Odd Ball Neighbor

@RubyHawk (21698)
Atlanta, Georgia
How many of you have a neighbor you would like to be rid of? Quiet a few I imagine. I have no idea how our overhead neighbor makes such odd noises. They will make you almost jump out of your skin, even in the day time. At night you just want to go up and wring his neck. Sometimes it sounds as if he picks up heavy weights and lets them drop. Other times it sounds as if he pours out a trunk of heavy metal tools. I can't figure out what the heck the guy is doing up there. When he gets too bad at night, I beat on our ceiling with the broom handle. That usually quietens him down. I feel sorry for him. When it first started I went up to talk to him and he gave me a hard luck story, which I believe is true, but he didn't explain all the noise that comes from his apartment. From what he told me I gathered that he has mental problems and he's trying to make a life for himself. The only recourse we have is calling the police and I don't want him thrown out, all I want is peace and quiet. What would you do?
I lived quite a few places where people made noise over my head. I dealt with it the best I could and then reported it. I never forget one lady who kept acting like she did not know english. I would go to her and she not open the darn door to talk to me. She bought her daughter a ride on toy and let her ride it over my head. I went up there and bangged all over her door. I told her I was going to beat fire out of her if she did not get that child off that toy. She called the owner and he called me so upset.. And man I told him to get his azz over here now and talk to them or I would call the police. when that man came to talk to me and came in and heard what I had to deal with he was oh so upset. he ran up those steps and all I could hear was him going off. He told her if she wanted to stay she needed to put down wall to wall carpet. He came down an was very nice to me. Telling me that he was sorry and everything. I was fine with that and told him she has people living up there stomping in high heeled shoes. well she had to take them off as she entered the house. They would do anything to not face me going in and out the house. Now where I live I can't hear but a pin drop every now and then. I never want to move.
@RubyHawk (21698)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Our management wont do anything. We must call the police on two different occasions and then management can put him out.l don't want to do that to the poor guy, I feel sorry for him. he's having a hard time. I thought management would go talk to him, but no, they wont. What I've decided to do is put up with in the day, and when he does it at night, I'll get my broom and beat on the ceiling. We've lived here 14 years and we really don't want to move.
@RubyHawk That is good that you can put up with it. I could not. You want to know something this lady below me would turn her music on so loud you could not hear yourself think in my house above her. I called the cops and they were writing me up. Thinking the music was coming form my house. When they heard it was from below me they could not believe it. They wrote her a big ticket. she ran up those steps yelling at me. I told her to shut up or I would kick her down a flight of steps. She ran back home and man oh man she would turn that music up every day. well I could not take it and kept calling the owner. he refused to come out. I went in my bathroom and plugged a rag in the sink. Turned the water on and let the house for hours. It flooded the first floor for hours. I came home that night and the floor was soaking wet. she was coming home with her bedding in on top of her push cart. I waited right by the step. I wanted her to say something I would beat he head in the concrete porch. After that she calmed herself down. when she would turn the music on I would go out the house. return home in the late night hours and jump from the bed to the floor. she could not sleep for hours. when she called the cop I told them I was sleeping. She learned to behave after that. I don't bother anyone and stay to myself but I sure won't let you mess me over too long. My mom and her are good friends.
@RubyHawk (21698)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@sharon6345 Looks like you showed her a thing or two.
Hearing this makes me really glad I live in a mobile home on a half acre far enough away from most of my neighbors that their silly noises won't bother me. Of course there are occasions when one or another will have a loud party but I simply don't let that bother me because it doesn't happen that often. Do you have a superintendent you could call about this problem? Maybe they could move him to a ground floor unit farther away from you.
@RubyHawk (21698)
• Atlanta, Georgia
We only have management and they have told us to call the police. According to them they can't put him out otherwise.
Those idiots could move him into a ground floor unit so that he wouldn't be able to bug so many people @RubyHawk I'll bet you're not the only ones miffed about him.
@RubyHawk (21698)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@rebelann the people on the ground floor underneath us also hear him.We have discussed it. Neighbors on each side of him are seldom home and have nothing to say.
@velvet53 (16142)
• Palisade, Colorado
Maybe try to talk to him one more time before you have to do something else.
@RubyHawk (21698)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I have thought about that too, but he has already told me he has mental issues, so I don't want to put myself in harms way.
@velvet53 (16142)
• Palisade, Colorado
@RubyHawk Understandable. Would talking to the people that runs the place where you live be able to do something about this?
@RubyHawk (21698)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@velvet53 Only after we call the police twice on two different occasions.
