phones went to the botanical garden ,now that they weren't interested in it.Sadly, now some kids are farther and farther away from the real life.
It is very sad that kids seem to be getting farther away from real life. When my little son when on a field trip with his classmates, the teacher told me there were a few kids in the class that had never gone hiking before or even seen the beach. This is Los Angeles, how can any kid not have experienced these experiences? It's sad to me that some people are becoming blind to the things around them in real life!
@much2say That is of concern to us all.More and more kids are addicted to the virtual world and break away with real life.Don't know what will become of them .
@changjiangzhibin89 This is why I do not let my kids touch my phone at all. Some kids can zone out for hours and hours on games. There is a 17 year old boy who comes into tae kwon do - and while he waits for class to start, he tries to take a short nap in the corner . . . he literally falls sleep in one second. I asked his younger sister if he is really sleeping and she said yes - it is because he stays up all night playing his video games!
@EddieHands (37852)
Yes I think there should be a place and time or it. For instance what is Nintendo thinking of putting Pokemon in graveyards? They should choose places like parks. or malls. not dark spooky places. Also yes if you are out with the family, it's not good to play on the phone. Blessings !
@EddieHands (37852)
@much2say Yes I don't know if the monsters and generated at random. If they are, they should get control over that. Some kid got in trouble for catching a Pokemon in a police station. So there has to be some way to not make them appear just anywhere. And yes put away phone during family time meow
@EddieHands I can see how it can easily get out of hand. I saw that there was a list of inappropriate places to play Pokemon . . . but just why can't people figure this out for themselves? Meow!
This game just came out recently, I've known this anime but never be like or fan with it. I got two games in my laptop and that's about it.
People are walking around like zombies for this game! But I read this morning this game may already have reached it's peak - good. But surely some other game will come out to be the next craze.
I really don't understand the whole Pokemon craze.
I don't either. I mean, I can see the appeal somewhat - but it's crazy how people are getting too into it like that.
My grandchildren are all caught up in the Pokeman Go phase but I'm too old for such a thing. When I go outside for a walk I like to pay attention to what's around me and enjoy my walk.
I know a lot of kids are into it, and my kids really want it - but there is no way we are letting them play. There friends have it - they can see what goes on when they are with their friends. But otherwise we want them to pay attention to what's going on with their world!!
I have no interest in playing it, but I now have an urge to go walking downtown with a chocolate cake.
Eating a chocolate cake is more appealing than capturing a little virtual character, right?
@maclanis (1550)
• Belgium
I must say, in my case I disagree. I have met up with a friend twice this week, which I probably wouldn't have done if it weren't for pokemon go. We went out and walked around for quite a bit, and actually discovered new places in our city. We were amazed by the beauty of our city. At other times, we just go to places without really noticing our surroundings, but now we were discovering new ways to get to places, and by walking we we're looking around a lot more as well. With Pokemon Go you are able to go outside and look around, you don't have to look at your screen constantly thanks to the vibrate function. I do believe people need to be careful, though, because it could be dangerous sometimes if they don't pay attention. But generally I have just seen a lot more young people outside, just having fun.
I don't doubt that some will actually benefit from being out and about, even if it took a "game" to be a reason. I guess I am always out with the family already experiencing our surroundings and people as a norm. But I know it's not that way for everyone. Out here, it seems like people are constantly looking at their phones - adults and kids alike. It's almost as if they can't help but check what's on their screen - it's a habit. And it's really disturbing to me how people walk around with their phone in hand - they can't seem to put it away - even when talking to friends while walking. They may be outside, but are still very connected to their gadgets. Oh yes, and the not paying attention part really gets to me. I'm reading about the various incidents that have already happened - I'm sure we'll be hearing more of that.