What's in the Water?

@UncleJoe (9469)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
When I was a teen the sport of surfing had just hit Virginia Beach. I fell in love with it immediately, and for good reason. It wasn’t that I wanted to be a champion surfer but, back in those days, if a guy didn’t have a surfboard it wasn’t likely for him to have a girlfriend either. Get it? Nevertheless, in those days, (over 60 years ago), the Atlantic Ocean appeared to be so clean and pristine. Swimming it was considered to be one of the healthiest things anybody could do. We were even allowed to swim with the dolphins back then. It’s against the law to do that today, however, swimming with sharks is still legal if anybody wants to try it. Recent local news warns beachgoers to stay out of the water lest they be eaten. However, that has nothing to do with sharks. What started in the Gulf of Mexico and rode the Gulf Stream to our neck of the woods is a minute flesh-eating bacteria. In recent weeks 4 cases have been reported in the Virginia Beach Hampton Roads area. This bacteria enters the body through even the smallest cut or abrasion and immediately begins destroying tissue. A few weeks ago it was reported that a man from Galveston, Texas took his family to the beach for a Sunday afternoon outing. The following Thursday his right leg had to be amputated just below the knee. To add to the problem, there have been reports of multiple cases where children have contracted Impetigo from the waters of the Chesapeake Bay. Who knows what other pollutants are in them. Unfortunately, local merchants and innkeepers prefer to keep this information under wraps because it would devastate their businesses. Money is more valuable than human life. If you plan to vacation at any American beaches this Summer, be sure to ask yourself one pivotal question. Is it worth the risk?
@hostessman (8894)
• Tucson, Arizona
i liked the part of having a board and getting the girls......
Too many centuries of human refuse dumped into the oceans. I am not a go into the water person anyway (I learned a valuable lesson from Jaws!).
@Katlynn (377)
It's very scary and sad to think something that brings such pleasure can be so harmful.
Oh my goodness, this is scary, I have read about flesh-eating bacteria and it seems that the road to recovery is very long and not sure.
yeah that stuff terrifies me, not swimming in anything but a pool this year if at all
@Platespinner (16533)
I've already done my beach bit for the summer...scary stuff!
@Teep11 (6937)
Can only imagine why they'll want such information on the hush hush That's unfortunate for swimmers. Any cuts or openings of the skin can be deadly when the bacteria enters through the opening.
Oh goodness that is scary. Definitely not worth the risk.
Definitely not worth the risk to me. I would much rather find a pool to swim in-at least I can see what's in them!
this is on going story here.Also the wells ,tap water.Getting scary
Not worth the risk to me. We always have warnings regarding bacteria of some sort in Lake Michigan. Nice beaches around Lake Michigan, but dangerous water.