@acelawrites (10933)
If he has mental problems, is he not a danger living there? He should be watched by a relative or someone if he acts that way. He could be a real nuisance! Hope he transfers to another place.
@RubyHawk (21698)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I had to bang on the ceiling last night, but he quieted down and we heard nothing more for him. I wish the poor guy would move.
@acelawrites (10933)
@RubyHawk He really should move away; he is an insensitive neighbor!
@RubyHawk (21698)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@acelawrites I don't feel that he's insensitive. I believe he has control conflicts.
• Portland, Connecticut
I might try talking to management to see if they could explain to him how annoying the noise is.
@RubyHawk (21698)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Our management wont do anything until we call the police twice, then they will put him put him out.
• Portland, Connecticut
@RubyHawk Well that is pretty bad of them, there are lots of annoying things that are not police issues that management should deal with. Seriously, the police have serious domestic issues to deal with.
@RubyHawk (21698)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@BelleStarr You are completely right. Police have enough on their hands without dealing with annoying neighbors.
@marie42 (982)
• Shreveport, Louisiana
I would keep talking to him and keep using your broomstick ;) hopefully one of those will work. I used to live in situations like that and hated it. Luckily I have my own home and don't have to deal with that.
@RubyHawk (21698)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I've never lived in an apartment before, but we've lived here almost 14 years and don't want to move. usually it's a very quiet place.
@marie42 (982)
• Shreveport, Louisiana
@RubyHawk I am all for piece and quiet lol
@RubyHawk (21698)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@marie42 That's me, I like order.
Have you tried asking him to be a little more quiet? I am sure you have, I just can't think of anything else to do...
@RubyHawk (21698)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Yes, I spoke to him, that's why I feel so sorry for him. He told me some of his problems and some of it is mental issues.
@RubyHawk This is a tough situation. =(
@RubyHawk (21698)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@LovingMyBabies It is, I hope he can get help and settle down.
i'd be speakin' with the manager 'f the place, let'em figure't out with that fella. if'n he's mentally unstable, ya goin' 'n speakin' with him yerself might not be the best idea. perhaps they can move him to a bottom floor unit? where his noisy habits'll not be 's likely to disturb others?
@RubyHawk (21698)
• Atlanta, Georgia
We have talked to management and they wont do anything. They told us if we called the police on two different occasions they could throw the guy out. Trouble is I hate to have him thrown out. I think he's a good guy that gets out of control. I keep hoping things will change for the better.
We live in a quiet house in a quiet neighborhood with quiet neighbors. In our condo in Florida, people are very considerate of each other. I would tell him to try to be more quiet, especially at night, so you can relax and get some sleep.
@RubyHawk (21698)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I did that and he seemed to understand, but he explained that he has mental problems so I wont go there again. I feel sorry for him and I hope he can get help. We don't normally have problems with our neighbors.
I think if you don't want to call the police your only hope is that he moves out on his own. I thankfully live in a single family home so I don't have to deal with noisy people above me thankfully! The neighbors near don't really bother me.
@RubyHawk (21698)
• Atlanta, Georgia
We have only had one other problem in the nearly 14 years we've lived here. We did call the police on them because I was afraid the guy would kill the girl. He beat her and she would scream. We called twice and management made them move.
@sol_cee (14333)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
My story is different. We have this neighbor who would 'beat his/her ceiling with the broom handle' even if I and my housemate are walking in tiptoes.
@RubyHawk (21698)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I don't do that unless it's after 11: PM and it sounds like he's about to break the ceiling down.
@ricki_911 (19033)
• Toronto, Ontario
I can't say I hate my neighbours that much. I rarely if ever see them.
@RubyHawk (21698)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I don't hate any of my neighbors, they are all nice and friendly, this guy is the only bothersome one.
• Marion, Kansas
If the broom stick works, keep using it. Maybe keep on reminding him. I imagine if he ever "gets it" he will be very good.
@RubyHawk (21698)
• Atlanta, Georgia
that's exactly what I've decided to do, if that stops working, I suppose we will have to call the police much as I hate to.
I would hate to live in an apartment like you, noisy neighbours can really spoil your life. Perhaps you could ask your landlord to have a word with him.
@RubyHawk (21698)
• Atlanta, Georgia
We've spoken to management but they wont do anything until we call the police twice, then he will be put out. I really don't want to do that, so I will continue using my broom stick and hope that stops him.
calling the police should not get him kicked out here where I live people have to be quiet after nine p m and we have called several times when we lived in apts and the people never got kicked out.
@RubyHawk (21698)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I don't know, I really don't want to call the police to find out. Although management told us that's the only way they can put him out.