The circular logic of the two-party system in politics

By JJ
"I'm voting for Hillary because I hate Trump." "I'm voting for Trump because I hate Hillary." Um...what about voting for someone else? "I'm not going to vote for an Independent, they'll never get enough votes to win and I might as well just vote for the person I hate before I do that." Um...why won't they get enough votes to win? "Because no one is going to vote for someone that can't win." But what if everyone that keeps saying 'I won't vote for an Independent because an Independent can't win' instead of saying they can't win actually voted for them? (dead silence) It's such a simple solution that it seems to just go right over the top of people's heads... This country can't make any real progress until people start pulling their heads out of the sand.
@boiboing (12475)
• Northampton, England
So will you be standing JJ? You'd get my vote and Scars not that either of us qualify, me being a 'ferner' and him being a cat.
I really wouldn't want the job, honestly. Scar and I aren't big on being in the public spotlight.
@boiboing (12475)
• Northampton, England
@JolietJake At least Scar wouldn't plagiarise somebody else's speech.
@boiboing (12475)
• Northampton, England
@owlwings Would he build a wall to keep the critters he didn't like out? And would he make them pay for it?
I hate the 2 party thing, and prob WILL vote independent this go
I have for the past several elections...maybe someday it will even make a difference.
@JolietJake more votes help them get more funding anyways, after a certain point
@owlwings (38284)
• Cambridge, England
What other options are there? We certainly haven't heard of any this side of the pond (but then what do we matter?) All we hear of over here are the Fart Man and a faint aside about some woman with a vaguely familiar name who brazened out her husband's peccadillos. I don't know what the media over here are wanting but they certainly seem to be expecting a Republican president - disastrous as that will probably be for the rest of the world! Go on. Stick your neck out! Who (of any other than the above two) do you think would make a good President? What about Condi Rice, then (even though I don't think she's running)? Black AND a woman - is that too much for America to handle? ... or does being a good Foreign Secretary not qualify one for being a good President? What does America actually WANT as a President? Would a puppet of the elected government (as we have here as our 'leader') be more acceptable?
There are several other parties with candidates in the election, but mass media plays into the hands of the Democrats and Republicans by totally ignoring them for the most part.
@owlwings (38284)
• Cambridge, England
@JolietJake It's all a matter of who has the most money (and other inducements) to pay the media to promote them, it seems to me. You haven't answered my question, though.
Of course, the majority of them will not have a candidate on the main ballot, but this will give you an idea...
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search This is a dynamic list and may never be able to satisfy particular standards for completeness. You can help by expanding it with reliably sourced entries. This is a list of political parties