Stone Surfboard Laguna Beach Park Bench

Laguna Woods, California
The other day I shared a photo of a Laguna Beach bench in the shape of a nautilus. It was just one of the interesting benches the dot the town. Throughout Laguna Beach, there are a few places where actual surfboards have been turned into park benches. However, I also love this molded concrete bench in the shape of a surfboard ... with polished glass inserts that look like gems. As much as possible, everything in this town has been turned into a work of art. It seems as if everything I look at makes me smile.
• Eugene, Oregon
I am certainly glad that Laguna Beach has become the artsy town which showed promise way back about 1960.
They sure do. They make a fortune off their Sawdust Festival and Festival of the Arts (where works of art are depicted with live folks). So smart of them.
• Eugene, Oregon
@ElizabethWallace I went to that Festival of Arts a few times, pretty interesting with the live people.
@JamesHxstatic Yes, it sure is impressive, but the area is too hot most of the time for me to have much fun.
That is a clever idea. The polished glass is a good touch.
• Laguna Woods, California
@JohnRoberts - The park benches that are scattered throughout the town are nearly all unique. I love to sit in them ... for no reason at all.
I'm sure it does. It makes me smile to see all this beautiful art, including that surfboard bench.
• Laguna Woods, California
@just4him - I love the fact that even utilitarian items, like park benches, have been turned into works of art in Laguna Beach!
@DeborahDiane I agree, they are beautiful.
I love the idea of surfboards turned into benches (how appropriate!). And that concrete/gem one is pretty artsy too - I'd take a couple of those for our yard . We still have to make it to the Sawdust and Pageant of Masters Fests sometime!!
• Laguna Woods, California
@much2say - Yes, I would love to have a couple of these benches in my backyard, too. The Sawdust Festival and Pageant of the the Masters are wonderful. Hope you make it one of these years.
@MarymargII (8713)
• Toronto, Ontario
What a cool facet of the town at Laguna Beach- it just keeps getting more fun! Glad you are staying within the borders of this quaint spot during your move!
• Laguna Woods, California
@Marymargll - I'm glad that I will still be living in the same community, too. I have been packing all week, but this morning I took a break and walked at the beach with a friend. It was wonderful!
• Toronto, Ontario
@DeborahDiane Living by the ocean is a gift- and I'm so glad you are staying in that neat-sounding town- The ocean is therapeutic so you'll be a DVN reporter for a long while yet-!
• Laguna Woods, California
@MarymargII - I agree that living by the ocean is a gift. Most of my life I lived inland, so I really appreciate living near the water in my "Golden Years." I am planning to be a DVN reporter as long as I can!
aw to be blessed with such whimsy :) i'd be smilin' myself 'n snappin' 'way, lol.
• Laguna Woods, California
@crazyhorseladycx - This town by the ocean does make me smile. I always feel so happy when I have spent a couple of hours walking by the water.
@DeborahDiane i'd love to see't, hon. with yer guidance'f course coz otherwise i'd be lost fer months, lol. perhaps one day...
• Laguna Woods, California
@crazyhorseladycx - Who knows?! Life could bring you to the West Coast one of these days!
The bench does look like it is a surf board. That is really cool.
• Laguna Woods, California
@Hannihar - It is a fun bench to sit on ... and it has an ocean view!
@DeborahDiane What a very clever idea. I wonder if he did it that way on purpose.
• Laguna Woods, California
@Hannihar - Oh, yes! I am sure it was done on purpose.
Laguna Beach fully embraces it's reputation of being an artist's colony. All communities should pick an identity.
• Laguna Woods, California
@ElizabethWallace - It never ceases to amaze me how different Laguna Beach is from it's equally expensive but much more snobby neighbor, Newport Beach. Hard to believe they are right next door to each other!
@DeborahDiane It is hard to believe that Newport Beach is even part of SoCal. It would fit better up near San Francisco.
• Laguna Woods, California
@ElizabethWallace - Newport Beach is quite different from Laguna, that's for sure.
@PainsOnSlate (19771)
That is so creative, what a great idea for your area.
• Laguna Woods, California
@PainsOnSlate - These benches add a lot of charm to our town. They are a lot of fun!
@DeborahDiane I re3ally like the idea, very cool.
Your title had me thinking in a totally different direction!
• Laguna Woods, California
Ha Ha! I looked back at my title and realized that it could be interpreted in other ways than I meant! LOL
what a beautiful place to be!
• Laguna Woods, California
@jillybean1222 - I enjoy living on the edge of Laguna Beach. It is so refreshing to be able to spend time walking on the beach several times a week!
I love the idea to show works of art around the town. This bench is beautiful.
• Laguna Woods, California
@LadyDuck - The city of Laguna Beach is very proud of its public art!
@marsha32 (6770)
It's cool looking. Doesn't look too comfortable though as it seems the gems are not flat to the surface LOL
• Laguna Woods, California
@marsha32 - You are right that it doesn't look too comfortable. I will have to sit in different spots on it and see what I think! LOL
Cool bench. Makes me want to sit on it.
• Laguna Woods, California
@DianneN - Sometimes I am tempted to sit on a bench for a few minutes, just because I think they are so cute!!
@Vivenda (589)
• Portsmouth, England
What a lovely idea! The benches in Portsmouth and Southsea are very boring in shape, but most of them are "in memory" of someone, and some of the inscriptions are interesting.
• Laguna Woods, California
@Vivenda - We have a few interesting benches with "in memory" on some of them. I always read the inscriptions because, I agree, some of them can be interesting.
@shshiju (9817)
• Cochin, India
Your Laguna beach is very beautifully decorated with many art things. I think its a quite comfort place to enjoy.
• Laguna Woods, California
@shshiju - Yes, it is a very comfortable place to enjoy.
Another lovely bench. I remember seeing the one of the nautilus shell. What innovative authorities to make everything possible a work of art.
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - The town also has large banners hanging along the main streets ... and each one is also a work of art!
I think that is really neat that everything has been turned into a work of art.
• Laguna Woods, California
@jstory07 - It is one of the reasons I love living here. Just going for a walk makes me smile!
You are blessed to have such artistic scenery to look at
@RubyHawk (21147)
• Atlanta, Georgia
It looks to be a beautiful place, Glad you are enjoying it.