Rapid-Fire Texting Due to Books!

My sister and I are avid readers. We have a steady stream of books going between our two homes on a regular basis. Most of our texts result in book-talk. Me: Make sure you read Homecoming first, then read Inside the O'Brien's Both are great! Homecoming has a sequel! Sis: Ya gotta read The Bookmaker's Daughter! Me: That reminds me, The Gravedigger's Daughter is fabulous! I have it here! Will drop off! Sis: A must-read is Beautiful Lies by Clare Clark!! Not done yet, but will give it to you when finished. Me: Thanks Sis. Loved reading The Light Between Oceans ! Sis: I need Murder in Little Egypt back. Friend wants to read it. Me: Done! Will drop it off tomorrow! Sis: When is book #20 of the Miss Julia series coming out? Me: Not sure. Hopefully very soon. That woman had better be writing it as we speak! Lucky us! Thanks Mom for reading to us every single day! "You may have tangible wealth untold; Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold. Richer than I you can never be -- I had a Mother who read to me." Strickland Gillilan Morguefile Free Photo
@Lucky15 (33427)
Reading had made a big difference on my life
Yes, we often can use what we have read to make our lives better.
Books are man's best friend. Other than the dog that is. You don't need to get up to put it out, but sometimes they do let you down - when you've come to the last page and there isn't any more. You were very fortunate to have a mother who read to you. My parents didn't read books and never read to us. It's a wonder I'm a reader and an author.
That love you have for reading was just something innate in you. Mom was a great role model since she always was reading when we went looking for her when we were little.
@Corbin5 I don't know what I'd do if I weren't reading or writing. It's great she was a great role model for you.
Reading has and still is a big thing with us, our children, and our grandchildren. We have our parents to thank, as well, for reading to us every night, even when we were were able to read on our own. My father and husband were the best at making up stories, too!
Yes, grandparents and parents are the role models for young readers. Kids who have a love of reading really do have an edge in school.
@Corbin5 That is the truth! I taught special ed, and many of the students' parents never opened a book and read to them. So sad.
• Portland, Connecticut
My daughter and I share books but we don't do book text.
Yes, having someone to share great reads with is pure joy.
• Preston, England
great way to share your book suggestions
As sisters, we have the same taste in reading, and if she loves one, so will I. Even though we are 6 years apart in age, we often show up wearing the same outfit. We have the same hand gestures when talking, and we send emails at the exact same time regarding the same subject. Kind of weird, but rather cool too.
• Preston, England
@Corbin5 great that you have such a close bond together
@Corbin5 you're like twins but 6 years apart
@koopharper (6289)
"Better be writing it as we speak" No pressure on us authors please. We're doing our best. We love to write but are still human.
• Midland, Michigan
Good point, John.
Oh, a little pressure is good for the mind. We love her books, as do many, so I bet she is writing as I write this.
that's lovely that you keep each other up om the books you have read and even share some when you liked them I will have to find some of those as they sound so good.
Yes, if Sis loves a book, then I also love it. So glad we both have the same tastes in books.
@Corbin5 that's really nice foryou both
• Midland, Michigan
It's good to share a love of reading with family. When I was in school, my mom took us, kids, there are six of us to the library every two weeks during one summer. Eventually, only my sister and I got books, but we used the allotted amount for the rest of the kids and shared the titles between us. Ever since then I've been an avid reader except for the past few years. Now that I'm working full-time and a second job, I just don't have the time to keep a book going these days, but I'm sure I'll get back into it easily once I retire.
Oh yes, when you retire, you can read to your heart's delight. I live in the town in which I was raised, and like your mom, my mom would take me to this house full of books which actually was our town library. Our town library now is majestic. Mom would have loved it.
• Midland, Michigan
@Corbin5 After that first year, my mom had second thoughts about getting us reading as we weren't wanting to do our chores as quickly anymore. lol.
@silvermist (19887)
@Corbin5 Thanks for this post.We used to talk on phone and when we saw each other almost like this.And on the quote about ''Mother who read to me''--this is a quote I have always loved.May be because I had a mother who introduced me to reading and so many stories.
