Are you a fan of ceiling fans?

Ceiling fan photo by Pat Z Anthony
@PatZAnthony (11730)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Some of us can really live without too much air conditioning if we have ceiling fans that work well. Why wouldn't a ceiling fan work well? Not sure, but some of our friends have complained theirs don't always work as expected, so they use air conditioning 24/7. We are fortunate enough to have ceiling fans in every room, even though this is an OLD house. We installed everything ourselves when giving this place a face lift. When the temperature is over 100, no one would really want to just have ceiling fans, but in reality, could survive. The ceiling fans seem to be a great blessing and we are forever thankful that these were invented. Phew! Time for a little air conditioning soon-it is close to 100 right now!
• Preston, England
they tend to be distracting, and make me think a WW2 fighter plane has come through the ceiling
@PatZAnthony (11730)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Now, that is funny!
@vandana7 (57187)
Now...that is an interesting take..lol.
@Lucky15 (33713)
We have fans and.acs...maybe prefer to have ceiling to lessen the bill
@PatZAnthony (11730)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Oh, yes! That bill-no one want to even look at it these days.
@Lucky15 (33713)
@PatZAnthony like a scary piece
• Eugene, Oregon
We have one, but forget to turn it on often. Thanks for the reminder.
@louievill (16208)
Ceiling fans or electric fans as a whole compliments air-conditioning in a home, they also use up less energy.
We have the in every room - but I can honestly say I've never turned on one of them. I always feel like they are coming down on my head. If this house had higher ceilings I might feel differently. I prefer A/C and since we have cheap electric I'm fine with that. We do have 6 ceiling fans outside that we use quite a bit especially this summer.
@PatZAnthony (11730)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Cheap electricity is always nice! Most fans can be reversed so the air is moving, but you won't feel it 'touch' you. Some really hate the feeling or air moving-
@PatZAnthony Most of the fans are directly above where my head is/would be and that gives me the creeps.
@wiLLmaH (8167)
• Singapore, Singapore
I am more like of stand fan than ceiling fans. hehe. Because I saw in some horror movies that the ceiling fan sometimes got loose and cut off the head of the people. hehe.
@PatZAnthony (11730)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Oh, no! That would be awful.
@wiLLmaH (8167)
• Singapore, Singapore
@PatZAnthony Yep! That is the reason that even we have a ceiling fan, I prefer to turn on the stand fan.. hehe.
We do not have ceiling fans, just central air and a few table fans.
@PatZAnthony (11730)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Table fans work too! Anything to get that air moving.
@lilnana1111 (2462)
Yes, I like my ceiling fans, in the summer they are going constantly.
@PatZAnthony (11730)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
We never seem to have ours off these days.
i love ceilin' fans fer both winter 'n summer. i imagine that those who say they aint workin' ferget to switch which direction they're blowin' :) a common problem't seems.
@PatZAnthony (11730)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
We use ours all year round too.
We have a fan in every room and turn it on when we go in that room. We only turn the AC on for an hour on the hottest hour.
@PatZAnthony (11730)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
This is a good way to cut back on the cost of utilities!
Our fans have a little switch on them which we have to change with the seasons. In the winter the blades are angled to bring warm air down into the room while in the summer the reverse happens. We find fans very effective.
We do not have air conditioning, the ceiling fans are enough for the Swiss summers.
@PatZAnthony (11730)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Wow-can't imagine weather that nice!
@PatZAnthony We have some hot days, but never more than 3 to 5 in a row. Yesterday was hot and unpleasant but a thunderstorm during the night has refreshed the air.
@JESSY3236 (4885)
I used to use the ceiling fan in the living room. I can't use the one in my room because I hate to have fans blowing in my face,
@PatZAnthony (11730)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
These can be reversed in most cases so the air is going up toward the ceiling.
@mom210 (5800)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Oh yes, I love my ceiling fans, we have them in all the bedrooms, living room and family room. They do help a lot and we use them year round, just change direction in the winter. They do help survive the summer but are not nearly as good as the A/C. We currently do not have A/C but we survived last year and are surviving this year without it. Hubby only has a part time job and we need a completely new system, so a new system is on the back burner. We can keep it about 9 degrees below whatever it is outside by using the attic fan at night and closing up all windows when he in/out temps meet. It works well.
@PatZAnthony (11730)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Our-replacing one is so expensive-your should do a 'go fund me' or something!
I have one in my bedroom and it helps keep the air circulating and the room cool enough at night to sleep
@LoriAMoore (9663)
Yes, we have ceiling fans in every room as well.
@PainsOnSlate (19021)
Its been horribly hot this summer, I slept with the air from a ceiling fan, it was wonderful at night when the air is shut off... My sister kept the ceiling fans running with the air conditioner at a higher temp. It made a miserable day acceptable.
@PatZAnthony (11730)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
The summer has been muggy and hot here this year and the fans do make it better for us.
@PatZAnthony This summer has been awful everywhere. Today is supposed to be the hottest day of the summer here in Ontario.
since I read about a ceiling fan that came down anc injured people sitting beneath it I have been leery of any ones that I had not seen installed properly so that they could not tear lose from the ceiling and hurt people.
• Midland, Michigan
I have a ceiling fan over my computer table and enjoy it periodically when it’s really still in here. We don’t have air and it would be nice to have one in every room. We’d hoped to have it in the bedroom eventually, but now we have extra insulation in the attic, and I think if anyone were to install one for us they could accidentally fall through the ceiling since they can’t see where the joists are anymore.
@vandana7 (57187)
We have to use ceiling fans. I am from tropics. In our summers (which end around the second week of June actually), temperatures touch almost 45 degrees Celsius. We need both air conditioners and ceiling fans ..air conditioner for cooling the room, and ceiling fan for keeping that sweat away. lol. Thereafter, (Your summers), we have humidity to trouble us...and then mosquitoes...Dengue, malaria...no way...ceiling fan is the best gift to be given... Why their fans don't work? The gap between the ceiling and the blade matters as do the number of blades, material and shape of the blade, apart from motors. One factor too many but the one in my room may be well over 20 years old, and while it is not the best, it is still functional.