The Shock of Our Lives

My sister called me two days ago and said our cousin's 12-year-old daughter was in the hospital. She had overdosed on the antihistamine Benadryl. My sister informed me that our cousin's daughter had ingested the antihistamine Benadryl at a "pharm party," a term with which I was not familiar. Sis said a "pharm party" involves kids and teens raiding the medicine cabinets in their homes and bringing the over-the-counter (OTC) medications and prescription medications to the "pharm party" to share with others. Yesterday, this sweet 12-year-old child died due to Benadryl overdose. Our cousin lives a great distance from my siblings and me, but we will all gather together as one to support the family and pay for the funeral for this young relative of ours. Parents need to do a clean sweep of all over-the-counter (OTC) medications and prescription medications in their medicine cabinets and keep those medications under lock and key at all times. My brother, sister and I are still in shock. Nothing this horrific has happened in our family, and we are just numb.
I hate to hear story like this.I am so sorry there.
Thank you. It was such a shock to us all.
@Mike197602 (13501)
• Worcester, England
When I used to work at a homeless kids project they'd all pool their various medications and get wrecked. This one girl had a habit of snorting paracetamol for some reason Just because some medicine doesn't need a prescription doesn't mean it's not dangerous.
Yes, those over-the-counter medications can be deadly too.
@sugartoes (33847)
• Greencastle, Indiana
O MG I'm so sorry to hear this as well as for the families loss we can never think how something like this could happen to our loved ones & it just puts our minds in a numb state of mind to think how to deal with this. my prayers are going to you & the family
@cacay1 (32078)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Who is to blame sand why did she take too plentiful syrup?
Any child could become involved in a situation like this. So sad.
@cacay1 At this time, we have not questioned my cousin as to how this happened due to her inability to communicate due to her grief. I suppose she was following what her peers were doing at the time. None of the young ones knew the danger of what they were doing.
I am sooooo sorry to hear this devastating news. My deepest condolences.
@cacay1 (32078)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@SianneN, so shocking indeed, hard to accept.
Thank you for your kind words of comfort. Went to choose the flowers yesterday and that was so upsetting for me.
@Corbin5 I'm certain it was. You are welcome. I wish I could do something to help you.
I'm sorry for your loss, that is heartbreaking, prayers going out to you all.
So hard to lose a child no matter the cause. Thank you for your kind words of comfort.
Oh my! I'm so sorry for your loss. I just can't imagine the pain this caused all of you. My prayers are with you and your family on this tragic loss. I agree with you that parents need to keep all medications under lock and key.
Thank you for your kind words of comfort. I do hope parents protect their children by keeping all medications locked up.
@just4him No parent can catch all the signs. Kortney was a shining star, talented and straight A's. However, she put so much pressure on herself to perform. She wanted to be a doctor. Since depression runs in our family, we believe she was self-medicating to reduce the anxiety and possibly depression.
@Corbin5 It's such a shame. I agree, it is hard to catch all the signs.
@responsiveme (14385)
This is shocking news. Why do kids do this ?? I feel totally upset. My heartfelt sympathies .
I think peers of children encourage others to engage in this activity. Thank you for your kind words of comfort and sympathy.
@sallypup (20844)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I am sorry. Deeply sad for you and your family.
I am so sorry for the young girl, it seems that young people cannot understand what is dangerous and can put an end to their young lives.
Yes, their brains are not fully developed to make the right choices. Thank you for the comforting words.
@Corbin5 I suppose that we were the same when we were young, we could not perceive the danger.
@LadyDuck I have listened to many experts that state that the young brain is just not developed enough to realize the that harm will result.
what an awful thing to happen to all of you, I remember my brothers middle child doing something similar but that was in the early 2000s and he was not harmed but his girlfriend ended up in the hospital suffering seizures but she too survived. There has been so much in the news about kids doing stupid things when parents are not vigilant about watching them and in todays world it's so hard for working parents to watch them that closely.
The brains of children are just not mature enough to make the right decisions. I am so glad a child you knew survived.
You are so right about that @Corbin5 I'm glad he survived too because at that time he wasn't much older than your poor little cousin but he turned out to be a real con, crook and doper. I wish his parents had let him stay in prison but they thought when he was 17 that he would change if given a chance, it didn't work.
@rebelann I am saddened by the struggle with brother's child too. I just wish that parents had a sure-fire way to prevent this, but to date, nothing seems to be working for so many.
