Do not force your children.

Nice day,
Roseburg, Oregon
There are some parents who want to relive their childhood by having their children do things that they wanted to do. What about what your child wants to do. Why would you force your children to do what you want them to do. Your children are individuals and they have different tastes than you do. So let them live their own lives. Let them decide what they want to do. If they want self defense classes. Than let them take them. If they do not want to do that. Than do not force them to. Children are only going to do good in the things that they want to do.
That's why my kids are excited about Home School this year because we are going to do different unit studies that suits all of their interests. One of my daughter's picked candle making. My son picked Roller Coaster Engineering. And my other daughter wants to do a make up unit study. =) I let them each pick what they are interested in-not what I want at all.
You are doing good with the home schooling and you care about what your kids want to learn. All of that is good.
@jstory07 I really want them to enjoy learning-if they weren't interested in what we are learning their not going to learn much from it.
@Genipher (4657)
@lovingmybabies My daughter is currently trying to learn computer coding. She wants to learn how to design video games. They're also wanting to learn "survival" stuff...like how to build a fire, make a shelter, find edible wild foods. So I thought we'd do that together. But for the most part we haven't really come up with study themes. They just do the math or grammar that's set before them. What you're doing--or, rather, your kids!--sounds pretty cool!!
Very wise words for all parents. My dad was so into sports; my brother into reading and music. Dad was too hard on our brother, and my dad rarely hears from him. Dad reaped what he sowed.
In the end your Dad loss his son. Through his own actions.
@sol_cee (11387)
• Japan
I always wanted to be a cashier but if my kids don't like staying near a cash register, I won't force them at all.
That is good allow them to make their own decisions.
@sol_cee (11387)
• Japan
@jstory07 Certainly.
@Genipher (4657)
What made you want to be a cashier? Sometimes I feel sorry for the check-out clerks. Do their hands get sore or tired, ringing up so many groceries throughout the day?
@AutumnSnow (4625)
I completely agree. If they do end up liking something that I do or have done and they want to do it that's fine. But I want them to figure out what it is they want to do on their own.
That is the way that parents should be.
My only loving and beautiful daughter wanted to eat all pork or chicken every eating time. In her younger years, I had to force her to eat vegetables and fruits. In her growing years, she wants to watch television all day during sundays instead of going to Church. I had to force her to give priority to God. There were times that she wanted to play games until the late nights. I had to force her to sleep early. I was glad that I forced her to do so. Today, she happily tell me she was glad that I forced her to do things she doesn't like at first, for her own good. I know that we don't need to force our kids to do what we want, but there are areas we need to force them to learn, especially in their growing years. "Train up a child in the way he should go.." says Proverbs.
@Genipher (4657)
Not all "force" is bad!
@skysnap (17581)
I think sometimes parent need to step in. TV is affecting negatively. So parents sometimes need to step and tell what is wrong and what is not.
Plus parents need to tell their children what is real and what is not.
• Calgary, Alberta
The reason why I runaway at age 17. I can't take it anymore.
You are doing good now you can make money with your dance steps. My friend ran away at fiveteen to get away from a bad home life and my family helped her. She was very happy afterwards she got married to a man in the Navy.
• New Delhi, India
there are some parents who forces their children but not all the parents...... parents are the perfect guide for their children.... they never want bad for their children.... sometimes they give advice to their children... but nowadays children think they are rude...........
I have seen some really rude children that tell their parents what to do.
Some parents think that they have more experience and therefore they don't want their children to have setback. They want to direct them a right way. As time goes by, I think today most parents are open-minded. They will accept their children's choices. If they don't like their children's choices, they wil give them advice and hopefully persuade them to changethe mind. If not, they will let it be and offer their children help when they are in trouble.
@Genipher (4657)
My mom made me graduate high school--I wanted to drop out and just get my GED. And then, because she never had a graduation party, she forced that on me as well. But besides the gallbladder attack I had that night, it was all worth it. The aunts and uncles gave me looots of moola. So there ARE perks to graduating, after all! Love you mom....!
@dodo19 (25765)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
Very true. They are their own people. If we force them to relive our own childhoods, they may just end up resenting us. It's not something I want. I may have some similarities with them, but they are still their own people. My kids are still different from me. As parents, I don't think it's fair to them to force them to have the same lives as us.
@magallon (16467)
That's right. Children are children. They do not know how to do the things that adults do. Let them become children first.
This is so true. Too many parents push their children instead of waiting to see what they are interested in. I feel sorry for these kids. Kids will do well in things that their parents make them do only for their parents, not for themselves.
@zarlamain (23411)
I don't have children, but you are right. No need to force them.
@Mike197602 (13176)
• Worcester, England
I've watched a few shows about pushy parents getting their kids to do what, for some reason, they were never able to. Always felt sorry for the kids and wanted to give the parents a shake
Good advice my friend I agree.