Empty Nesting

@clrumfelt (5426)
My son graduated college and got a job in June. Now he lives 90 miles away and I keep thinking he will come home for the weekend like he did when in college but of course he has his own stuff going on now. This was my last baby to leave the nest and even though he was only here on weekends while he was in college, the house just seems emptier and quieter now.
Yes, that empty house takes getting used to. Our son, our only child, rarely came home on weekends from college since he was several hours away. He is now married and lives 10 minutes from our home, but with work and all, we do not see him as often as we'd like. It is nice having him close to home, though.
@clrumfelt (5426)
I'm hoping we can get all three of them home at least for Thanksgiving and Christmas. My other son is in the USMC and my daughter in the USAF.
@clrumfelt Oh my! Please thank your daughter and son for their service. I do hope all can be together during the holidays.
@clrumfelt (5426)
@Corbin5 Thank you. My son is in Bahrain right now. We are all hopeful he will be back by the holidays. My daughter is stationed in AZ.
It sure is something to get used to. We are well used to it now and enjoy the freedom.
@responsiveme (17990)
i am an empty nester too, though younger boy had his holidays recently so saw him then.
@RubyHawk (30532)
• Atlanta, Georgia
It takes awhile to get used to an empty nest. Mine left some time ago and my nest still feels empty.
• Hangzhou, China
I have the same feeling as you do. I have two sons. My elder son is now married after graduating from college. Now they work and live in a faraway city from us. Now it is not easy for us to be together with each other except when we enjoy our summer holidays and winter holidays. Glad that we have a baby son nearly nine years old. Otherwise we parents would feel lonesome.