How much would you pay for a book?

@Meramar (2407)
Recently, I found a book on Internet which caught immediately my attention. It's an autobiography about a musician called Herbert Thomas Mandl. Maybe, someone asks why it caught my attention. Well, he was born in Bratislava, when Checoslovaquia still was one country instead of separated into two republics as we know it today. His wife, also a pianist, was originary from Prague, as myself too. He grew up in a german jewish surrounding. Pursued by the nazis, he and his father passed a time in an assembly center in Germany. My family, we are not jewish, but we emigrated to Germany, where I grew up. There, his wife, Mrs Mandl, was one of my teachers on the high school. She gave us classes in Music, to me and to my two oldern sisters. I still remember that she told us a little bit about her passed, when she tried to escape and get to the United States. Mr and Mrs Mandl passed away in 2006. They had an activ life full of history and emotions. So I decided that I want to read the book. For me, it has a special value. One of my sisters told me that she would not pay the almost fifty euros the book costs. But, I am a book worm and it contains plenty of historical information of one of the darkest history in Europe. I suppose that I will cry somewhere during the lecture of the book, a real history about almost sixhundred pages. But, I don't mind. Today I received it and I will start to read it tonight. How much would you pay for a book? Do you have a favorite one? Which value has got your favorite book for you?
@meramar Is fifty euros a lot of money? I go by dollars, and I do have my name down for books on my Kindle that are new and cost about 13 or 14 dollars. I don't know if I could afford a 50 euros book as I don't know the value in dollars! But books are precious to me! I usually buy physical copies in dollar stores where one store every book is a dollar, and the other is about 3 dollars or less a book
@Meramar (2407)
It depends of the daily exchange rate, but 50 euros are rughly 55 US dollars. Usually, I don't pay so much for a book unless, as you said, the book has got a special vally to me.
@Meramar I don't think I ever spent 55 dollars for a book! Not even near that amount but I could see why you would buy this book as it does have meaning to you. Hope you find it worth the money even if just for the specialty of it. Do you know the author to know if they would write a good book with the word choice used? I hope it turns out well written! I also hope it doesn't make you cry like I think you mentioned some of it might make you do.
@Meramar (2407)
@Marty1 Well, it is the first time I spent so much for one book and I won't do it really often. But, it has got a special meaning and I already started to read it. Maybe my mom and my sister afterwards will do too. Once I'll finish it, maybe I can resale it, of course rather under its price, but I may recover at least a (small) part. The author of this book wasn't really a writer in his lifetime, as he was a musician who studied philosophy, psicology and anglistic. He was a well prepaired person like most of the jewish people. I admire these persons who dedicate part of their life to study a lot to get well prepaired.
• Israel
I love books. This is not how I would have paid, only a few can afford to pay a lot If I was rich I would buy all the books lol not more $ 20-25 if is really good
@Meramar (2407)
Me too, if I was rich, I maybe would have one of the biggest library around the world :-)
• Israel
@Meramar hahaha call me when that happens
@skysnap (17817)
From 99c to 6$... not more than that for sure.
@Meramar (2407)
For those rates, we don't get many books here in Spain, unless you buy them in second hand stores. Nowadays, most of them are very expensive as they ask for more then 20$ for just one book.
@skysnap (17817)
@Meramar thats pricey. i guess kindle is much cheaper in that case.
@akalinus (15720)
It depends on how much I want to read it.
@Meramar (2407)
The quality of the book and the author plays a big role, too.
@Meramar I wouldn't buy a book for a lot unless it had special meaning or else it was by a special author i enjoyed many of the said author's books!
Depend fo what kind of book I like
@Meramar (2407)
Exactly, that's why the opinions will be quite different.
@Meramar Gotcha
@jayaramas (1358)
• Bangalore, India
it depends on our interest.
@Meramar (2407)
That's right, a book receives the value you give to.
@jayaramas (1358)
• Bangalore, India
@Meramar yes. some books are sold for free