My First Morning Glory!

@Raelove (17586)
Saco, Maine
When I got back from the store just now, I noticed that my very first morning glory had opened. I got so excited that I ran inside to get my camera. Judging from the buds clustered around this one, many more will be opening in the days to come. Not only do I love this flower for its simple beauty and mystery, it also reminds me of my mother, who grew some one year near our back porch. So I dedicate this flower to her, as well as all those that will bloom from here on out. She would be as happy as I am to finally see them opening. Photo Copyright@2016 Rachel Lovejoy
I love morning glories. In some places here they grow almost wild, but I have never been able to have them at my home.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
They're a little challenging to grow. You have to soak the seeds to soften them before planting, and that doesn't always work.
@Raelove I´ll try that.
That is some kind of blue. How long does it bloom?
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
Each flower opens early in the morning and then fades by evening.
Very pretty kind of blue!
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks...yes, that's the old heirloom blue, which is my favorite.
• Uzbekistan
Yes, these are pretty flowers. I think they don't need much caring and attention.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
No, they don't. Once they get going, you just leave them alone to do their thing. They never disappoint.
• Uzbekistan
@Raelove They're perennial, aren't they?
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
@MALUSE No, not here. Our winters get too cold. I believe there is a wild variety that does grow year-round. But its flowers are much smaller. This type has to go into the ground once it has warmed enough.
@rina110383 (24070)
My favorite color! Blue! I just love looking at blue flowers.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
There are other colors of morning glories, but this is still my favorite, as it's one of the very few true blue flowers.
@Ceerios (4753)
• Goodfellow, Texas
@Raelove - Ms Rachel - One of these days you are going to walk by that Morning Glory flower in its old age, all brown and shriveled up, and it is going to tell you, "Thanks for making that photograph of me for my friend, Gus. He goes for blue in a big way."
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
Hey, Mr. Gus. My pleasure. As for walking by that morning glory when it's old, that'll be later today. Glad you enjoyed the photo! (This flower was also the reason that blue was MY favorite color as a child.)
that looks wonderful there RAE
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
Thank you, Fredo. I'm so proud of it!
@Dena91 (4634)
It's beautiful. I'm sure your Mom would be happy to see them blooming. Have a blessed day
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
Thanks. I know she would.
@xFiacre (5177)
@raelove I love morning glory. When I lived in Africa we had an entire gable wall covered in them every morning, a blanket of blue that nearly blinded us when we looked at it.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
Oh, that must have been spectacular.
A lovely flower dedicated to your mother. We had a white gazebo in our last house, and morning glories graced that gazebo on all sides. Quite a show those beauties put on for us.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
They do seem to fit well against a white background. Thanks!
That is very sweet to dedicate it to your mother. It is very pretty. I can see why you wanted to take a picture of it.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
I take many photos of flowers. The morning glories are among my favorites, but I don't grow them every year.
@Raelove Nice picture you took Rachel.
@Raelove (17586)
• Saco, Maine
@Hannihar Thank you...