Feuding Teachers Need to Grow Up!

My husband calls my best-loved teaching colleagues my "schoolies." Now, one would think that teachers are professionals with impeccable character and a forgiving nature. However, two of these ladies whose friendships I cherish are lacking in the forgiving-nature character trait. Sabrina and Wendy had a falling out six years ago over something said at a meeting, and Sabrina and Wendy, to this very day, will not be seen in the same room with each other. Now, if I have a get-together at my home with my "schoolies," I can either invite Wendy, Diane, and Sue, or I can invite Sabrina, Diane and Sue. If I were to invite Diane, Sue, Wendy and Sabrina, then all hell would break loose. I was in attendance at the meeting held after school, but for the life of me, I cannot remember what comment caused the long-standing feud between Wendy and Sabrina. It is a shame that this infantile behavior on the part of these two professionals is still going strong after six years. I have two friends who really need to grow up! I would post a photo of my "schoolies," but I do not have one that shows all of us together. Morguefile free photo.
They probably can't even remember what caused the rift - as you say it seems silly to carry on a feud for so long.
Sure does make getting together a juggling act.
@Lucky15 (33751)
They have to grow.up ;(
@cacay1 (33002)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Lucky15, i also have a co teacher until this time after many years, she remains my enemy.Her sin to me is unpardonable.
@cacay1 There definitely are some offences, that are so grave, that they can rightly be termed as "sins". Not forgiving those people who have committed such sins, perhaps is the right thing to do. Forgiveness is a precious quality: not to be wasted on unworthy people.
@Lucky15 (33751)
@cacay1 aww. Why oh why
@acelawrites (11804)
They really need to grow up; or could someone in the school can act as a mediator to reconcile them?
Well, one is retired, and the other is still teaching. Silly ladies for sure!
wow this is very childish there.
It is a shame that some adults display infantile behavior.
@RubyHawk (26986)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I know people just like these two. Some people never grow up.
I expect better from them, but they are the ones who are making their lives so difficult due to the crazy dance trying to avoid each other.
@RubyHawk (26986)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Corbin5 Sometimes people will not give up grudges, but it's only hurting themselves.
@RubyHawk Yes, and I think it also hurts the friends who like both of them too.
Kind of childish from the two of them.
@cacay1 (33002)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Childish, immature, high pride.
Yes, six years of this?? Last time we got together, no Wendy. Jeeezzz!
@cacay1 Some teachers really do think to highly of themselves.
@garymarsh6 (14264)
OH dear and I guess some nasty things were said in the heat of the moment eh! Life is too short to bear grudges. They need to forgive and forget. I wonder are they church people????
Well, Sabrina is Muslim and I am her daughter's Christian godmother. Wendy is Catholic. They are religious, but that does not seem to help at all.
@garymarsh6 (14264)
@Corbin5 Well shame on both of them Wendy for not turning the other cheek and to forgive and for Sabrina who is supposed to be peaceful and not to hate anyone! So technically they are ignoring their faiths by not following the teachings of their holy book! ( Gawd I feel like those words have just come out of the mouth of the Archbishop of Canterbury)
@garymarsh6 Yes, Gary they are! Your words are perfect for this situation. I am too frightened to bring that up though, but someone needs to remind both of what teachings should be put in place regarding this situation. I am too frightened for that someone to be me.
there's many 'adults' out there who act the same, 'f all professions'n walks'f life. life's jest too short to hold such ill feelin's 'n i hope they don't regret not mendin' fences one day.
Yes, that feud does not enable us to all be together. So silly.
@sol_cee (15918)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
They'd better grow up before it's too late.
I agree! One needs all the friends they can get!
Oh darn, I was hoping that was a personal photo. I love the facial expression you chose. For some reason she reminds me of Molly and her stare. I agree, they need to reconcile this feud and have it done with. It is infantile of them.
When Molly comes to get me to give her the "full-body-massage" in the backyard at exactly 5:30 p.m., we make a list of all her friends. She has one, a Husky named Takani; that is it. I try to add to the list, but nope, just one friend. That photo is a Molly look for sure.
They can both really hold a grudge after that many years.
I am amazed at how long this has gone on.
@norcal (3215)
• Nevada City, California
Maybe you should invite them both. If all hell breaks loose it may be better than having it all jammed up.
I will have to gather courage to invite them both. One, Sabrina, the feisty one, will walk right out and go home.
@nanette64 (17711)
• Fairfield, Texas
Oh good grief @Corbin5 , kids would have been back together by now.
I know. A shame that so many opportunities for all of us to be together do not happen.
What happened did you invite one of them or neither?
When we get together, one has to not be invited. We go back and forth on that so that each person gets a chance to visit. This feud has been going on for 7 years and no solution in sight.
@Corbin5 i wonder Deborah if they remember what the feud was about in the first place. That is fair how you do it so everyone gets a chance.
@Hannihar Oh, they remember. I remember too. One of them chastised, jokingly, about something the other one did in front of our principal, and that was what started the whole thing. The offender apologized repeatedly, but the other one would not, and still won't, accept the apology.
Ego is one trait that bars us from both forgiving someone or from asking for forgiveness from someone. Both your "schoolies" need to open up; let their egos go; and make peace with each other. Overlooking years of friendship, over some remark made in a haste is pointless.
Friends are so necessary in life and just one statement that may have hurt another is not a good enough reason to abandon each other, in my opinion.
@Corbin5 Absolutely. Friends are meant to stay together; hurt each other; and get back together again, like nothing ever happened. That's friendship. Right?
@The_Bong_Woman Yes, you described friendship so well. Their feud also affects their friends.
@silvermist (20073)
@Corbin5 Yes,real childish behavior.They need to grow up.
There are some adults, I believe, who never mature.
@silvermist (20073)
@Corbin5 Any mediators willing to intervene and bring them together?
@silvermist Well, that could work. Finding the right mediator will be a big task.
• Pamplona, Spain
What a shame they cannot forget their differences even for a couple of hours. Makes you wonder what upset them in the first place? Maybe one day things will come together and they decide to call all that a day and become friends again.
I hope that some day we can all be together and not have to always leave one or the other out of what we have planned.
• Pamplona, Spain
@Corbin5 Hope it works out for you then. Just when things seem like they won´t something might happen to help the situation along and make it better.
@simone10 (21650)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I agree, they really need to grow up. They should sit down and talk it out. If that doesn't work, then they should at least be able to be in the same room together.
I know if I invited both, one or both would leave.
@simone10 (21650)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@Corbin5 That is just not right. Very immature and childish.
@sofssu (14449)
Its so sad that people fall on on such insignificant things. I say so because if it was significant enough you would remember it. Six years is a long time and take such grudges to the grave is really not worth it.. That is my take on this. Sad for you to not have all your friends together at your parties.
I think both are missing out on the good times we would have if all were together.
@sofssu (14449)
@Corbin5 Its such a shame isn't it .. to let these little misunderstanding take over our lives?
• Pleasant Hill, California
Sounds like a pain. Little comments can cause big problems.
Well, I do know that many teachers are not the most noble people. Some can be downright nasty.