Checking States off my List

Winston Salem, North Carolina
Over the years I have been fortunate to travel around most of the country that I currently call home. It began as family trips as a child, and continued when I left home and eventually married an American. Of the “lower forty-eight” there remained only seven states that I had not yet visited, and four of those were New England states. Adding those states to the list of places I had visited was not originally a goal of our most recent family vacation, but when I realized my husband’s plans included passing through three of those missing I suggested that I wouldn’t mind a detour through Rhode Island just so I could say that I had visted there as well. He wasn’t interested. On the second day of our travels, a slight miscalculation put us two hours ahead of schedule (I’m not even sure how that happened, mistakes of that nature usually cost us time), and our son suggested that it woud be a shame not visit Rhode Island since we would be passing within a few miles of the border. The girls were eager to add another state to their personal lists as well. Afraid that he would never hear the end of it if he didn’t concede, my husband agreed. So we took a short detour and crossed the state line. We happened to see a sign for Pulaski State Park and Recreation Area and decided that the opportunity to stretch our legs for a bit would be most welcome. Our visit to Rhode Island wasn’t long, but we can now say we’ve been there! My husband wants to visit all of the National Parks, and perhaps over time we’ll manage that, but my goal of visiting all of the States is likely to be completed first! Do you have travel goals, or do you just go where time and chance lead?
@skysnap (17489)
I have travel goals but not the funds :)
My funds definitely don't meet my desires, but we do the best we can...we've gotten really good at frugal travel.
@skysnap (17489)
@Platespinner yes SUV can help but not at all places. too long distance to go some of the times.
I am planning on traveling around the Midwest later this year.
Any specific sites you are planning to visit?
@Platespinner The SPAM Museum! Mayo Clinic. Ronald Reagan's birthplace. It's a lot of small stuff interesting to me. Nothing bit like Mount Rushmore which I have already seen.
@JohnRoberts I like the less well known places myself, I'm not big on crowds. Usually when we do National Parks we try to go in the off-season. That didn't work out so well with Acadia this time around...but at least we were able to camp out on the more remote side of the island where there weren't quite as many people.
@koopharper (6353)
I'm working on a cycling list of my own. Funniest thing is that I haven't done Nova Scotia yet. Planning to put the bike on the back of the van when I think of it and pedal around while my wife does the shopping.
I've cycled in Maine. And had more mechanical problems than I ever had at home. The chain popped off the back wheel and got jammed between the sprocket and the spokes. I sent the girls on ahead to finish the loop. Thankfully I was rescued by a couple of random strangers--I was not looking forward to carrying the back end of the bike around to the trailhead!
I remember going on vacation to Nova Scotia with my parents when I was young. I still remember how beautiful it was
@Marilynda1225 Lots of beautiful country up here.
@simone10 (22231)
• Louisville, Kentucky
There are a lot of places that I would love to visit some day. I'm not sure if it will ever happen but one can dream.
There are lots of places I want to visit that are way beyond our means at the moment. Usually we content ourselves with visiting the sights near home.
@simone10 (22231)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@Platespinner So do we. Lately neither of us have felt like doing any kind of road trip but hopefully we can in the future. I would love to be able to visit all the states.
I don't really travel very far from home. Just not interested I guess.
Most of my long-distance travel is to visit family, but I enjoy getting out and seeing other parts of this country that I live in, when I can.
I don't do much travelling now.
I imagine I will get to that point eventually. Juggling schedules right now is making family travel more and more difficult.
Does that mean you now have only three states to visit? I can still name all 50 US states, 48 English counties and 26 Irish counties. I haven't tried myself out on Canada for a while so I won't say I know them yet.
Only 3 states in the lower 48: Nevada (which I missed by mere miles on our Grand Canyon trip), Idaho and North Dakota. However the true total is 5 counting Hawaii and Alaska.
• Denmark
I can understand your wish to visit Rhode Island, even only for a short time. Once my mother and I were in Denmark. When we came to a ferry port, we decided to visit Sweden. It was just a ride of half an hour across the sound. Silly really. But I can say that I once was in Sweden!
I would have been content with just driving into Rhode Island and driving out again, just to say I had been there. Stopping for a few minutes at a public park meant I actually did something there as well!
I have a couple of places that I have on my bucket list to visit, but for the most part we do enjoy going where we can when the opportunity arises.
Most of our travel is local or to visit family, but were slowly working our way through the bucket lists!
I hope you achieve that goal before too long. I think I've visited most of the counties in England, but have never kept a record.
I hope to get to England one day, but that's a ways in the future yet!
@supervalon (1226)
• North Las Vegas, Nevada
What's better than a travelling couple exploring the world? Haha. Well i wanna visit the Chinese great wall, Egypt pyramids, and my greatest travelling desire as a kid was traveling in space.. Out of Earth.. Relaxed. It's great how technology can now provide that to us, but it's so expensive. I heard that a couple made a wedding in space, jumping in 0 gravity room would be so fun.
No international travel for me at the moment, it's too expensive. But hopefully some day!
@DeborahDiane (18033)
• Laguna Woods, California
When my husband and I were in our 20's, he was hired by a company to set up offices for them in all of the lower 48 states ... and I got to go with him. It was a wonderful experience for a young couple. We got to spend time in all of the states and even get to know people in them. Later, we went to Alaska and Hawaii, so we have now been to them all. I wish everyone had that opportunity and I think it is cool that you are encouraging your daughters to have their own "bucket list" of states they want to visit.
@mom210 (6202)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Yes, I am half way there and have the two hard ones, Hawaii & Alaska under my belt. My rules are, that I have to do something there or stay the night there in order to collect my shot glass as poof of having been there. Like, in Maine, I rode a train, New Hampshire I went to the old man on the mountain and rode a cable car up and down the hill.Good luck with getting the rest of your states in.
@epiffanie (8310)
What a lovely photo! You are lucky to be able to go places..
@rina110383 (24225)
No travel goals for now.
That's an ambitious goal. I'm glad you were able to cross Rhode Island off your list. Very nice picture.
@Lucky15 (33730)
I have plans..need the budget still ;)
so glad ya got that rhode island off yer list, lol. beautifully serene pic :) i used to've travel goals, so many places i wished to see. these days i'm puttin' more thought 'nto what's 'round me locally i've been purty much ignorin' fer years...
@Asylum (48358)
• Manchester, England
I doubt whether I will manage to visit each state. I currently have 50 left to complete the whole list.
Seeing all 50 states is on my bucket list but so far I've only managed to visit a handful of them. Maybe some day? Glad you were able to talk your husband into seeing Rhode Island on your trip so you could add it to your list