Hard to like a post like this. My condolences to your family. Kids these days are a crazy misguided bunch! Short of living their lives for them, there really isn't much that we can do. Common sense gets thrown out the window when peer pressure steps in. Again, so sorry for your loss.
Thank you for your kind words of comfort. Peer pressure is so powerful these days. And, with both parents working and not being home when the school day ends allows kids to be free to do things that are harmful.
That is so tragic. My sympathies and prayers to you and her loved ones.
@Corbin5 pretty frightening to think about.
@norcal (3272)
• Nevada City, California
@Corbin5 Tylenol (acetaminophen) overdoses are quite common. They often happen by accident. If you take just a little more than the correct dose, and do it repeatedly, it builds up in your system over time. Also, many cold medicines have it as an ingredient, so people double dose themselves without realizing it.
@norcal Such a sad state of affairs.
That is such a sad story. I'm so sorry. So many will be heart-broken by this news.
Yes, there are many of us, and we are all in shock over this loss.
@Corbin5 It is so difficult. How can families stop these things happening?
@JudyEv I do not know. I know my cousin and her husband are wonderful parents. I think peer pressure is the problem.
This is so sad but happens all too often. The family medicine chest can be much more lethal than the family liquor cabinet.
I do believe that peer pressure fulls incidents like this.
@Corbin5 I agree, peer pressure can be the biggest factor, which is often just about impossible for even the best parents to protect against.
@LindaCPearson I keep thinking that kids may bring the medications to school and pass them out.
@Butchcass4 (5784)
My sincerest and deepest condolences. This is so tragic. I'm so sorry this happened to you and your family. God bless you all during this most tragic time.
Thank you for your kind words of comfort.
@Corbin5 I lost my father more than 5yrs ago, so I do understand loss. But I know I will see him in heaven again. I KNOW because the Bible says in John 3:16 for God so loved the world that He gave His only Son that whoever BELIEVES in Him will have eternal life. Of course we must repent of our sins, thats a given. But every person has sinned and fall short of the glory of God thats why God sent His Son to pay for our sins when we ask forgiveness.
@Butchcass4 I did reply to my cousin's message that "Kortney is now in the arms of those who loved us on earth." We have to remember that we are not our parent's children, we are God's children and He decides when he wants us to come home to Him.
@ridingbet (36501)
that is sad. hre in my place, even the generic antibiotics should have prescriptions and cannot be bought OTC
Yes, so many medicines can be bought in stores and used by children who do not know the danger.
@ridingbet (36501)
@Corbin5 nasal decongestants should be sold with prescriptions. it can make one high.
@ridingbet I agree. Parents should also put them out of reach of children too.
@lilnana1111 (2462)
OMG, that is heartbreaking, I have never heard of a pharm party.
@Corbin5 shared your post on my fb page, I feel more parents need to know about this.
@lilnana1111 Thank you so much Audrey. The more parents that know about this, the more kids will be saved.
@Corbin5 That's what I'm hoping.
@HazySue (16686)
@Corbin5 that is awful. You and your family are in my prayers. I believe you are right, we all need to keep our medicine under lock and key. I am appalled that children are putting these things into their body without a thought to the danger of it.
I think peer pressure or want to belong to a group might fuel this behavior. Thank you for your kind words of comfort.
@HazySue (16686)
@Corbin5 peer pressure is an awful thing. I have seen many children do things that they know they should not because they want to belong. Her parents must be devastated.
@HazySue They are devastated. Out of their minds with grief. My brother, sister and I are providing all the support we can.
This is very saddening news of the tragic loss of a beautiful young life. One precious life need not perish for the others to learn a valuable and lasting lesson from. But a life just did. I share your and your family's grief deeply @Corbin5
Thank your for your kind words. Kortney was a shining star to her family. So talented and academically gifted, but she made a mistake. So sad.
@Corbin5 I'm a mother of several children. Everyday we think and pray for their safety and making wise choices and decisions. And love them. That's all my husband and I can do. My deep prayer for peace and comfort to Kortney's family and relatives.
@everwonderwhy Yes, we have only one child, our son, and I say prayers every morning to have the Lord bless him, keep him and give him peace.
@gofsey (1302)
• Madurai, India
I join with you in your prayers for the poor little soul that left for its heavenly abode so early. Really there is no blame only sorrow and makes everything worse for us who are left behind. My condolences to you all.
Thank you for your kind words of comfort. She is now in the arms of those who loved us here on earth. My mother is holding her now in heaven.
@gofsey (1302)
• Madurai, India
@Corbin5 Lucky Granny! I can imagine them smiling happily.