That hit close to my heart

@sallypup (21929)
Moses Lake, Washington
A bit ago I saw a report that a couple of people up in northern Minnesota were killed by a storm. I guess technically they were on the other side, in Canada. I looked at the photo of the little amphibious plane and felt like crying. Two people in a scout camp gone. Up in the Canoe Boundary country. I spent one crazy summer up there when I was just out of high school. I spent a week on one of the islands up there. I whined my way onto that little plane and there I was, camping, helping to clean up campsites by day, gulping stew made over a campfire in the evening. Loons echoed on the water all around us. The only way off that bit of land was either to go in a canoe, a ranger's boat or further, the plane. I am sorry those two souls did not make it out of paradise. I guess they wander in another paradise now.
@CRK109 (14351)
That's so sad and the fact that you have emotional ties to the area does make it even worse. The one consolation is that they are still together.
@sallypup (21929)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@CRK109 If I was Rockefeller I would like to go back up there. Deep deep water and me unable to swim! Good to hear from you.
@CRK109 (14351)
@sallypup I can't swim either, so I'd be a bit nervous! But every place I've traveled where I've really loved the area has always been around water!
@sallypup (21929)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@CRK109 I remember sitting in the middle of a canoe while a person in front and behind paddled us through that very deep water. I loved being so close to all the wildlife. I don't think we had life jackets, either.
Very sad to hear and, prayers going out to everyone they left behind.
@sallypup (21929)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@TRBRocks420 Thanks and good to hear from you.
that's both sad, for them, and a beautiful memory. I used to spend summers in northern Minnesota, I remember the loon's. lovely birds.
@sallypup (21929)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Jessicalynnt Lovely, lonely country. No See Um and huge horse flies in the summers. Tall, tall trees. One of our last wildernesses. I'm glad you got to spend time there.
• Rochester, New York
That's horrible that they were killed. How sad! I went to girl scout camp once and enjoyed it. I was even happier when it was time to go home!
@sallypup (21929)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@LisaSteinmetz Good to hear from you. I went for a 2 week camp when I was a kid, too. The first week I was in the infirmary with a kidney infection. Exciting times.
I'm sure that they do. It is funny how things strike us isn't it?
The way the world is they may truly be in a better place.
That is very sad for those two people but it must have been a wonderful experience for you at the time.
@Rohvannyn (3136)
That really does hit close to home. That area really is beautiful - I wish they hadn't gone out in the storm.