Long, overdue update on my friend

@CoralLevang (34463)
I could recap all that has been going on the last couple of weeks with my friend, who has been in neuro ICU for the past 43 days. Suffice it to say that it has been up and down many times. Many frustrations and disappointments, fears and tears. But amidst it all, continued hope for recovery, healing, and life. The case has been complicated, at the very least. There have been more tests, scans, procedures to try to find...anything that might explain what was going on. Nothing. Until another neurosurgical guru took another look and noticed the smallest of possibilities of a leak at the C2 vertebra, or the axis vertebra. It is the second-uppermost vertebrae making up the backbone at the top of the spine. The role of this part of the spine is what allows your head to rotate where the C1 vertebra attaches the skull to the neck. My friend was whisked into surgery a few days ago, to apply a glue to seal up the leak (as the blood patches did not do the trick) and all around the C2. The goal was to try to get him elevated again to see if this took care of it. It has been a long road over these 43 days and there are still things that must be dealt with as he begins the other road back to what life will offer, but I wanted to share the latest note that I received last hour from his sister: "(He) was sitting up in the recliner at 90 FREAKIN DEGREES for 1 1/2 HOURS!!!!!!!! Plan is to keep doing that and build his strength up. He took a 5 mg oxycodone and is napping now." I will see my "brother" tomorrow, so I will understand more by visiting with him and seeing how this has progressed. It has been two weeks since I have been able to get to the hospital to see him. It sounds like he is going to be in a much better state than other times in this past 6+weeks. Thank you for your continued healing thoughts, positive energy, and prayers to whomever you choose for a full recovery.
I do hope that they have solved the problem, and that he will recover fully. Good luck. When you see him tomorrow please tell him that a lot of strangers (myLotters) are wishing him well.
I hope that tomorrow you will find that he has progressed. I hope that the doctors have finally fixed the problem. Please transmit to your friend my best wishes to get well soon.
@bagarad (7657)
• Paso Robles, California
Coral, I'm sorry I haven't been here much to keep up with my friends. I'm sorry to hear this about your friend. I hope he will heal soon.
be strong =) cheer up
Good news that they finally found out what the issue was. And hope he continues to heal well.
i'm so relieved to hear this news! thank goodness that neuro guru found that'n repaired such quickly. wow! fer'n hour 'n a half?? that's great! hopefully now things're back'n track. let the healin' begin!
This is wonderful news. Thank goodness for the discovery of that leak. Amazing.