My Dad and Gramma both taught me the joy of reading. I can remember on the long winter afternoons, my Dad would settle down in his recliner and read for hours, and seem so happy after he'd read, I knew at a young age that it was a good thing. I had a librarian who was the best reader in the world, she made you WANT to read on your own, which I have always enjoyed doing. We used to read to our children before they were born. And our son reads a lot still to this day.
You had so many wonderful role models that encouraged the development of your love of reading. How fortunate for us and our children too.
I come from a family who each possess too many books. I love reading and seeing other people read.
Reading does seem to run in families. A good thing for us.
Those do sound like really good books. Haven't read one in a while. Now it's mostly magazines.
I am able to read more now due to being retired. A nice perk of retirement.
how fortunate that'cha both share that passion. i fear i'd be pickin' 'p the phone 'n actually talkin' to the sis, but i reckon that aint done much these days??
Well, Sis commutes by train to the city of Chicago each day to work, so she is busy and I am retired. She texts me while riding the train. Now, when Sis retires, we can have those face-to-face discussions.
@Corbin5 that's wonderful that y'all can do such. i fear i'm text illiterate...'s my neighbor found out earlier today :)
@crazyhorseladycx I have to use a stylus to text since I mess up when I try and type with my fingers. I stink at texting and it takes me forever to type one single word.
@RubyHawk (21762)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I've read some of the books you mention. Did you read "Girl on the Train" I love the Miss Julia series. Would love to find a new one.
I wondered why Sis and I made so many connections when reading the Miss Julia books. Research revealed that my grandmother's family settled in North Carolina in the 1700s, so that explains where all the sayings and teachings in the Miss Julia books, that I had witnessed in my beyond-proper grandmother, originated. Sis and I have read all the Miss Julia books and are waiting for the next one to come out. I saw that some myLotter's are reading "Girl on the Train," and I put that one on my list.
@RubyHawk (21762)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Corbin5 Probably the reason I liked the Miss Julia books is because I live in the south and recognized the attitude and language. it was just like home. If she doesn't hurry and write another one, I might start the series all over again.
@RubyHawk Me too. When I saw in one of her books what our grandmother used to say to us, it freaked me out. Grandma always said, "Debbie, Debbie, strong and able, keep your elbows off the table." That saying was in one of the books, and I knew I had to find from where that one came.
@velvet53 (16145)
• Palisade, Colorado
I used to read a lot than got busy with other things. I am now making time just before bed to read some. I have always enjoyed reading but never had anyone around to share the stories with. I like what you and your sister are doing.
Yes, the reading is so much more fun when you can share a good read with someone.
@velvet53 (16145)
• Palisade, Colorado
@Corbin5 I agree. I was just reading some when I noticed that I had responses to attend to.
I read to my children literally every day since I brought them home from the hospital. My daughter loves books as much at 12 as I did at her age...or more them I did. I have only read 12 or 13 books so far this year. I am way behind my usual amount. Its so nice you and your sister both love reading and share that interest by trading books and talking about them.
It is a wonderful thing that your daughter loves books just like Mom. A parent really does instill the love of reading in a child.
@Corbin5 My sister loved sitting and being read to when she was little. I didn't. She liked to read on her own until she was teenage. I hated reading until about 4th grade when I had to do a book report. Since then I have had a huge love of reading. I hope my daughter will always love reading.
@sueznewz2 (9720)
• Alicante, Spain
I know what you mean... I'm not a great reader.. but my friend and I are a bit like that with films and tv dramas....
Yes, if we get to share a passion with someone, all the better.
@sueznewz2 (9720)
• Alicante, Spain
@Corbin5 very true ...
@cacay1 (32536)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
Reading market a man wise.
Such a gift reading is to humans.
I was an avid reader, but now my eyes get tired easily.
My mom eventually had a problem reading later in her life. I know she missed reading so much.
@acelawrites (10933)
Good thing you have so much time for reading books. It's the thing I failed to do for so long for lack of time.
Well, I was a reading teacher for struggling readers the last 9 years I taught, and that job was my dream job. I taught special education students and 1st, 4th and 5th grades, but the reading-teacher job was heaven for me. Now that I am retired, I can read even more books.