Ice Bucket Challenge Yields Positive Results!

@moffittjc (31696)
Gainesville, Florida
Many of you remember (and may have participated in) the Ice Bucket Challenge that swept the world by storm back in 2014. Millions of people filmed or photographed themselves dumping buckets of ice and cold water over their heads, all to raise awareness and funding for ALS (a progressive neurodegenerative disease). Many thought it was a great publicity stunt, but few thought it would actually yield tangible results. However, the Ice Bucket Challenge has raised over $115 million dollars, and has funded six major research projects for ALS, including one that recently discovered the gene responsible for ALS. The identification of the gene now means that researchers can work toward developing a new gene therapy to treat it. According to the BBC, more than 17 million people/groups uploaded Ice Bucket Challenge videos to Facebook, which were then viewed by an estimated 440 million people worldwide. Now that's the power of social media to enact good in this world! Did you ever do the Ice Bucket Challenge, or donate to the ALS?
The ice buckert challege was a good way to raise awareness and it really worked. the internet is a good way to get the word out.
@moffittjc (31696)
• Gainesville, Florida
Based on the publicity the Ice Bucket Challenge is getting now that it has shown positive results, it will be very interesting to see what other fun "challenges" will start popping up on social media now for other worthy causes.
@miniam (9309)
• Bern, Switzerland
@moffittjc Did you take part on the ice water challange?
@moffittjc (31696)
• Gainesville, Florida
@miniam Yes, I did it twice. Once as part of a large group, and once as an individual.
@miniam (9309)
• Bern, Switzerland
Yeah, saw it on the news yesterday.I remember when they were doing the ice thing, not with me, my heart could have stopped beating.
@moffittjc (31696)
• Gainesville, Florida
I think my heart skipped a few beats when that ice cold water was dumped over my head! And I did it in the middle of summer when it was miserably hot out, and that ice water still felt too cold for comfort!
@miniam (9309)
• Bern, Switzerland
@moffittjc Nomatter how good the intentions, l could not do it
@moffittjc (31696)
• Gainesville, Florida
@miniam Maybe somebody will come up with a warm water bucket challenge! Would that work for you?
@skysnap (17586)
I think it has served its purpose. But honestly I think it was later just made fun of the concept.
@moffittjc (31696)
• Gainesville, Florida
But now that it has been proven successful, you are going to see lots more of these types of "challenges" pop up on social media!
@skysnap (17586)
@moffittjc yes viral stuff does works for sure.
@moffittjc (31696)
• Gainesville, Florida
@skysnap It can work well for both positive and negative. Unfortunately, we see too much of the negative stuff and not enough of the good stuff! But it was nice to see in this instance that social media worked for the good of mankind!
I have never done the Ice Bucket Challenge, but do have three different charities to which I donate.
@moffittjc (31696)
• Gainesville, Florida
I did the Ice Bucket Challenge twice...once in a large group at a conference I attended, and once as an individual. Both times included a small donation (sometimes I wish I could give more, but every little bit helps!).
@moffittjc Yes, I stick to the three worthwhile charities because I can only afford to donate to three.
@moffittjc (31696)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Corbin5 It's probably best to stick just to a few that you've had time to research thoroughly so that you know they are legit and using your donations wisely and efficiently.
@Platespinner (16588)
We've donated to ALS research, but not because of the ice bucket challenge, rather because we knew someone who struggled with the disease.
@moffittjc (31696)
• Gainesville, Florida
I never knew anyone who had ALS, but I do believe in donating to a worthy cause, and this one seems to be a very worthy cause.
@velvet53 (14580)
• Palisade, Colorado
My oldest son did the Ice Bucket Challenge. It was hillarious. My youngest son got on top of the 5th wheel nd Carl had no idea when the ice was going to be dropped. My grandkids had so much fun that day. Actually, we all did.